Are you superstitious?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Not just when it comes to golf but life in general? Though it could be golf related too.

Things like wearing the same shirt when your favorite team plays, sitting in the same spot, eating the same meal before a round of golf, drinking the same drink, etc.

Friday 13Th Superstition GIF by AIDES

Friday 13Th Superstition GIF by AIDES

//obligatory office gif

Not really. Except for shirts when watching sports.

Not anymore - In College, when the Cardinals won the 2011 World Series, I had a day full of studying and classes with midterms. Me and a couple of buddies weren't able to eat until right before first pitch, and the Cardinals ended up winning Game 1.

We then decided for every game of the World Series we were going to fast until first pitch and sit in the exact same spots for every single game

The only thing that falls into that category is not tempting fate. Too many instances of saying one thing and the next minute the opposite happens. Especially in golf!

But to actually answer your question, for golf: only "ritual or superstition "I have is I have to find a broken tee for par 3s or when I use any other club than driver on a tee box.. I mean, i don't haaaaave to, but if i can't find one, I am pretty uncomfortable over the ball.

Life wise.... or I guess work wise, you never talk about it being quiet on practice days or start talking about certain injuries right before a game. just bad juju

Only when it comes to watching my sports teams. Shirt, sitting in the same spot, standing when they score and then not wanting to sit back down. It's annoying.

The only thing that falls into that category is not tempting fate. Too many instances of saying one thing and the next minute the opposite happens. Especially in golf!

Yeah this probably qualifies as superstition , but that's how i see it too.

Like if i'm playing well i won't be like "i can't miss today fellas!" after 8 holes.

Not super just a little stitious

Nope. Not at all.

I used to be.

Office gif aside, I am a little bit here and there. Wear a specific shirt when I go to a big pitch meeting is probably my biggest now days

I have always wonder when routine and superstition collide. I have a preshot routine and a pre-golf routine. I warmup with my Hyperice venom back wrap and then use a foam roller before stretching. Probably not superstition. A turkey sausage egg and cheese on a wheat bagel and an iced coffee before every round, perhaps a little superstitious. It's the perfect amount of food to get me through at least the front 9 without weighing me down.

In hockey, I always put my lower goalie gear on (without a chest protector) and went in the hallway to bounce a tennis ball exactly 30 times to warm up my hand eye coordination. That being said I was never particularly superstitious with things like not stepping on the foul line in baseball or not skating over the center ice logo during hockey warmies.

Knock 3 times on my end table everytime the announcers say how good my team is at something, or how bad the opponent is at something. Team clothes, shirt, shorts, and hat. Seat. A drink that matches team color. That's all I can think of, though my wife probably knows more. She finds it hilarious, because I rarely watch it live.

Absolutely not. I don't believe in psychics or astrology either. Give me cold, hard science please

I'm not.... but if one could wear a particular shirt, have a routine, or rub the fuzzy head of a treasure troll (with an emerald for a belly button) 46 times, to guarantee a favorable outcome, i'd be all over it. If anything, the opposite is true.... no matter what, i can almost bank on something going sideways.

Nope. Not in the slightest.

I remember exactly what happened for this illogical thought process to start. 1998, John Madden says Gary Anderson has not missed a field goal from inside 40 yards all season. I looked at my GF(now wife) and said "F**K, he just jinxed us. Now he will miss, Atlanta will score a TD, and win in OT." She thought I was crazy, but it happened just as I predicted.

I will not step on a crack…my mother seems too be ok at this point so I will continue avoiding them.

Very much so. Especially when it comes to watching my team play. I like to watch from the same spot and wearing the same attire until things go bad. Also, I have a specific coffee cup I drink from on game days and I have been known to make wardrobe changes in the middle of games if needed.

Lets lay out this scenario. You have been going to see a team all year and they have done well however one time a new person was in attendance and the team had their worst performance of the season. Should this person attend again or stay far away?

Not superstitious. As long as I have the Italian horn hanging from my neck or the car rear view mirror!!!

1708094374535.png

Back