Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

badolds;n8907993 said:
I had a PTx iron repaired and returned in less than a week. I bet they will get you fixed up quickly.

That’s good to hear. I just sent in my PTxPro 5-iron that had gotten “deshaftified”. I’m gonna be gone a week myself so I’m hoping it’s done when I get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another great day with the driver yesterday. I love the ball flight and accuracy I'm getting out of this driver so much. I am still seeing really good distance (More than the TS2) as well.

Was pretty shaky during yesterday’s round but it was me and not the driver. On the few occasions a good swing was made the result was great but more often than not I was all over the place. I’ve been fighting a pull/hook and it was there again yesterday. I’ll echo what others have said tho, when you find the sweet spot it’s brilliant. When you’re off a bit it seems to be exaggerated.

Had an overall good day with the driver today. Hit some monsters as well as some fairway finders, even with the oddly stacked adapter. Good to hear some of you have had quick turnaround on repairs. Suppose I'll send it in Monday and keep my fingers crossed.

I’m really finding a groove with this driver! Played Saturday with some friends and my nephew and the swing felt good. Hit some memorable shots had a 9 iron in on a 530yd par 5 hit a nice high draw and when I hit it my nephew said that’s got no spin! Really only had two loose drives all day both were left and one out of bounds.... I have eliminated the huge slice right and occasionally hit a push but confidence is building!

I've had some bad driving days the past 3 rounds that led me to looking at other drivers again... After Saturdays round where the head went flying off the shaft I took that as a sign to change. I didn't feel like buying brand new so after searching through 3 PGA stores I found an m5 with speeder evolution iv shaft for only $325. hard to pass that up since the shaft is worth that alone..

Maybe its an epoxy issue but the adapter on the hogan driver always seemed off to me. I had it re glued twice in 3 months. Also like I said in a previous post I couldn't ever easily remove the head from the shaft to change the hosel setting

I’ll give a few thoughts on the driver since I haven’t posted in a while. I’ve actually taken it out of the bag and replaced it for now. The right miss was just getting too punishing and for some reason the last few rounds with it I noticed about halfway through the round I was starting to lose distance. Not just a few yards either but 30-40 yards.

I put another driver in the bag for the past three or four rounds and the right miss is gone and I’m not having the drop in distance throughout the round. I may give it another try down the road but right now I just have zero confidence in it.

I was really struggling with the 4w also but I knew that it had potential so I made a shaft change. That made all the difference in the world. I gained about 15 yards of carry and knocked off some spin and it is dead straight. It’s my go to off of the tee when I need to hit a fairway and I have confidence with it off of the turf.

I know the driver can be good. It’s really good when my swing is on but as a high handicapper my swing is rarely on. I will put it back in the bag at some point and mess around with the settings and see if I can get back the magic I had with it early on

I've never been a long ball hitter. I would say I'm happy if I can keep it in the fairway at about 250, but with this club in a two man scramble this Saturday I was able to hit several in the 280 to 290 range, which on a cooler day, about 80, I was impressed. Don't hit them ALL that far, but I don't always let it rip either, so I was pleased.

Now to send it in to get the adapter straightened out.

Got in 9 holes tonight and the driver was much improved. I really focused on solid contact and not swinging too hard and it made a big difference. Caught a few really well and almost drove a green

8cb69272d6a7dee24e193591fec94c88.jpg

Playing a few more times this week so I’m hoping I can keep it going

Got in 9 holes tonight and the driver was much improved. I really focused on solid contact and not swinging too hard and it made a big difference. Caught a few really well and almost drove a green

8cb69272d6a7dee24e193591fec94c88.jpg

Playing a few more times this week so I’m hoping I can keep it going

That’s what we were seeing at Olympia Fields keep it up man!!!

That’s what we were seeing at Olympia Fields keep it up man!!!

When a good swing is made this thing is crazy long. I just haven’t put too many good swings on it lately. Tonight was much better

When a good swing is made this thing is crazy long. I just haven’t put too many good swings on it lately. Tonight was much better

Yeah I’ve been hitting some bombs now that I’m releasing the club better. It’s fun hitting driver again and that’s a big change for me.

This continues to be a huge staple in my bag since I got it in June. I'm hitting fairways consistently and have added distance which has been great for someone like me who isn't a crazy long hitter. When I step up to the tee and there is trouble on the tee shot I don't even hesitate to grab the driver still as I have the most confidence with it over any other club in the bag.

The 3 wood has been great off of the deck for me, I'm maybe getting a 3-5 yard fade on well struck shots. I need to work with it a little more off the tee to see if it can be a club that I can use there, but like I mentioned I have no worries hitting the driver right now, so I will probably hold off on that.

Put the Hogan back in the bag tonight with very good results. Had one of my best driving days in a long time. I hit a couple that were my longest ever on those holes. Apparently I just needed to put it in time out for awhile

Oops, forgot about the 4w. Since the shaft change it’s money off the tee and off the deck. No more looking at fairway woods for the foreseeable future

Another update on the Driver & fairway woods:

GS53 Driver 10.5* - I could not be happier with the results I'm getting with this club. I know there are a few that have had some struggles with it, but this just fits my swing. Since I replaced the UST helium with the Tensei Blue (S) this club has been very effective. My swing will never produce 300 yd drives, more in the 240- 250 range. I have had several near 270 and that I will take any day. I still fight a pull when I get too quick, but that is the Indian and not the arrow. I have noticed that my toe shots are much more forgiving and stay in play. I no longer experience the hard right slice I did originally. I typically lose about 10-15 yds of distance when hit on the toe but it keeps things manageable. As far as fit and finish, I have not experienced any of the issues with the ferrule and adapter that many have. The color of the head is very classy, and with the metal flake, is in my opinion a very clean traditional look. I put this up against my son's F8 and the GS53 was a few yards longer on average. This club will be comfortably in the bag for a while.

GS53 3 & 5 wood - From day one these became personal favorites. From the head shape and face height to the sound it produces at contact. This has not changed and continues to meet expectations. They in my opinion are "Rocket Launchers". They produce a nice penetrating ball flight and I get plenty of distance both from the tee and off the deck. The fit and finish on these is also very good. No issues with paint, ferrules, etc. I know there have been some that have struggled with consistency using these fairway woods, I have not. These both have the Tensei Blue (S) shafts as well. This combination matches my swing very well. These will be comfortably in the bag for quite some time.

The only negative with any of the clubs for me was the original grips. When hot and humid, they felt slick and I was not confident I could maintain my grip on the club. I have since changed these to my favored grip (Lamkin Crossline Plus) and am much more confident under similar conditions.

All-in-All, I feel The Ben Hogan company produced a very good club for entering back into the Wood Market. Do they fit everyone's game? No. Do they fit mine? Yes!
For the price point ($300 Driver) & ($200) fairway woods, coupled with the demo program they offer. If you are in the market for a new driver or wood, you should truly check these out.

Last edited:
Got another round in with the GS53 and hit some memorable shots. Loving the confidence in this club had one bad drive OB a snap hook from just a quick transition but other than that driving was my strength. Now my irons and wedges were awful and seems like I can’t score right now but I’m driving well. Hard to get everything going at the same time when practice is not a priority... Hard enough to play golf with a 5 month old but practicing also seems impossible at this point and that’s ok.

Hit some long drives and need a lesson with irons just to get back in the groove feel a little off when their in my hands. I just love playing golf. I’m getting to the point I just enjoy the time spent doing something I love instead of dwelling on scoring. The GS53 has really helped me enjoying golf because when I’m driving well I like it even more!

Made it out this morning for what might be the final round of the year and this driver was on point. We got paired up with a couple randoms and they were really surprised to learn I was hitting a Hogan. They both thought it was a Titliest just looking at it from afar. I had one that was a nose dive off to the left but most of the drives were well struck fades. The driver has easily earned its spot in the bag and I look forward to hitting it more next spring g and hopefully a few more times third fall.

Made it out this morning for what might be the final round of the year and this driver was on point. We got paired up with a couple randoms and they were really surprised to learn I was hitting a Hogan. They both thought it was a Titliest just looking at it from afar. I had one that was a nose dive off to the left but most of the drives were well struck fades. The driver has easily earned its spot in the bag and I look forward to hitting it more next spring g and hopefully a few more times third fall.

Come South, year round golf is so much fun!

Come South, year round golf is so much fun!

Get me some weird job with mosquitoes and it’s a deal

Have a round scheduled later this week with a guy from work. I plan on throwing the Hogan in the bag and seeing how it shakes out. @LLIB was hitting his this weekend and really hitting it well.

Have a round scheduled later this week with a guy from work. I plan on throwing the Hogan in the bag and seeing how it shakes out. @LLIB was hitting his this weekend and really hitting it well.

I hit some pretty good shots with it Saturday. I had one toe-slice late in the day that made me gun shy with it again. Wish I’d have played it today though. Would’ve been interesting to see how it did in the crazy wind we had

During my round yesterday the driver put me in great position the entire day. The guys I played with kept mentioning how I was straight down the fairway most of the round. I am also still getting more distance that I am used to and it's been awesome. The 3 wood has been equally as good for me so far. Best shot 2 rounds a go was from 240 in the fairway on a par 5 and put it to about 20-25 feet. These 2 clubs have been absolute weapons for me.

During my round yesterday the driver put me in great position the entire day. The guys I played with kept mentioning how I was straight down the fairway most of the round. I am also still getting more distance that I am used to and it's been awesome. The 3 wood has been equally as good for me so far. Best shot 2 rounds a go was from 240 in the fairway on a par 5 and put it to about 20-25 feet. These 2 clubs have been absolute weapons for me.

I’m with you on the fairway wood. I have the 5 wood and absolutely love it.

I’m with you on the fairway wood. I have the 5 wood and absolutely love it.

What shaft do you have in the 5 wood? I am still searching for the right combo for me. The 3 wood with Helium has been absolute money from tee and deck and I really want to get the 5 wood back in the bag.

Back