BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

No, they are different rubs, but similar in color. The one on the baby backs is a little bit of a sweeter rub then the other one. My new thing is rib glazes, I love them, so I finish the ribs with a sweet/spicy glaze.

That’s cool. I will have to try the glaze next time I make ribs. Do you foil them at the end?

I've done it both ways, but I think today I will foil them and do the 3-2-1 method, just because it's been a while since I have done it that way.

I am not familiar with the 3-2-1 method.

Do you cook both racks the same amount of time because they are different sizes?

I am not familiar with the 3-2-1 method.

Do you cook both racks the same amount of time because they are different sizes?

I am sure they will cook a bit differently, but the 3-2-1 method is just a guide. You smoke the ribs for 3 hours, than you wrap them in aluminum foil (some people like to add brown sugar, honey and butter at this stage) for 2 hours and then you unwrap them for the final hour.

Most of the time I don't bother wrapping, instead I just spray them with apple juice every 45 minutes or so. Then the last hour I sauce and than glaze.

I am sure they will cook a bit differently, but the 3-2-1 method is just a guide. You smoke the ribs for 3 hours, than you wrap them in aluminum foil (some people like to add brown sugar, honey and butter at this stage) for 2 hours and then you unwrap them for the final hour.

Most of the time I don't bother wrapping, instead I just spray them with apple juice every 45 minutes or so. Then the last hour I sauce and than glaze.

Interesting. Thanks for explaining that to me. I like how they go unwrapped for the last part. Sounds cool... dang now I want to make ribs today. Good thing the twins like ribs haha

They are just about ready.

a02d16041f957c96dee446db5f0fdbe4.jpg

989b617e00ac58ff696da5d2b8f922de.jpg

I do it both ways sometimes I wrap sometimes I don’t but this time I did wrap. The picture you’re seeing is after they came out of the wrap and I put on some sauce and rib glaze.
Ah very good, looks great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

More experiments last night

584bf42b4495e332298f8d355d004eb4.jpg

Tried a new rub on the chicken breasts.

27c48b990ab33354c3d1ee8f814fda3a.heic

Had some leftover crab cakes and just tried something with them.

They were awesome! I did one a little sweet and one a little savory/spicy.

Nice! That’s usually what I have to do in my house, my wife does not like spicy.

Did you follow a recipe for the glaze?

The wings did not last long... haha

Nice! That’s usually what I have to do in my house, my wife does not like spicy.

Did you follow a recipe for the glaze?

I prefer my ribs sweet, but I had a new rub and sauce I wanted to try and they were more on the spicy side. I was surprised how much I liked both. I was also surprised that I liked the spare ribs this time better than the baby backs. The baby backs were fattier, the spare ribs were pure delicious meat.

I prefer my ribs sweet, but I had a new rub and sauce I wanted to try and they were more on the spicy side. I was surprised how much I liked both. I was also surprised that I liked the spare ribs this time better than the baby backs. The baby backs were fattier, the spare ribs were pure delicious meat.

Good to know about the differences in the ribs. I am definitely going to try different ribs. I have only done the St. Louis cut so far

Good to know about the differences in the ribs. I am definitely going to try different ribs. I have only done the St. Louis cut so far

Normally I am all about the baby backs, but they were just too fatty this time. The last time I made spare ribs they were really tough, but this time they were perfect. I think wrapping them was key for that style rib.

Normally I am all about the baby backs, but they were just too fatty this time. The last time I made spare ribs they were really tough, but this time they were perfect. I think wrapping them was key for that style rib.

Always about figuring out what you like and what works best for your style.

I grabbed some Apple wood chunks at Walmart and I really like the difference in flavor vs. the hickory I was using.

That's the fun in BBQ'ing and grilling, trying new things.

Yup!

I watched a PBS series that they did with Franklin BBQ and it was awesome! His advice was to switch things up but on change one thing for each cook. That way you can tell the differences between what you did. I went full nerd mode and made a BBQ journal haha

Yup!

I watched a PBS series that they did with Franklin BBQ and it was awesome! His advice was to switch things up but on change one thing for each cook. That way you can tell the differences between what you did. I went full nerd mode and made a BBQ journal haha

I think that's awesome! Franklin is kind of a BBQ rebel because he often goes against everything everyone else does, yet has arguably the most popular BBQ place in the country. I like him, and have watched quite a few things with him.

Did you do your spare ribs St. louis style?

I don’t know what St. Louis style is. I cooked them on the pellet grill.
It's just the cut of ribs used. You most likely did. The tip and skirt side is removed for a uniform cut to cook.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back