Best Casual Card/Dice Games

I love to play spades!

Spades is a great one for couples. Just have to mix it up. don’t want to be partnered with your spouse. That’s how you end a marriage faster than remodeling.

Spades is a great one for couples. Just have to mix it up. don’t want to be partnered with your spouse. That’s how you end a marriage faster than remodeling.
I get so mad at my wife playing spades! She always cuts my spades!?

hahaha it was such a fun game.

No one ever plays Rummikub here either.

Rummikub is a fantasy game. My wife hates playing with me because I hoard my tiles and moves. The when it seems like I have a full rack left I pounce and move everything around to get out. Gets her all the time. Just gotta make sure you use a timer and not let people take too long of a turn.

My wife's family plays 31 at family get-togethers. Kids loved it (still do as adults). Each player starts with 4 quarters (although lately we've cut it to 3 just to speed things up). You get 3 cards & have to get 31 (or as close as you can) in 1 suit. When someone thinks they have a winning hand they knock & everyone else gets one last draw (or picks up discard). Lowest score puts a quarter in the pot. When you lose all your quarters you're out. Winner gets all the coin. If you get 31 you show it immediately & everyone puts a quarter in. Aces are worth 11 & face cards count 10.

Best thing about this game is all ages can play and we've had 12-14 people starting a game (I think we might've added a second deck for that).

Another fantastic game. We call this SCAT. Love going for SCAT (31) when multiple people are on their honors. But knocking quickly usually gets people out faster. Great game for adults, kids, and can easily made into drinking as you use a drink instead of quarter. Also, for gamblers you make the coins go to the winner of the game. $1 a game all the way up. We usually play $5 dollars a game.

A few I didn’t see mentioned would be hearts. Love trying to get all the hearts, but harder than you think.

Yahtzee, but not a card game. A dice game. My kids use to love rooting two 1’s and a 2, two 1’s and a 2 when I was rolling.

Currently, because it’s a quick game you can play 2-8 players and with kids or adults, we play a lot of exploding kittens. It’s like uno with strategy.

Games are a big thing in my family. I think we had five family game nights in a row while my boys were home for Christmas break. Wife was so happy.

Pinochle is still the best card game. However finding others that know how to play can be tough.

Pinochle went the way of dinosaurs like bridge. Tried teaching my sons Pinochle, and they said no way they were learning a game that only old people play.

Last edited:
Rummikub is a fantasy game. My wife hates playing with me because I hoard my tiles and moves. The when it seems like I have a full rack left I pounce and move everything around to get out. Gets her all the time. Just gotta make sure you use a timer and not let people take too long of a turn.
I only ever played as a kid, and I think our rule was if you COULD go you had to.

I only ever played as a kid, and I think our rule was if you COULD go you had to.

That would be my wife, but it takes out the strategy and gambling to hold tiles and possibly lose moves or get caught with all those points.

Many times my wife and I would play for back rub mins. Your gambling many many mins if you hold those tiles. She never would hold any.

Another fun Dice game for the family to play 2-4 players is Parcheesi. Fun when you land on someone to send them back to start. Not much strategy except blocks that don’t allow other players to move ahead and trying to setup your pawns to maximize chance of either going home or sending others players back to start.

Euchre and Cards Against Humanity

Left, Right, Center for dice is fun to throw some money at.

We play WAY too many games here.

Picture of the closet and this is only about half. ?

B7788C31-4485-4DCF-A5D4-7F2FAB486ECE.jpeg

I even have Mr President’s game from years ago on the original Apprentice. ?

My mother is british and my father's side is all french canadian decendents so not playing cribbage in my house growing up got you thrown out of the house. :)
I had a English grand father who was from Greenwich. He taught me cribbage and always played to win. He said when I could finally beat him, it would be more satisfying knowing he hadn't let me win. It was.

Cribbage, both ways: Regular rules and Backwards (lowest score wins). Backwards isn't as easy as it sounds, game play encourages scoring.
Favorite board games: Monopoly, Risk, and Clue.

2 people cribbage or gin rummy
3 people hearts or single deck pinnocle
4 people spades partners double deck pinnocle partners
5 or more 31 or rummicube or hand and foot if even number players/partners

Dice games I’ve played called ship, captain, crew. I don’t remember it much but it passed the time and was fun.

Card games:
Canasta
Spades
Hearts
Euchre
Pinochle
Midnight baseball
Texas hold ‘em
Guts

Two card guts.... essentially you deal everyone two cards...pair of Aces is the best possible hand, 2,3 is the worse. It’s a bluffing game and you play for whatever amount makes you comfortable.

once everyone has their cards you extend your hand to the middle of the table, “1, 2, 3, Guts!” If you drop your hand you’re out of the game, if you keep your hand up you’re in. Now those who stayed in flip over their cards, winner takes the pot, the loser(s) have to match the pot.

this continues until there is only one player left.
I’ve seen this game get pretty darn intense over some big money. I was lucky to win over $200 playing it once before. Biggest one time pot I saw was $600. We usually capped matching the pot at max $50. Haven’t played it in a while.

I’ve seen this game get pretty darn intense over some big money. I was lucky to win over $200 playing it once before. Biggest one time pot I saw was $600. We usually capped matching the pot at max $50. Haven’t played it in a while.

It can get out of hand quick. To keep the peace and not have people lose a **** ton of money we capped the pot also.

Back