Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

I was 50/50 with the driver today. Which is about 49% better than what I usually am with a driver! It’s not the most forgiving driver to be completely honest. It is smaller head, like 445cc, I believe. But, when you hit it in the middle, the ball flies off the face! I mashed one today. I carried it 275 and got about 15 yards of roll out! Dead straight, low-mid flight. You can tell when you miss hit it. The sound gets louder and you can feel a difference in how the ball rebounds off the face. When you hit it well, it is addicting! The sound is awesome, the feel is like hitting nothing at all, and the ball jumps off the forged face. I would like to see a test of someone hot melting the inside of the head at the rear, see if you can get that CoG further back, increasing the MOI. I do feel like this is a driver you have to commit too. You can‘t be timid and try to guide it, you need to swing it with some momentum to take advantage of its performance.

I would like a weaker loft option than a 10.5º driver.

Does anybody remember the Hogan Series 56 metalwoods?
I really liked them. They offered a 2-wood that made a great driver.

As for the modern ones, they look really nice, but I would really like to see a 12º or 13º driver.

I would like a weaker loft option than a 10.5º driver.

Does anybody remember the Hogan Series 56 metalwoods?
I really liked them. They offered a 2-wood that made a great driver.

As for the modern ones, they look really nice, but I would really like to see a 12º or 13º driver.

The GS53 is adjustable up to 2 degrees from the base loft (one degree stronger, one degree weaker). You have the capability to increase the 10.5* driver to 11.5*.

The GS53 is adjustable up to 2 degrees from the base loft (one degree stronger, one degree weaker). You have the capability to increase the 10.5* driver to 11.5*.

That's good, but 11.5 is still a marginal driver loft for me.
If the woods are a commercial success, though, the line could eventually be expanded, I suppose.

I really want to swing this driver. I love the fact it is a 450cc head

Ordered this driver tonight because...why not 😈

Ordered this driver tonight because...why not 😈

Wise move sir. Very solid driver. As long and as straight as anything I have ever played. Have not even entertained replacing it since it went in the bag close to a year ago.

I will play this all season!

I am thinking about putting my Hzrdus Black shaft in this driver, but I might wait until later in the season.

New to the forum! These are the only pictures I have on me of my Ben Hogan GS53 Driver.

Attachments

• benhogangolf-1587609515604.jpg
    benhogangolf-1587609515604.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
  • benhogangolf-1587609556704.jpg
    benhogangolf-1587609556704.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 13
  • benhogangolf-1587609604939.jpg
    benhogangolf-1587609604939.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
hey @sposey013168 when will you be checking in on this one?
I went with a weaker shaft that I have in the past since I am old now 😈
Went with helium F3, 1 inch short. Regular size grip +4 wraps on the grip.
Really excited to try this one out
And even more excited to get to club champion to try out all the Ben hogan clubs

You dink. I would have given you mine.
Can you imagine how open the club face would be if I tried to swing your rebar shaft 😈

Today was a complete 180! Normally, I hit the 3 wood well and struggle with the driver. Not today! Hit the driver extremely well. Nice flight into a strong wind. And, a little right to left! Really focused on making a good swing, having a good spine tilt, and hitting up on the ball. If I can consistently drive the ball at least 250-265 and hit the fairway, my scores will drop dramatically. It's hard to make par when you have to punch out of the woods! I only hit about 5 balls with the 3 wood. Didn't hit any really well. I will work on it! The GS53 fairway wood is usually my safety net!

Hit the ball well with both the driver and 3 wood. Did a good job squaring the club face and hit several with both clubs that flew well into a strong head wind then had a good amount of roll out. Something I have been missing. The 3 wood is definitely one of my most trusted clubs. It was automatic yesterday. If I start spraying the driver, I can use it off the tee box!

I’m really thinking on trying this one out. The more I read on it makes me want to add it to the cart.

Back