luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
What is the best non-golf related book that you have ever read?

Mine is Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan

The Count of Monte Cristo...love it!!

Best book

That's a tough one. Maybe Catch-22 or The Road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a tough one. Maybe Catch-22 or The Road.

Before I scrolled down and saw your answer The Road was my second thought as well. In the same vein I thought of The Stand. Best book is big category. As you can guess, have been on a post-apocalyptic bent recently.

Taxed to death

Into thin Air by John Krakauer
Or
The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw

Anything by Tom Clancy.

Without Remorse by Clancy

Before I scrolled down and saw your answer The Road was my second thought as well. In the same vein I thought of The Stand. Best book is big category. As you can guess, have been on a post-apocalyptic bent recently.
The Stand was pretty good. The Dark Tower Series was pretty good. But I think for the best book, I'd have to go with The Stand.

"Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition" by Mark Rippetoe.

The Count of Monte Cristo...love it!!
I'm about 10 chapters in to this right now.

Probably Of Mice and Men for me. I love the book, movie, play. Just a great great short book.

Some of my other favorites include
Patriot Games - Tom Clancy
Point of Impact- Robert Ludford
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

I refuse to ever call anything art or sports related the best ever, but my favourites are Jurassic Park (sentimentality bc my first ever adult novel read in grade 2) and Bad Monkeys as the most entertaining. Lots of others I really like that I'd argue are amazingly well written (Jane Eyre, Frankenstein, Anne of Green Gables, etc).

Best book

For nonfiction I'd have to say either The Right Stuff or Band of Brothers.

I also like Shogun and Stranger in a Strange Land. It's really hard to pick a single book, to many good works and genres.

This is a tough call. What book, had I not already read, would I most highly recommend to myself? Yikes! Think I'll go with 'The Old Man and the Boy' by Robert Ruark. There are others I could name: 'The Hobbit', 'Ender's Game', 'After many a summer (dies the swan); but I'll stick with Ruark...for now. With props to the Rumpole series...

As an English teacher, I have more answers to this question than anyone cares to hear, so I'll limit myself to a few bullet points:
- The best books that I teach year in and year out are Hamlet and The Great Gatsby. No surprises there. Just old workhorses that reward any number of re-readings.
- New to my curriculum this year are two more recent favorites of mine: Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go and Alison Bechdel's Fun Home.
- My stock recommendation for anyone looking for a fun but subtle and well-written novel is Emily St. John Mandel's Station Eleven.
- For real, though, the best book I've ever read is Moby-Dick.

...but my favourites are Jurassic Park
Gotta say I loved that book as well. While I was much older than 2nd grade, it was the first book I remember getting cover to cover in a matter of a couple of days. Just unable to put it down.

Playin With Fire the Theoron Fleury Story.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

The Prince by Machiavelli

- For real, though, the best book I've ever read is Moby-Dick.

I am an avid reader. I have read hundreds of books. I have read a ton of "classics". I have tried Moby Dick literally a dozen times. Can't get into it. I want to, hence the many tries. But just can't. Yet to even get on the ship.

I am an avid reader. I have read hundreds of books. I have read a ton of "classics". I have tried Moby Dick literally a dozen times. Can't get into it. I want to, hence the many tries. But just can't. Yet to even get on the ship.

Lol I hear you. Nearly all of my book-loving friends -- including my English department colleagues and almost everyone in the English Ph.D. program where I spent five years -- feel exactly the same way about Moby-Dick. Even I could hardly persuade myself to read it at first. But about 250 pages in, Melville got his hooks into me.

Lol I hear you. Nearly all of my book-loving friends -- including my English department colleagues and almost everyone in the English Ph.D. program where I spent five years -- feel exactly the same way about Moby-Dick. Even I could hardly persuade myself to read it at first. But about 250 pages in, Melville got his hooks into me.

That's why I keep trying. It's the old school version of giving a new show a few episodes before giving up because you know how many improve so much halfway through.

The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Inferno, The Lost Symbol, and in September you can add Origin to that list.

The Prince by Machiavelli

Took a leadership class in college and half the semester was dedicated to lessons/discussions from The Prince. It was one of my favorites classes.

Back