ball compression to swing speed

BroD

Reaction score
Handicap
Been playing indoor (for the winter with a 'full swing' system) and heard someone say,, 'your choice of ball and its compression should match your swing speed'.
Any thoughts on this statement? all I could say is 'Hummmm....'

I have so many thoughts on this. Lol

The first being that if they want people to stop worrying about it like this so much, companies need to actually stop talking about it in terms of swing speed. They want us not to focus on that with compression, but they continue to use it as a guideline. It's ridiculous.

I'm a little old and weak at the moment. and driver swing speed average is 85... makes me want to cry, but it is what it is... and I do like a soft ball especially if the course uncovers in the winter months...

Bridgestone swears that ball compression and swing speed is correlated.

Titleist disagrees.

Ymmv

I think about this a lot too.

I play a Q-star tour.... which has a 74 compression... so this sounds about right with a 85 swing speed on driver and around 70 on my hard hit irons.

I play a Q-star tour.... which has a 74 compression... so this sounds about right with a 85 swing speed on driver and around 70 on my hard hit irons.
My driver swing speed is in the mid 80's and I also play the Q-star tour. The softer feel off my irons irons is a comfortable fit and the increased launch adds to my short game.

I play the ball that fits my style of play not my swing speed. I think that’s the way, but I am just me and not anyone else.

Bridgestone swears that ball compression and swing speed is correlated.

Titleist disagrees.

Ymmv
I went to a softer ball recently, from a TP5X to a Bridgestone RXS. The RXS is a bit easier to shape shots with the scoring clubs, my assumption is that is because it spends more time on the club face, and compresses more, getting a better grip on the face at my reduced old fart swing speeds. 84-85 mph is all I can muster out of a PW any more

With the ball of yesteryear this was probably true. The golf ball core has evolved so much that compression and swing speed aren’t necessarily synonymous. Jason Finley with Callaway Golf has told us multiple times that now that simple isn’t the deciding factor. I’d say that holds true with many of the golf ball companies who’ve recently released golf balls.

Use the golf ball that compliments your game from a spin, trajectory, distance and feel perspective and don’t worry about the rest.

FWIW, on the PGAT significantly more players use the lower compression prov1 than the v1x

FWIW, on the PGAT significantly more players use the lower compression prov1 than the v1x
This is not accurate. The split is nearly 50/50.

Been playing indoor (for the winter with a 'full swing' system) and heard someone say,, 'your choice of ball and its compression should match your swing speed'.
Any thoughts on this statement? all I could say is 'Hummmm....'
@JasonFinleyCG knows a lot about golf balls and @vgolfman knows a lot about fitting, maybe one of them will see this and weigh in on the topic when they have a moment.

Favorite ball is RXS due too it's greenside spin characteristics. If I play the RX I'll get maybe 6yds more on iron shots - driver is basically a wash distance wise but the RX has a more boring flight into the wind. Might lose 4to5yds carry but total distance will be about 10yds more.

During the winter I'll play the Supersoft - lose a little greenside spin but gain so yardage on both irons & driver.

I'm mid 90 ss 143yd 7i

93 to 95 driver swing speed so fairly pedestrian. My balls of choice are the pro V1x and vice pro plus. Both higher compression harder balls, but they work well for me I prefer the more solid feel especially when it comes to putting.

I don't agree with that blanket statement. So many different metrics to consider when choosing a ball. It is all about optimizing the ball toward what a player wants or needs. Of course, there is always compromises.

Favorite ball is RXS due too it's greenside spin characteristics. If I play the RX I'll get maybe 6yds more on iron shots - driver is basically a wash distance wise but the RX has a more boring flight into the wind. Might lose 4to5yds carry but total distance will be about 10yds more.

During the winter I'll play the Supersoft - lose a little greenside spin but gain so yardage on both irons & driver.

I'm mid 90 ss 143yd 7i
Is your 7i 143 yd a carry or total distance? Just trying to compare to mine. Thanks.

'your choice of ball and its compression should match your swing speed'
But don't most say to choose your ball from the green backwards? Which would make the "compression = speed" argument irrelevant.

A firmer ball will always be faster. No matter the swing speed.

Correct. It will not always be longer though
Yep. That’s why I stopped at faster. Lots of other things come into play after that.

@JasonFinleyCG knows a lot about golf balls and @vgolfman knows a lot about fitting, maybe one of them will see this and weigh in on the topic when they have a moment.
Glad you mentioned Jason. I came to quote this post of his in the Chrome Tour thread. To the OP, the last sentence is directed at someone else, but I left it in there to show that it’s still not strictly about speed

Keep in mind, speed is really only one component and there is no level of truth to you not having enough speed to play the CTX. What are you needing out of a ball? Do you want the most speed off the Driver? Do you want maximum spin on ful shots and around the green? Do you like a firmer feel? Seeing your game and the way you play i would think you would benefit more from CT or CS but it is not because of your speed.

Back