Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

I shoot a similar number to yours. I have only a couple of rounds in with the PTX irons.

I have found them to be incredibly straight and very easy to play with. My distance is a bit shorter then current gamer. On off hits I can feel it a bit more, but also don’t see a huge loss in distance, definitely some. I would say forgiveness wise they are average. Not the best out there, but not the worst either. The key for me so far with these irons is the dispersion. My far left and far right shots have decreased for the few rounds I have used them. So far, liking them very much. I just have to compensate on the distance loss. About 8-10 yards a club vs current clubs.
Thank you for your feedback! Now we just need the state to let the courses open. KCM

If you hit those irons well you’ll have no issues with the PTX pros! Very comparable
Thank you for the feedback. From reading your posts you seem to really like them! I played Apex Edge irons in the early 2000's and loved them. I've not found an iron that has ever felt as good as those did. KCM

I have been trying to decide between the PTX Pro vs the Edge irons for a while now. I like the looks of the PTX irons much better, but I'm not sure they would be conducive with my game. I typically shoot around 90. Any thoughts on forgiveness would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance KCM
I typically shoot above 90 and play the PTx Pros without an issue. They are way more forgiving than they look, for sure. I demoed both the PTx Pros and the Edge, and I much preferred the PTx.

I have been trying to decide between the PTX Pro vs the Edge irons for a while now. I like the looks of the PTX irons much better, but I'm not sure they would be conducive with my game. I typically shoot around 90. Any thoughts on forgiveness would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance KCM

You should take advantage of Ben Hogan Golf's demo program. For $20, they send you a 6&9 iron. You keep them two weeks, then ship them back with a prepaid label. You have to make a couple decisions. 1-PTx Pro or Edge? I love my PTx Pros. But, the Edges are SUPER UNDERRATED! And, look so much better in person. The Edge irons are foam filled from 4-PW. They also have a wider sole(3/16") and a slightly thicker topline. Also, more offset. They aren't very drastically different until you really take the time to compare. The PTx Pro irons are WAY more forgiving than the original PTx irons. They are hollow 4-7, solid 8-PW. Look and feel amazing. I think the Edges feel a little too soft, in my opinion. Think Wilson C-300 Forged feel.
2-Set make up. Depending on what you go with you can go 4-5-6-PW. So, if you're looking for more forgiveness in the long irons, you can always go hybrid or utility iron. I love my VKTR hybrids personally.
3-Chrome or DBM? I'm a classic chrome guy, but the DBM finish is the way to go. It looks amazing, is probably the most durable finish available today...more durable than chrome, and adds "0" weight to the head itself! Downside...DBM finish is only available in the PTx Pro irons and new Icon irons 4-PW. Hope this helps, but I would really recommend the demo program!

How is everyone getting the Recoil 110? I'm playing Pxg Gen1 0311 right now but love the DBM finish. My previous set were some Maltby PTM DBM.

I am using steel fiber i95's now. I couldn't do the recoil they currently offer.

How is everyone getting the Recoil 110? I'm playing Pxg Gen1 0311 right now but love the DBM finish. My previous set were some Maltby PTM DBM.

I am using steel fiber i95's now. I couldn't do the recoil they currently offer.
Guys with the custom Recoil
110s took part in a THP Experience with UST Mamiya and Ben Hogan Golf.

Hit PW today on the 125 yard "road hole" here on the Par 3. Hard a decent breeze in my face, which is normal on the inlet. You have to carry water all the way or you hit right and wind up in the tree line. Put a good swing on it, and actually drew it a good 5-10 yards, which is amazing. But, that put it right into the drink! :rolleyes: But, I'll take the draw all day long!

I miss hitting these and being able to post in this thread about them. 3.5 long weeks with no end in sight.

I’m so glad that the people at Ben Hogan Golf are still making clubs that The Hawk himself would be proud to sell. These irons look as good anything else in the market!

I'm getting pretty dialed in chipping around the yard with the PTx Pro. I'm ready for some actual golf. Let's go.

E7D2A2D6-B893-4512-9691-05B8120B1F51.jpeg
34308D72-B489-4AE7-ABF5-738FA51A642C.jpeg

Tres Generacions
8BB2922B-8713-4966-9685-6F4FC3E1EDD5.jpeg
2A2A06B1-332B-4082-B3B5-14FA348AAA41.jpeg

Been swinging my PTX Pro's for a few days now. And it's going to be a tough battle with the Honma Rose Protos. Much more dense feeling at impact. You can notice the hollow construction feel vs the Single piece forging in the Honma. both feel greet, just different. I'm noticing a different SW feel in the short irons with the PTX Pro's having TT AMT and Honma having the Recoil Protos which is a constant 110g

Had a good range session with the PTX pros today need to get them out on the course soon.

I'm not a big fan of Black finish but those do look good.

The DBM finish is pretty outstanding. I could be mistaken, but I believe it is a boron carbide (B4C) coating. Third hardest material known, harder and more wear resistant than chrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_carbide

Reactions: KEV

I’m a chrome guy too, but once you play these with the DBM finish, they‘re amazing!

I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread somewhere, it of all the clubs I have owned recently, including the Cobra F9S and TM P790s, both of which are more expensive (and with the 790s, much more), the Black PTx Pros have gotten by far the most looks and attention from people. I constantly find people peeking in my bag on the putting green or durning a round. Everyone asks about them, some with nostalgia and others because they look awesome with the custom matte black recoils. But man have these clubs grabbed a bunch of attention. When I tell people the price, they are usually shocked.

Received tangible evidence as to how forgiving these irons truly are! Hit them side by side with the new ICON irons. Night and day difference!

Played another round yesterday with the PTx Irons. There are some Pros and Cons on these for me. These are shafted with Recoil 95 Prototype Stiff flex. (Not my normal flex, as I usually am regular)

Pros:
1. I love the look and sound. These irons are beautiful in black (pictured below) and sound fantastic when you hit a clean strike. So smooth

2. I have found these irons are very straight. I am not going to hit every shot clean on on the center, so having an iron that can be forgiving and still straight is very helpful. I have found these irons to be very straight and I didn’t find poor shots to move too far left or right.

3. Playability. I am not a strong enough player to change to draw and cut shots, but these irons have a great feel and you can easily adjust your swing with these to make those types of shots. They are not like a chunky game improvement irons

Cons:
1. Maybe it’s the shaft (as I don’t play a stiff flex), but these irons will punish my hands on heal and toe hits. While the ball would travel a nice trajectory, I could feel every vibration and sting of not hitting the center.

2. My distance is not the best with these irons. This might not be a fair Con since the specs on these irons are not the same. (My current gamer 6, 7, and 8 irons run 25.5, 29.5, and 34° respectively vs the Ben Hogans at 30, 34, and 38 for the same irons) Hit the jacked up thread 😉

I guess if you look at the comparable degree irons I would hit the Ben Hogan’s very similar distance.

All in all, I would highly recommend these for strong players. They are very smooth, look fantastic in black, hit solid, will let you know your what you missed, and very playable for all the shots you will have on the course.

I am not sure I would recommend these clubs to those looking at either jacked up irons or those needing the super game improvement iron.

Thanks to THP for these irons (won on a contest) and I will continue to test them over the summer.

8950586E-D47F-43AC-AF67-E589A1BCEDC8.jpeg
6D2C56B8-5AAB-4B75-B724-87AC478F3C10.jpeg
A810A4AB-1384-4AD2-8FC2-6722C6BAA2A0.jpeg

I'm getting pretty dialed in chipping around the yard with the PTx Pro. I'm ready for some actual golf. Let's go.

View attachment 8939656
View attachment 8939658

Tres Generacions
View attachment 8939659
View attachment 8939660
I'm wondering how you find the PTX Pro's in comparison to your old Hogans? I had Edge's back in the day and have looked at the Apex Edge Pro's but never have taken a swing with a set. I loved the Edges way back when but gave up the game for 30 years (long story) and am on my 2nd year back at it and considering the PTX pros. Any input you have would be great. Currently hitting a set of Cleveland TA-3 form forged irons on good days and VAS+ on not so good days. Love the feel of the TA-3's but could use additional forgiveness and miss my old Hogan's something fierce. Would like to have a single set and the PTX Pro's sound great. Any feedback would be great!!!

I'm wondering how you find the PTX Pro's in comparison to your old Hogans? I had Edge's back in the day and have looked at the Apex Edge Pro's but never have taken a swing with a set. I loved the Edges way back when but gave up the game for 30 years (long story) and am on my 2nd year back at it and considering the PTX pros. Any input you have would be great. Currently hitting a set of Cleveland TA-3 form forged irons on good days and VAS+ on not so good days. Love the feel of the TA-3's but could use additional forgiveness and miss my old Hogan's something fierce. Would like to have a single set and the PTX Pro's sound great. Any feedback would be great!!!
If you're currently playing Cleveland TA-3's and hitting them consistently, then you will Love the PTx Pro's. I too played the Old Edge irons back in the day and those don't even compare performance wise. The Old edge when struck pure were excellent but, the PTx Pro's are far more forgiving and still have that forged buttery feel when pured …….. Nothing compares to that ! With the DTC model Ben Hogan has, you won't find a better deal out there in regard to quality and performance. Utilize their demo program if you're not sure, small investment to give them a test drive !!

The Edge GS was a great set in its day, now sadly outdated. I played all of my HS golf with them, and they were the favorite part of my bag. I too gave up golf and took 15-20 years away, and came back in 2016. I purchased the Apex Edge Pro used on EBay in 2016, they are a set that holds up really well against time. They are much more solid and feel better than the original Edge, and the shape is much more modern, more rounded in the toe, still a hint of vintage in the short irons/hosel area. The Apex Edge Pro are timeless. I just passed those on to another THP member and I hope he loves them.

The PTx Pro is better than the Edge Pro in a bunch of ways - keep in mind I have not actually hit them head to head so these are what I'd call on-course recollections:
-heads are a touch more compact, at least to my eye, or maybe its the DBM finish having a slimming effect. They are more purposeful and sculpted.
-better, more modern shape especially in the short irons... IMO the PTx Pro strikes a very nice profile at address around the toe, hosel, and leading edge. I'm a touch fussy here (aren't we all LOL) and these look great.
-more forgiveness and faster off the face in the 4i-7i, likely the short irons as well
-All around, the PTx are up to date with hollow body, co-forging, and hi-strength face technologies that will compete with any OEM

One of the things I like about the PTx Pro are that I spin the 7i (hollow body) in the 6000-6500 range (medium-high spin for me), while as reference I spent last season spinning about 500-750 rpm lower with blades (Srixon Z-Forged or Apex MB). Then, as the set progresses to 4i I am seeing about 3500-3800 spin, which is on the lower more penetrating end for me at this spot. I think this gives a nice progression through the set of precision in the scoring irons as well as the 7i and 6i, and then the ball flight for the 5i and 4i get progressively hotter from long range. This is not a set that wins 7i distance wars, but it will win 7i closest to the pin and then keep up quite respectably off the next tee with ball-speed and spin profile of the 4i.

You should also check out the combo sets that Hogan put up today - if anyone is looking for more forgiveness I'd take a hard look at a UiHi-PTx combo. Also, I've not hit the new Edge, but several here have had great things to say ( @LLIB comes to mind).

Last edited:
Night and day difference! @WannaBeBetter65 I would look at Ben Hogan Golf’s demo program. That way you can try them for yourself. Or, go to Club Champion and get fitted.

These will be getting a workout today for a quick 9.

Not by me, but by someone who hasn't played golf before! Hope they enjoy them!

I'll be bagging the FW irons and that could be interesting as hitting a golf ball has been a distant memory!

These will be getting a workout today for a quick 9.

Not by me, but by someone who hasn't played golf before! Hope they enjoy them!

I'll be bagging the FW irons and that could be interesting as hitting a golf ball has been a distant memory!
Play Well!

Reactions: J4U
Back