best golf shoe- traction, water proof, durability

Acesteve

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
I need to try a new golf shoe. waterproof, traction, comfort and durability in that order are my priority

was a footjoy dryjoy user for first 25 years in golf. added the countours and they rubbed my ankle ball on a side slope so shelved those unless riding. bought new Etonics in spiked and spikeless `18 months ago and waterproofing does not hold up. Spikeless great but traction can be questionable.

best all around shoe- what you got? (added- I'm a walker)

p.s. dryjoy's footjoy does not appear to care about any longer and the reviews on them suggest it is not the focus

I’ve been loving the Ecco Biom H4’s

those are on my short list. the Gortex lining has me interested. How do you feel they do with traction in wet 7:30am heavy dew conditions?

Sqairz meets all those requirements. Not everyone likes the square toe, though.

Ecco Biom have been amazing for me. Have the GTX with laces and the Hybrid Boa. Both are excellent and the yak leather seems very durable.

Sqairz meets all those requirements. Not everyone likes the square toe, though.

the weight of the shoe and a few reviews about the quality of leather made me question this choice. when I started researching a few weeks ago, this was top of my list.

Puma pro adapt and I think the Budget coupon works on them.

a new brand/model that I would have not considered!

True Linkswear Originals or OG 1.2.

those are on my short list. the Gortex lining has me interested. How do you feel they do with traction in wet 7:30am heavy dew conditions?

no problems. I’m usually first tee time out, around 7a and there’s definitely few out there. Before these I was wearing spiked adidas tour360 xt’s. I honestly don’t see a ton of difference with traction.

the weight of the shoe and a few reviews about the quality of leather made me question this choice. when I started researching a few weeks ago, this was top of my list.
It is a heavier shoe. Personally, I see that as being "sturdy". They are not leather but synthetic uppers and one of my pairs I have had since last June still looks good (the black ones in the pictures below). Since I got that first pair I have worn nothing but Sqairz shoes and have soemwhere around 250 rounds played in them. I did replace a set of spikes in the black pair under their "Spikes for Life" program but other than wiping them down after every round that has pretty much been it.

IMG_0664.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg

I've always been afraid to go spikeless because of the 7:30 am heavy dew conditions. I tried a pair a couple of weeks back and wouldn't have known I wasn't wearing my normal spikes.

I wear spineless 100% of the time. Played several rounds on this trip to Alabama early morning. Extremely wet. No issues with slippage wearing pro/sl.

Spiked is FJ Tour X.

1634143630364.jpeg

But I’ve never had traction issues with the FJ Pro SL, so they check all the same boxes for me. Nothing else I’ve tried has performed as well as FJ’s higher end options.

Another vote for Puma ProAdapt.

True Linkswear Originals or OG 1.2.
Add the TRUE OG Premium to that list, I'm wearing mine right now, headed to the course in just a few minutes.

I've always been afraid to go spikeless because of the 7:30 am heavy dew conditions. I tried a pair a couple of weeks back and wouldn't have known I wasn't wearing my normal spikes.

I don't find spikeless to be an issue in heavy dew conditions.

Right now my favorite shoes are Adidas ZG21s. They fit my foot well, are very comfortable and are very waterproof. I have only had them for this year but so far they seem durable.

Love my Adidas ZG21 golf shoes.

I need to ask the mods to lock this post. I'm now thinking about getting two sets:unsure:

My Adidas Tour 360s have been phenomenal for water proofing, durability and grip - I don't know what's on the market these days that would be comparable, but they're basically only 2-3 pieces of leather maximum with little to no seams to leak through which I have tested when getting stuck in some bogs on a few courses.

I’ve been loving my Puma Ignite shoes. They feel amazing

Pro Tip - unless you are pristine after each round go with a pair that doesn’t have white on the top

We got some scotch guard and I’m scrubbing my white top ones because… well; I’m not a pristine golfer

whatever fits is best.

that being said, Softspikes Pulsar has the most traction of any removable spike I've used, with Adidas spikes coming in 2nd.

Super super +1 to the Footjoy Tour X. They are by far the most stable and comfortable shoe. Like you I am a FJ guy and have been for a while. I have worn Icons, DJTs, DNA (1.0,2.0,Helix) and Pro SL.

The Tour X is by far the most stable shoe I have ever worn and the waterproofing is second to none. The Tour S was notmy favorite shoe but the X ticks every box for comfort, stability, and waterproofing.

For the more traditional look, the Packards within the new FJ Premiere series uses a super similar last to the saddle Dryjoys Tours and Icons. I would say the ortholite makes them as comfortable if not more than your DJTs and really any other classic styled FJ. They also have quite intense traction patterns. On wet days I personally go for the Tour X Boa still though.

My favorites right now are the Adidas Tour 360 and ZG21. Waterproofing has been great on both and I think they're both very comfortable with no traction issues in the wet. The ZG21 definitely feel lighter than the 360s.

Back