I only pick up stray balls if I fish them out of a hazard while looking for my own. I don't touch a ball which has any chance at all of belonging to another player on the course, even if I'm fairly certain that it doesn't.:

+100!

That is EXACTLY the way I think as well.

I never pick up balls that could be considered still in play, if they are in the woods or a hazard I'll grab em and usually leave them in the cart to be cleaned and put in the "buck a ball bucket" in the pro shop....unless it's a brand new Pro V:D

I've seen people do this at my home course before and I always call them out on it, you did nothing wrong.

I wouldn't shut up about it and they had no right to badmouth any of you. I don't know what their problem was. It was your partner's ball so they have no right. Just sounds like a bunch of a-holes to me.

Also, if I couldn't ID a ball just by looking at it, I would pick it up and see what it is and immediately place it back where it was.

I don't touch other guys' balls unless I have to.

I could have not said it any better :thumb:

I bet they think twice about picking up a ball that isn't theirs in the future.

There is a reason a wayward ball is sitting in your fairway, just leave it alone. Point it out to someone looking for it and be on your way.
Yeah, no kidding. Nothing annoys me more than people doing that. If a ball is in play, obviously someone hit it there and are going to be looking for it. Duh.

Basically. If the Ball is not Yours Do not touch it. Nothing is more annoying than walking to where you hit your ball only to find it is no longer there.
As for yelling at the guy that had Picked the ball up. What else would you do.I think you did exactly the right thing And showed remarkable restraint under the circumstances.

Back