Ball mark repair errors

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How often do you see people repairing ball marks incorrectly?

I see it all the time. They pry and pry up on that ball mark. I can only assume they do so because that's what they see the pros do on TV (and I'm not sure why the pros do it).

What else should be done to teach people the right way to repair a ball mark?

Last edited:
I think it's more common for me to see ball marks not being repaired at all than incorrectly. I'm not sure which is worse, really.

One of our courses had a little info-graphic up in the pro shop last summer about proper repair techniques, and even had a deal on repair tools to encourage players. At least it seemed they sold a lot of tools anyway.

I agree with @YukonLiving . I see many more unrepaired ball marks than those repaired. Obviously a correct repair is pretty much unseen, but still.

Probably not an acceptable thought, but even a poorly repaired ball mark, might be better than no repair at all. Or vice versa

At our course they've got signs every where on how to repair ball marks.

I’ve seen it done quite a bit, and can tell where it had previously been done on the greens. I think it gets done incorrectly most often because that is the quickest way they know how to do it, but at least the effort was put forth to try unlike the ones left. I usually fix at least 2 most every time, if it’s a foursome and I’m waiting it can get near double digits some times.

Probably from watching a lot of pros do it badly on tv and they think they are helping by doing the same. At least they are trying. I commented this in another thread, I was out at a supposedly higher end course near me on Sunday, my playing partner and I were fixing a minimum of 4 marks per green each while waiting to put in our foursome.

Another course I played on Sat, had nice repair tools for free to take along with your score card, I grabbed a couple just to have spares in my bag to hand out to people who "forgot" theirs when I am playing in future.

I’ve seen it done quite a bit, and can tell where it had previously been done on the greens. I think it gets done incorrectly most often because that is the quickest way they know how to do it, but at least the effort was put forth to try unlike the ones left. I usually fix at least 2 most every time, if it’s a foursome and I’m waiting it can get near double digits some times.
I think with people that don’t know how that they see and indention and think “I need to get this flat” so they lift up to make it flat. I see people at my club that have played golf for years that do it wrong.

Politely get in their ear about it? We learn by being taught, right? It's not great to do it wrong. I would rather they not do it at all than do it wrong and kill it.

One of our courses had a little info-graphic up in the pro shop last summer about proper repair techniques
This would help sooooo much! I think something this simple would make a big difference

I don’t play with people who make ball marks very often. For us it’s a privilege to fix one properly :LOL:

I do play with a handful of new golfers who I’ve shown how to repair them properly

I see both unrepaired and incorrectly repaired ball marks all the time. I have suggested it before but I think that especially now with all the new and returning players to the game during the pandemic there should be some sort of etiquette classes including where to leave your clubs/bags when hitting shots, how to keep pace of play (what pace of play should be) and taking care of the course.

This would obviously include fixing ball marks and replacing divots/proper use of the range. Make it free and easy for everyone to do it. Hell offer it on zoom.

I also think the USGA should be tweeting/IG/Facebooking all this stuff every few days. rotate it in on all the social media and hope some of it sinks in to even a few knuckleheads.

Yikes! hate to see the pulling up of the turf to yield a huge brown spot.

course has it posted, yet still see the brown spots occasionally... remember a curteous golfer repairs their ball mark + 1 more

Something like this?

1623808286583.png

Exactly like that, but I still see people doing it wrong all the time.

Ancient rules of golf
Play the course as you find it!
Play the ball as it lies!
So I dont repair anything, they have professional greens keepers, that’s what greens fees are for!

I hope this was sarcasm.

when I see people trying to fix ball marks, they usually are doing it wrong. I used to do it wrong till I learned better. It makes me cringe now when I see someone do it wrong.

They have a tractor with big rollers that make perfect greens professional
As a greens keeper they could not afford me
Sorry is I’m a little anti-social
With some people social distancing is a blessing in disguise
After covid I still know people I don’t want to hang out with

I repaired them the wrong way for a long time until I saw the right way on a club bathroom wall.

Have repaired them the right way ever since.

"How often do you see people repairing ball marks incorrectly?"

Almost as often as I see them leaving greenside bunker rakes half-in / half-out of the bunker ... and horribly raked.

I'm probably a little aggressive with my repairs. But I just use one of the 2/3 old school rubber coated tools. Definitely easier to fix in the morning before the grass on the greens gets crispy...

Yeah... I see more unfixed, than poorly fixed. The ones that drive me crazy are the ones within 10 feet of the hole. You know someone in the group should have seen it & fixed it.

I think it's more common for me to see ball marks not being repaired at all than incorrectly. I'm not sure which is worse, really.

One of our courses had a little info-graphic up in the pro shop last summer about proper repair techniques, and even had a deal on repair tools to encourage players. At least it seemed they sold a lot of tools anyway.

My home course has the graphics up in the pro shop, restaurant and every bathroom both in house and on the course.
I still fix at least 3 ball marks on every green. Inconsiderate golfers are everywhere. :mad:

Back