Ball above or below your feet? What is your preference?

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Based off Agent Jay's uphill/downhill lie thread, here's a variation.

You only have these two choices. And for the sake of the thread, say it's substantial, like four to six inches off level. Something where you really gotta squat down to get, or choke down to hit.

I prefer ball below my feet. My normal flight is left to right anyway, and I know what to expect. When it's above my feet, I know it's supposed to go left, but I rarely seem to get the aim correct.

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
i don't think i have a preference. i guess above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
Below without a doubt. I've gotten pretty comfortable at playing the cut (knowing it's going to from that lie) where the ball above my feet sometimes draws some times hooks sometimes stays straight on me.

kb1042

#TeamCobra
Reaction score
Handicap
Above. Not sure why but I do better with that shot.

golfinnut

Way too close to JohnSInVA!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Above the feet is always easier for the right handed player.

v.man

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
W.I.P.
I prefer the ball above my feet. Both require compensations, but, for me the ball below my feet is more difficult, and misses can be really worse. The reason is that. although most of the time your going to get a left to right fade off the downhill lie (right handed golfer), there is a pretty good risk if it is a severe slope that the heel of the club might dig in and you get a nasty hook when you were playing for the fade--very, very ugly. With the ball above my feet, I'm pretty confident of the contact, and the right to left movement of the ball.

kb1042

#TeamCobra
Reaction score
Handicap
Above. Not sure why but I do better with that shot.

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Below. As someone who fights a hook I will take a left to right opportunity every chance I get.

ken_h

Perpetual Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
12.1 GHIN
Above for sure.

greg19

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Growing!
I prefer above. It ends up being more of a baseball swing and that's what I grew up playing

Agent Jay

Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I prefer the ball above my feet for sure. Since I'm short, choking down on my clubs to hit this shot is comfortable for me. If I'm worried about hitting to much of a pull, then I might open the face just a small amount, too.

StanTheCaddy

Who wants 2 have some fun
Reaction score
Handicap
9.8 USGA
Ball above my feet. As someone whose miss is a fade, anything below my feet can be ugly.

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Below. I'm going to thin a shot above my feet most times. Below my feet I might thin occasionally, but can usually do well.

WMac19

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Above every time. That shot follows the accepted tendency for me in that the slope will encourage a right to left shot.

Whereas below my feet, I'll blow up the natural tendency by pulling the shot every single time. Except of course when I actually aim right, then I'll hit a beautiful left to right shot, waaaay right of target.

If I aim left like the shot demands or straight, it's a pull every time. Nearly always a solid strike, just left.

cpljohnst

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils
Reaction score
Handicap
16.0 GHIN
Above my feet. I generally get a right to left ball flight off of flat ground, so I know what to expect and how far to aim from this type of lie.

Now I don't like the really crazy, ball at waist level, above my feet. Then its like some kind of funky mix between softball, teeball and golf, and I've got no idea where the ball is going!

Annhl8rX

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'll take it above my feet every time. I still get my aim wrong, but I have a much better chance of making good contact. Staying down in the ball is difficult for me on even ground, and that's just magnified if the ball is below my feet.

afwcardinal

Go Cards
Reaction score
Handicap
????
I don't get much opportunity to practice either sit, but above my feet is preferred. Below my feet is where I struggle unbelievably.

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Above, my clubs are probably already a little short so anything below my feet is instant top

TonyB

Reaction score
Handicap
Above for sure. Below my feet is usually bad!

Phil75070

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
Definitely above. I don't know how others play it but I choke up and move the ball back in my stance and have had pretty good success doing it that way. Below my feet I somehow over compensate too often and double-cross myself hitting it left.

obedt

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
I'll take it above my feet every time. I still get my aim wrong, but I have a much better chance of making good contact. Staying down in the ball is difficult for me on even ground, and that's just magnified if the ball is below my feet.
Exactly this for me

tequila4kapp

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Definitely above for me.

Clutch42

Happy to be here!
Reaction score
Handicap
14.6 usga
Below the feet for me, I don't know if I concentrate more or what, but I usually end up with a good shot. Above my feet , not so much.

tahoebum

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Below every time. When it's below my feet I can stand closer, flex my knees a bit more, make my swing steeper and use the full length of the shaft to get full distance out of the shot. If it's above my feet the aiming compensation is much larger and I lose distance because it forces me to choke down on the club. My home course is super hilly so I get a lot of practice on above and below my feet lies.

Hamfist

I fluff my gimmies.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
Above. When it is below, I am a horrible amalgamtion of posts 16, 17, 18, and 19 above.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in