Best Golf Outing You've Played In

jfkedz

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm currently in the process of helping an organization I am involved with start up their golf outing fund raiser here in Cleveland. Looking for additional ideas that will make this golf outing one that will want people to keep coming back every year. What are some things that you have seen an outing that you thought was pretty cool? Currently this is the list of things that we have come up with/will be giving away:

- Every golfer will receive a caddy towel and umbrella
- Prizes for winners of the outing (Potentially range finders or something similar)
- Donate $50 and tee off 100 yards closer on a par 3
- Usual Long drive, closest to the pin etc (winners get a prize)
- Mulligans(1 per golfer) and skins competition
- Number of prizes for raffles (Golf items, gift certificates, booze etc)
- 50/50 Raffle

Still have a few months before the outing so want to see what else we can add in to raise some more funds. Thanks.

People like prizes, drinks and good food.
The standard stuff works too.
We plan a few here, but they are quite different than your boozy scrambles.

free booze. the bozos will keep coming

One thing that I have seen done and that will be used in one I’m playing in this coming Monday is a superticket for the team. It cost $150-$200 for the team but gives each person 2 mulligans, a forward tee on a par 5, a pro shot one one hole, and an automatic putt on one hole. They also have a putting competition on the putting green where they make a really long putt and each person gets 1 try. By buying the superticket you each get 3 trys. I think for that the last time they did a big prize for the person closest (like a yeti cooler) and smaller for 2nd and 3rd.

Just a little thing is the southern CA desert. No big deal. ;)

proximity hole - bet $5 get it within 10 foot circle of the hole is a good side game, can have it on multiple par 3s if you want - money goes to charity ... Putting contest before/after is easy raise of funds

Any outing that gives a prize for winning and doesn't have officials following every group is asking for cheating to occur. Don't make the winners prize a big prize. Maybe a GC or free round of golf at the course. Keep the bigger prizes for the raffle. That way you'll still get people to pay for more mulligans or to move closer on the par 3's, but people won't feel robbed if 4 guys who play twice a year each say they shot a 53 to win a new range finder.

I've seen a few with smaller games between green and tee boxes that were fun.
  • Cornhole for a mulligan on the next hole.
  • Chipping game for a coozie or extra raffle ticket.

One thing that I have seen done and that will be used in one I’m playing in this coming Monday is a superticket for the team. It cost $150-$200 for the team but gives each person 2 mulligans, a forward tee on a par 5, a pro shot one one hole, and an automatic putt on one hole. They also have a putting competition on the putting green where they make a really long putt and each person gets 1 try. By buying the superticket you each get 3 trys. I think for that the last time they did a big prize for the person closest (like a yeti cooler) and smaller for 2nd and 3rd.
I think we are going to do a mega ticket. Include mulligans, skins and a number of raffle tickets. It has worked well at a few outings I’ve played in.

Any outing that gives a prize for winning and doesn't have officials following every group is asking for cheating to occur. Don't make the winners prize a big prize. Maybe a GC or free round of golf at the course. Keep the bigger prizes for the raffle. That way you'll still get people to pay for more mulligans or to move closer on the par 3's, but people won't feel robbed if 4 guys who play twice a year each say they shot a 53 to win a new range finder.

this was one of the issues another member brought up. We have talked about doing trophies and GC instead of a prize for winners.

The Grandaddy
I wish we were able to do something this crazy. Would have to make the cost of admission a little bit higher than it already is.

Agree with this.

Smaller games between holes are popular in events I've played in.

It’s a tie.

Grandaddy and Morgan Cup.

I have played in an event where they used “big holes” (8 inch diameter). It is really good where you have lots of poor or once a year players. Basically hit an approach, chip or putt to within 10-15 feet and your team won’t miss the next putt. It keeps things moving since no team needs to grind too hard near or on the green. It does dumb down the game but no one should really be looking for true competition at a charity scramble.

You might need to ask around for a course that has a set of big hole cup liners and hole cutter. Not cheap. Borrowing is a good idea.

If you have enough volunteers, side games at each hole can earn some money.

Aside from the amazing experiences I've been fortunate to be apart of here...

I travel to one in NC for work that benefits vets. At that particular one we get to:
  1. Win prizes on the putting green- they spread out various different door prizes on the putting green and you pay $20 for a ball, anything you hit you keep
  2. Shoot a modified M16 ball launcher on one hole
  3. Par 5- pay to play it like a par 3 (150 out)
  4. Standard mulligans/long drive/closest to the pin etc

Aside from the amazing experiences I've been fortunate to be apart of here...

I travel to one in NC for work that benefits vets. At that particular one we get to:
  1. Win prizes on the putting green- they spread out various different door prizes on the putting green and you pay $20 for a ball, anything you hit you keep
  2. Shoot a modified M16 ball launcher on one hole
  3. Par 5- pay to play it like a par 3 (150 out)
  4. Standard mulligans/long drive/closest to the pin etc
Considering that I play in the outing that @jfkedz is referring to, I am 1000% on board with mounting a launcher under an AR.

some smaller events on single holes I enjoyed were:
  • Give money to a charity at the course and a past long drive champion can hit your tee shot
  • Wheel of pain: spin a wheel with different clubs on each section on a par 5 and you have to play the full hole with that club only
  • Hula hoops in the fairway that give you prizes if you land in them

• Put the flag in a bunker

Played in a “charity” fund raiser scramble format event a few years ago where all 4 of us were seniors... and we still came in 1st place. On top of that - I won closest to the pin on a 175y par 3 hole - and won a nice prize for that. All in all, a very enjoyable event!

I have played in a tournament every year for the past 8 years with @93civiccpe at Meadow Farms (Guinness World Record for the Longest hole in the USA - 841 Par 6)
It supports a mission called Visions of Africa Ministry, all registration and donations go to the missionary family.
You can purchase a little goodie bag that includes the following Red Tee (hit from the ladies tees, usually used on the Par 6), Mulligans, 15 feet of string (extend your shot anywhere on the course, usually the green) & Grenades (you can throw your ball and extend that shot anywhere on the course)
It's a great time and for an even better cause. Absolutely blessed to be able to be apart of it for 8 years now and hopefully more to come.

I played in one for years in Ohio that benefited an Iraq War veteran KIA. Honestly, I’ve never been in one that’s topped it. This was a simple, no frills outing but they did it right. The course was nothing spectacular (since closed, actually).

They had a lady sing Country Roads to start it off (right in that WV/Ohio corridor), had awesome prizes. Booze was plentiful. They had coolers full of chilled liquor that made its rounds on the cart.

Food was all freshly grilled. Just so good. It was just a heartfelt, genuine outing for a good cause. I’ll echo the basics. Good food, good people, good prizes, good booze. They had a putting contest and you could buy mulligans. Nothing crazy. You’ll have a winner.

Prizes and raffles are great. Long drive, closest-to-the-pin, long putt, straightest drive are all fun. I think it's pretty cheap to get hole-in-one insurance to offer a big prize too. Other outings I've enjoyed are short-game or putting contests in tandem with the tournament.

Turn-offs are selling mulligans and other silly money grabs that make overall scores irrelevant.

Played in a scramble tournament once where on the par 5's they drew 2 circles of about 15 feet at various distances out on the fairway well within driving distance. If someone hit into the circle the team was lying zero. On the line didn't count, had to be in the circle. Thought that was a great idea.
They also had a par 3 hole where there was one of those wrist rocket slingshots you could use instead of using your club. That was a blast, but hazardous!

Back