As a follow up to the Speeding Ticket...What is the fastest you have ever gone in a car on the road?

I drove 155 in my Z24 (age 24 ish)

I was in my buddy's older brother's 1979 TransAM and we did 167. I was crammed in the back & was nearly p###ing myself (age: 14)

148 mph in a 5-speed Mustang GT. I was aiming to break 150, but started getting a shimmy and realized that if I balled it up at that speed they'd be scraping my remains off about a mile of road with a shovel and a strainer.

265 kph (165 mph) on the Autobahn in Germany. It was a BMW 750 IL. That car was so nice and the ride so smooth I didn't even feel I was going fast. It was actually golf related. I was headed to work the BWM International Open. It was the 2d year of the tourney and the organizers wanted english speakers on the 18th green Leaderboard and walking with the pros carrying the group score sign and I was selected to work it. I was stationed in Munich at the time.

I found the governor on my 99 Z28 LS1 on A6 inbetween Landstuhl and Ramstein to be 162 mph :) Loved having that car while in Germany

This sounds like a thread for @TonyB

170+? I had a 1999 WS6 Formula with heads, cam, nitrous, and we were going to a racetrack. I was following a guy in a 383 Camaro z28 , he went a little faster, I went a little faster....until I looked down and the 160speedo was pegged and we were still accelerating. I'm so glad we didn't kill anyone.

Hit 150 in the BMW after I first got it out on the highway in the national forest. It was unbelievably smooth, felt like cruising down the interstate.

130 in my 03 Cobra, which had the aerodynamics of a brick. Front end would lift and start floating around.

125 in a Trailblazer SS. Probably somewhere between 120-130 in my other mustangs. Did over 100 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee on the Garden State parkway because, well, you have to when you get your license in NJ or they take it back.

~135 mph in a supercharged Viper GTS that I was helping build up. That was in 4th gear going down an open stretch of highway. Still had 5th and 6th to go.

right at 115 in a Mustang. Faster on a bike, closer to 130 and never did it again. Once was enough.

As a young and stupid 17 yr old, I had my parents Plymouth Fury 3 up to 110 mph. I've not gone faster than that since.

145 - 150 mph in my old '78 Camaro back in my youth. It had a 454 in it ... damn that car was fast!
130 mph in my current 2018 Camaro. It still had some left in her when I finally took my foot off the pedal to coast. It's a different feeling going that fast in a convertible! :eek:

On the road not on a closed course or track. Every car I have ever owned I can tell you what the fastest it can go. The fastest top end car I ever owned was a Jaguar XJS...12 cylinder...It wouldn't go 0-60 in record speed...but it would go 60-120 in the same time it took yo go to 60. On route 80 from PA to NJ bobbing and weaving a few cars...just a few cars here and there...but when they are doing 60 and you are doing 152...it's like they are parked and you are doing 90...early around 6am on a Saturday back in 1981...

111 mph recently on an empty stretch of interstate. Wasn't really thinking about going fast or would have pushed it more.

120 mph about 18 yrs ago on an empty stretch of interstate

The problem with cars these days is that you can be going 100 and it feels so smooth and quiet ...

144 in my friends corvette on the highway. Its crazy how fast we were passing cars. Ill admit, it was scary.

140mph in a Toyota Supra. 170mph on a Kawasaki Ninja 900R. Both on the interstate.

240 kph or about 150 mph in a "slightly" modified 76 911 on a freeway in Melbourne, Australia.

280 kph/175mph, or faster thats burying the speedometer and it kept going so unsure really. Hyundai Genesis 2010
So I've heard

Last edited:
the speed limit. I only go the speed limit:LOL:

Reno Highway Patrol Lady clocked me @ 133 in a 2005 Porsche Boxster enroute to Colorado.....this was 3 years ago.

Autobahn in German. First unlimited section south from Frankfurt. learned that progressive braking is a VERY bad thing at 200 KPH. but a Volvo S70 will stay in the lane with all for wheels locked up at that speed. Top speed was slightly above that. in the 130 MPH range.

I've taken my car over 100 a number of times just to take it over 100, and I usually give up pretty quickly after that.

Not a clue what max speed was. If it has ever been faster when someone else was driving, I sure as hell wasn't looking.

I’ve owned trucks most of my adult life. In a car 132 and there was plenty left to go. On my motorcycle 173.

On a road/highway, 154mph as a passenger in a buddies Porsche Turbo. With me driving the fastest I can remember was about 125mph.

A few years ago I got to ride for over 90 minutes as a passenger in a chase vehicle with some U-2 Spy Plane pilots. The plan is very difficult to land and the process includes the extra pilot guiding the plane down to landing from a chase vehicle on the runway. It's was a lot of fun doing repetitive runs over 140 mph.:)

Looking at these posts, many of us should not be here today!

Back