At setup do you use an intermediate target?

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering - at setup do you use an intermediate target (twig, pebble, broken tee, etc.) a foot or two or three in front of your ball?

Or do you use a target well down the fairway - the pin, 150 marker, bunker, etc?

Thank you.

I always use something that I don't have to turn my body to see. I usually aligned 2-3 feet out down range after picking an eye marker from behind the ball.

I don’t think I do enough. I need to pick something out. For me it would be club path related.

Intermediate

Not normally, maybe I should more often

Just wondering - at setup do you use an intermediate target (twig, pebble, broken tee, etc.) a foot or two or three in front of your ball?

Or do you use a target well down the fairway - the pin, 150 marker, bunker, etc?

Thank you.
Yes always. takes away the fear of hitting a target so far away.

Any object on target near by. I imagine ball flying over the near by target towards the goal.

I do, I use a target where I want the ball to go, and use an intermediate target that aligns to that to aim my club face and set my feet.

Always something a few inches in front of the ball to swing over/through on my line. I dont know why anyone wouldnt do it.

Thanks for the reminder. Had forgotten about that preshot alignment routine.

I have but not for some time now. Good reminder to get back to it especially since I've been inconsistent with approach shots. Tomorrow I'll try to remember to do this.

it works well and I need to but don't always think about lining up to intermediate target

I always setup and align with intermediate target. After setting myself up,I take a look at the actual target and visualize the shot and boom.

I use an intermediate target all the time. To me it's an essential part of hitting my targeted landing area.

I even use an intermediate target on all my short gam shots.

I try to do this every shot.... I have a tendency to set up right of my target if I don't use an intermediate aiming spot

I’ve always done that when putting. I’ve been trying to do that more on my other shots as well. It does seem to help.

I do. I imagine a line between the intermediate target and my ball an try to get my feet lined up that way. It's a bit like using an alignment rod.

Picking something close to the ball to line up my aim is my preferred method but I must admit that at times I don’t always do it. Usually I get to playing too fast and don’t take the couple seconds to stand behind the ball and do it. I really need to start forcing myself to take those few extra seconds though.

Great thread. I have experimented with this to see what works. My body alignment is most critical for the longer game and target oriented. From the Tee I may pick out something on the box such as a leaf or twig to hit toward. I may put the tee in line with something to give that line up. It hasn't change my overall score but seems to make it easier to keep simple focus. I think target focus is better than all the other mental stuff that can go on.

My iron game is mostly hit toward target instead of picking out something close. I just haven't had the need to pick out anything when hitting irons. I aim my irons to where I am hitting.

Chipping/pitching is target based as well, whether that be on the ground area before pin or pin. Most of the time longer pitches are aimed in a line toward a spot on the green so rollout is good.

Putting varies, but do use lineup more when/if needed. If I feel I need something I use it (grass mark, whatever) and when the putts don't really need a line, I hit to target. It is really about distance of the putt and green layout for me that determines that.

Only for putting I use a small mark or something close so I get my line right

When driving I trust my aim and set up to placr the ball im more concentrating on a good swing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Always an intermediate target. Read about this in Jack Nicklaus's book, and figured if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

I always use an intermediate target just in front of the ball - I find it helps me to avoid the second-guessing nature of body alignment with my intended target as sometimes I can set up closed to my target and then pull the ball as a consequence trying to start it left of where my body is aiming

I always use one. Even if it's just some discoloration in the grass on the fairway. Off the tee I always locate myself with the ball behind a divot, broken tee, etc. so I know that when I don't hit the fairway that at least I was lined up correctly.

I will typically find an intermediate target a few feet in front of the ball to align with on tee shots only. Seems to work out quite well & should probably start on other shots as well.

Typically only when the shot is blind do I use an intermediate target.

I always pick a target well past where I'm going to hit the ball except for putts that I'm trying to get on line early.

Putting I'll use an intermediate target. All other shots I'll line up with the distant target.

Back