Ben Hogan Equalizer II Wedges

Glad to see this bumped as I was thinking about posting a review while playing yesterday.

I'm really finding a nice comfort level with these. I absolutely love the 50 for not only full swing approach shots, but for greenside work. Bump and run shots, toe down low spinners, 50 yard back foot darts, etc.

My 54 and 58 have been really nice for a variety of shots also including more basic pitch shots where you just need clean contact. These wedges allowed me to get up and down my last 3 holes yesterday. Not many times I've been able to say that. The shot on 18 was a very delicate one off an uneven lie with the ball half down in the rough. It came out absolutely perfect and nailed my landing spot. That is NOT a shot I had confidence in before.

A lot of people love that sole that was featured on the Scor and Reid-Lockhart wedges..
The current Edisons as well.

The Equalizer wedges are very nice looking and appear to be well made, but that sole doesn't work with my swing.
Some people actually benefit from grind options, which is not the Terry Kohler philosophy.

A lot of people love that sole that was featured on the Scor and Reid-Lockhart wedges..
The current Edisons as well.

The Equalizer wedges are very nice looking and appear to be well made, but that sole doesn't work with my swing.
Some people actually benefit from grind options, which is not the Terry Kohler philosophy.
Hogan offers more than one sole currently.

Glad to see this bumped as I was thinking about posting a review while playing yesterday.

I'm really finding a nice comfort level with these. I absolutely love the 50 for not only full swing approach shots, but for greenside work. Bump and run shots, toe down low spinners, 50 yard back foot darts, etc.

My 54 and 58 have been really nice for a variety of shots also including more basic pitch shots where you just need clean contact. These wedges allowed me to get up and down my last 3 holes yesterday. Not many times I've been able to say that. The shot on 18 was a very delicate one off an uneven lie with the ball half down in the rough. It came out absolutely perfect and nailed my landing spot. That is NOT a shot I had confidence in before.
How are you finding the 58 out of the sand? I'm feeling like I need a 56, 54 doesn't have enough loft & 58 doesn't have the right leading edge for me (us our bunkers in Colorado are more an inch of something resembling sand then hard pack)

These wedges are fantastic.

I was a bit nervous about the grinds for my game but man, they produce in all conditions.

How are you finding the 58 out of the sand? I'm feeling like I need a 56, 54 doesn't have enough loft & 58 doesn't have the right leading edge for me (us our bunkers in Colorado are more an inch of something resembling sand then hard pack)
I haven't had a chance to play many bunker shots. I'm curious how they will work from different types of sand. So far I can say they are good from more hard packed sand. At True Blue I had a really uncomfortable 50 yarder from a waste area to a front pin. I managed to nip it perfectly and it landed and checked hard.

Greenside bunkers aren't my strong suit and I tend to be really good or painfully bad. I'll certainly report back when I have more time to test these out.

These wedges are fantastic.

I was a bit nervous about the grinds for my game but man, they produce in all conditions.
There is definitely merit to a variety of grind options but I think most of us overthink that. Guys with legit short games like you and Josh BHG made these wedges work beautifully.

There is definitely merit to a variety of grind options but I think most of us overthink that. Guys with legit short games like you and Josh BHG made these wedges work beautifully.
They were just great for anything around the green.

I was digging everything with the wedges and also ptxpros on full swings, so not sure if it was me, the grinds, or the shafts.

Brief use at topgolf today off the forgiving mats was pretty solid on everything. Hope to get back out to my course soon to work them more.

I hope someone can provide some feedback, especially with the TX grinds.

oh ha, i need to check out the Ben Hogan Experience thread too! :p

Got a chance to hit a few at the range today with the 50* wedge. Full shots feel great and I'm starting to come around on playing a gap that does not match the iron set. Had no issues filling the distance gap between the PTxPro irons and the EQII wedges. I hardly use the gap wedge around the greens, but I can see this one being versatile enough to give me a few more options than I'm used to.
20211106_143055.jpg
Really enjoy the feel of all 3 wedges, but the 54* and 60* really shined in my 2 rounds following the event. Had 2 up-and-downs in my last round, memorable because that's one of the weakest parts of my game. The first was out of a deeper bunker, where I pulled out the 60* for a shot that popped out to almost tap-in distance from the hole. The second was more impressive: 54* out of thick rough, just off the green but about 20' from the hole that took 2 hops, nipped the flag and ended up about 5 feet from the hole (BHB02 to the rescue for the par). I'm not a good golfer, but I really felt like one after that shot.

I believe the swingweight for these wedges are D4, lighter than the D5 in my sm8's. I like the lighter weight and combined with the BHB02, I'm feeling much more confident around the greens. They have a nice little *tick* on contact, which is a surprisingly pleasing sound for a wedge. Really positive impressions so far.

On Sunday I had the nearest miss of a hole in one of my golfing career with the 48 degree EQII I got from the Hogan experience. 110 yards. High and dead on line. The pin was near the front of the green and there was a bit of an elevated lip on the front. Ball landed and disappeared. "Did that go in?" Unfortunately not. 3 feet short. Almost....felt great 😁

BH sent me a demo 56*. Not the right shaft but it's ok. I'll play a full 18 with it tomorrow and see how it feels. Nice to be so close to these guys. 1 day shipping!

I've played more topgolf than real golf since getting these in the bag.

That being said i was peppering the stick with the 50* off the mat. surprisingly forgiving for what it is.

turf interacting still needs to be tested.

The new Texas Grind looks very promising.

The Reid-Lockhart / Scor type sole models weren't for me.
Edison has them now, too.

didn't have any full shots with them today, should have dropped some balls just to hit.

tried the TX grind 58 around the green several times and I'm worried I'm just not a low-bounce player at this point. Too much amateur steepness and unforgiving with that.

the regular grind on the 54 is just so versatile for anything around the green. Just need more info on full swings.

didn't have any full shots with them today, should have dropped some balls just to hit.

tried the TX grind 58 around the green several times and I'm worried I'm just not a low-bounce player at this point. Too much amateur steepness and unforgiving with that.

the regular grind on the 54 is just so versatile for anything around the green. Just need more info on full swings.
I agree on the standard v sole. It's more versatile than most probably realize.

What kind of conditions and shots gave you trouble with the TX grind?

Wedge shot of my life this afternoon. 51 yards....drained it!

These Hogan wedges are becoming my favorite clubs in the bag.

Screenshot_20211212-205104.png

These wedges have been in the bag since the Hogan event. Unfortunately that has meant a lot of sim golf over the winter. They were damn good there but I'm reluctant to give wedge feedback off a mat.

These now have a few real rounds under their belt this season. I'll highlight 3 shots from today that sum things up.

Shot #1 was the 54* from just off the green to a pin on the opposite side with room to work. Played a standard pitch and let it roll out. Drained it! Second round in a row I've chipped in.

Shot #2 was a 30 yard pitch uphill to a back pin but from a sloppy lie. Hit the 50* back in my stance and flew it to my spot and let it roll out. Left me a 10' look for birdie.

Shot #3 was a short sided look from about 30' from the bottom of a hill to an elevated green. Not a shot I was looking forward to. Pulled the 58* and played it square. Got clean contact and landed it at the edge of the green and hit the pin, leaving a tap in.

Really enjoying mine as well. Hogan nailed the address shape of these wedges. So clean and classic.

I rolled 29 putts the other day because I couldn't miss with the 60*! Bunkers, from the rough, tight lies.. no issue. Something about the weight and feel of these wedges give me a huge confidence boost in my short game.

I don't expect the sm8's to get much use this year if I can keep playing like this. Safest spot in the bag by a mile.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has used these wedges how they perform for sand shots and off hardpan.

I've always had a soft spot for the brand and have the first gen Equalizer 62* which I like but haven't used much because it is simply too lofted. However, I really like the sole grind concept of having a steep narrow initial bounce.

I'm thinking about replacing my current 58* wedge with an Equalizer II (undecided Tx vs regular grinds) which I use around the green for finesse wedges, sand shots and short (<=30 yard) approach shots. In other words I never hit the club with a full swing.

The issue that I'm having is that the bunkers in my home course have very little sand and are not a whole lot different from hitting from hard pan and so I'm not having much success with the standard 10*-12* bounce 58* as there is little to no room to get under the ball through the sand, hence my question.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has used these wedges how they perform for sand shots and off hardpan.

I've always had a soft spot for the brand and have the first gen Equalizer 62* which I like but haven't used much because it is simply too lofted. However, I really like the sole grind concept of having a steep narrow initial bounce.

I'm thinking about replacing my current 58* wedge with an Equalizer II (undecided Tx vs regular grinds) which I use around the green for finesse wedges, sand shots and short (<=30 yard) approach shots. In other words I never hit the club with a full swing.

The issue that I'm having is that the bunkers in my home course have very little sand and are not a whole lot different from hitting from hard pan and so I'm not having much success with the standard 10*-12* bounce 58* as there is little to no room to get under the ball through the sand, hence my question.
Your bunkers sound like typical public ones here in Colorado, mostly a dusting of loose then harder underneath.
I have the EQII 58* for bunker work & when I actually play the right shot the v-sole works really well getting under the ball.

Your bunkers sound like typical public ones here in Colorado, mostly a dusting of loose then harder underneath.
I have the EQII 58* for bunker work & when I actually play the right shot the v-sole works really well getting under the ball.

Thanks. Did you go with the regular or TX grind?

Back