Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

The DBM black holds up extremely well, it is very durable. Ten rounds in and my sand wedges are just shy of like new. @BigDill has posted picture in here of his with 40+ rounds and as many or more range sessions. It takes a serious beating.

That’s great to know. I wish more manufacturers used this finish.

The DBM black holds up extremely well, it is very durable. Ten rounds in and my sand wedges are just shy of like new. @BigDill has posted picture in here of his with 40+ rounds and as many or more range sessions. It takes a serious beating.
Dude I am way past that now and they still look just about brand new, except type a few sole edges and the face of the 7 iron, thick is like a gunmetal silver. They look amazing.

Today was the round I've been waiting for ever since getting these irons last November - first round on my favorite local-ish course in Vermont - Green Mountain National. Took a half day and had a lovely three hour round on a mostly empty course - mountain views, iris and wildflowers blooming, and a challenging layout that I am intimately familiar with.

Man, what a great outing with the PTx Pro. From 4i all the way down to PW, I enjoyed the heck out of them all day and hit some really nice shots. There is a ton of playability in this set. On the front nine I hit three different speed 6i and all of them came off perfect. The 4i is a nice weapon from long range, and had a really good feel and flight on the short irons all day. I really like the touch I had with the 8i, 9i, and PW - on the back nine I was had really good proximity to the hole, and distances were easy to fine tune every shot. Two birdies on the back with PW.

Last edited:
I hit a piss poor tee shot and got blocked out on a hard 90* dogleg left, about 360 yds. I was having a nice round and was in no mood to bail out on what can be a birdie hole, so I did what any reasonable THP'er would do and threaded a PW though this gap.

IMG_6514.jpg

To here. LOL.
IMG_6515.jpg

Thinking about getting this bent a little stronger to get some more distance. But other than that with the recoil pairing I have no complaints.

Thinking about getting this bent a little stronger to get some more distance. But other than that with the recoil pairing I have no complaints.
Me too! I just hit them too high. The winds here off the inlet are strong, and if the ball gets hung up in the wind, it’s over. I’m trying to lower my ball flight, but that has been really difficult.

The irons check a lot of boxes! I don’t think they’re underrated, but I think if more people hit them, they would replace their irons currently. Feel is superior. When you hit one on the button, you know. If you miss the center you know, but its more of a heavier, duller feel. Forgiveness on these is superb! These will fit a lot of different handicaps.

I demoed the Ben Hogan ICONs and while they’re amazing in looks and feel, the forgiveness and extra distance, especially in the longer irons was too much to give up!

Alllllright.

So, I played, um, 10 rounds this week IIRC? Half of them were with these in the bag, the other half with my gamers (Callaway Apex 19 Combos).

I do have enough time with them now, and with them adjusted, that I'm comfortable talking about them in a little more detail.

Aesthetics:

Easily the best looking irons the current Hogan company have ever produced. I've owned and gamed the FW's as well as the PTx, missing only the Edge irons, so I have a pretty good breadth of experience to compare/contrast these with. For me, the FW's are as clean of a blade out there, but plain, and the PTx had style, but, the gold Mr. Hogan badges killed the flow to ME, I wished they'd used the BH sunburst logo instead. So, when I got to see one of these in SC at another event I was pretty shocked by the looks. I adore that they went BOLD on the signature logo because it is so freaking classic looking, but the return of the BH crest/sunburst in the cavity and how they blended the finish and flow of the iron heads as the design does step into the super shallow cavities just makes it for me.

Combo all that with a look at address with a square but not too big topline and super clean flow, and you have legit one of the best looking iron sets on the market, at ANY price level.

For my set the gold proto UST THP Recoils clearly add to the package, a little flash with the substance, but more on the shaft setup here in a minute.

Performance:

For those who haven't read my other posts in there, this set when I received them were set up basically 2* flat, which is 4* off where I have been fit to multiple times, that, is not good. The lie angle left me a very underwhelmed initial experience with these, which makes sense as I was striking everything way toe side through the turf/impact, they didn't feel solid because they weren't solid. The lie angle completely fixed that issue for me, and the concerns I had of the hollow body feel/sound in the mid and long irons proved all for naught. As far as sets with a hollow body design in them, this is probably the most "right" a company has gotten the feel/sound. The scoring irons with the Ti insert maintain a thankfully well blended feel as well though so for me there is not transition in the set that is taking be aback as a shockingly different feedback.

The setup in mine, for now, are the Recoil Proto 95's in F4 and man, they launched SUPER high in the initial set orientation and spin numbers were actually higher than I expected, but to a bit of a detriment for me distance wise. Because of that, I took the traditional lofts 1.5* strong across the board 4-PW (keeping the 4* gaps intact that BH golf believes so much in) and boom, big difference. Still not as long as my Apex 19 Combos, but now FIRMLY within 1/2 club which is 1/2 club better than any of my other iron sets. Truthfully, the numbers off these probably play out better for my setup there because as silly as it sounds for me there is such a thing as too long. Time will tell there though, but I do enjoy that I can pull a 9i from 155-160 and be on that number.

I do think there is an issue for me swing weight wise, these all range from D1-D2 when I measured them, and I am definitely one of the weirdo's who can tell the difference between D1 and D4-D5 (where I prefer to be) as I HAVE to be able to feel the head in the swing, right now that isn't there for me. So, options are I pull the shafts and install tip weights, or I move these into one of my spare sets of TT Elevate X100's and give the THP Recoil's away in some crazy contest. We shall see.

The nicest thing here for me though has been the size of the irons, they have a profile that I have confidence in hitting GOLF SHOTS with and not just swinging for a straight ball, and that is high praise for me and something that makes or breaks an iron getting time in my bag to be honest.

So far, I'm impressed. Impressed enough to tune/tweak them out a little more and give them some more time. Though I do have a HS kiddo who wants them as is so bad he can't stand it, so we shall see.

@Jman do you remember what the trajectory difference was after you bent the PTx Pros 1.5* stronger? Was it visually noticeable lower?

These are going out for a rip tomorrow. So looking forward to it :)

I just love playing the PTx Pros! I kinda sucked at golf today but iron play was still enjoyable and the highlight of my day. I look forward to hitting every shot because I’m excited for the good ones.

Best shots - a pair of 6i on the Par 3 6th

8867E257-EBE9-4FE2-A5D0-18F6FA673548.jpeg

And a filthy good pair of 4i from 210 out on the Par 4 9th. I caught both of these near perfect, and the feel and booming high ball flight was downright obscene. I'm pretty infatuated with the PTx 4i.

AF7A826D-9CCA-49ED-B8FB-9E373D5B0B56.jpeg

Ball 1 - just a hint too much fade
A0D8A9FE-0ACD-4564-9284-B1055A1B6163.jpeg

Ball 2 - great stopping power on both
4BAE44B4-A798-4BB8-8586-DE6AB1F37AFF.jpeg

I just love playing the PTx Pros! I kinda sucked at golf today but iron play was still enjoyable and the highlight of my day. I look forward to hitting every shot because I’m excited for the good ones.

Best shots - a pair of 6i on the Par 3 6th

View attachment 8951789

And a filthy good pair of 4i from 210 out on the Par 4 9th. I caught both of these near perfect, and the feel and booming high ball flight was downright obscene. I'm pretty infatuated with the PTx 4i.

View attachment 8951790

Ball 1 - just a hint too much fade
View attachment 8951791

Ball 2 - great stopping power on both
View attachment 8951792

You and @Jman making me hate this wait so much

@Jman do you remember what the trajectory difference was after you bent the PTx Pros 1.5* stronger? Was it visually noticeable lower?
Just now saw this JB.

It’s been a long time, but at 1.5 it would have had to, that’s a sizeable change. I know that was about the time my mind wandered to other irons and I never truly dove into them after that.

My last 2 rounds with these have found a new gear. I kind of waffled on switching back to my other irons as they were longer and I knew the distances. But I committed to staying the course because I loved the forgiveness. Fast forward to a week ago, I was trying to play my standard 8i shot, I hit a really good flighted ball anticipating it would be on the front of the green and roll up. I get to the green and see that I've stuck the center and rolled past the flag. 🤔 I thought I maybe just got a little on that one and then it happened again, and again and again until I'm now moving a full club in the bag and hitting roughly the same if not further than my other set of irons. So either I'm finding more swingspeed with my irons or I've beaten them into submission :ROFLMAO:. I absolutely love these irons!

Last edited:
For those who bought PTX Pro direct from BHG, how good are they with Custom loft/lie?

I'd need 4-5 irons 1* up and 1/4" short, and the rest 1/2* up to match my normal specs. Their online system has up/down in 1* increments, but I'm assuming if I call them they'd go more custom.

I have some Z565s on the way that I think I'll love, but have been drooling over PTX Pro for 2 years. I think I'm going to go ahead with them, and have both. My first set of irons were a hand-me-down set of Hogan Directors with Apex shafts, so there's some nostalgia there for me too. I'd probably go PTX Pro, VKTR+ 22* and 2 Equalizer wedges.

You know how @Jman said he keeps giggling after each shot? I now know why

For those who bought PTX Pro direct from BHG, how good are they with Custom loft/lie?

I'd need 4-5 irons 1* up and 1/4" short, and the rest 1/2* up to match my normal specs. Their online system has up/down in 1* increments, but I'm assuming if I call them they'd go more custom.

I have some Z565s on the way that I think I'll love, but have been drooling over PTX Pro for 2 years. I think I'm going to go ahead with them, and have both. My first set of irons were a hand-me-down set of Hogan Directors with Apex shafts, so there's some nostalgia there for me too. I'd probably go PTX Pro, VKTR+ 22* and 2 Equalizer wedges.

Call them. They’re willing to customize where they can...

Isn’t that right @J.B. Cobb lll #shaftgate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call them. They’re willing to customize where they can...

Isn’t that right @J.B. Cobb lll #shaftgate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know a guy!:cool:

I think if were to ever move away from Callaway irons these would certainly be in the mix!

Filthy good weekend with the PTx Pros. Such a nice iron to look down it, and so nice to play. Totally at ease with these, both the heads and the Recoils. I was striking really crisply this weekend and loving just a bit of extra height, power, and softness on the green. Trajectory 🎯

We’ll see if this one is worth closest to the pin in my friends member-guest. 7i 172yds to 5’6” on the measuring tape. Afternoon flight is playing now...

C1D28A56-483D-403A-91F2-4B72208FE624.jpeg
4CCADF70-78EB-47FA-B146-2510708F01D9.jpeg

5 iron stoppie

5EA78166-CEA3-428C-8FA9-CB85578C2C9E.jpeg

The 5 iron from this set should be in the golf club hall of fame. So easy, and so reliable.

Agreed! The ease of use on the 4-7, and the feel while doing it, are both fantastic. I've got a bunch of rounds in a row on the PTx and I'm loving them.

Man you guys are really selling these!

They are fantastic ! Very predictable and consistent, one of the best feeling irons I have ever played. They are firmly seated in my bag!
And the black finish looks so good!

Back