Best new course you played in 2016?

I was lucky enough to play Pebble Beach last week, so of course, it's that one for me. To me, it's the greatest piece of golfing real estate on the planet, better than either St Andrews or Augusta. I am determined to play it again next year too. With the NCGA deal that comes out, I'd like it to be my yearly treat to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was lucky enough to play Pebble Beach last week, so of course, it's that one for me. To me, it's the greatest piece of golfing real estate on the planet, better than either St Andrews or Augusta. I am determined to play it again next year too. With the NCGA deal that comes out, I'd like it to be my yearly treat to myself.

If Pebble is amazing, wouldn't Cypress top it?

Best new course you played in 2016?

If Pebble is amazing, wouldn't Cypress top it?

Possibly. Realistically, I'm never going to play Cypress Point. Plus, if I had never played both and was given the choice to play one, I'd choose Pebble. It's a course I've always loved since I got into golf. The location, the views, the history, they all do it for me. Others are gonna feel different, but when I was in the UK, I only had framed scorecard up on my wall from one course, and that was PB.

Hickory Stick in Lewiston, NY

Possibly. Realistically, I'm never going to play Cypress Point. Plus, if I had never played both and was given the choice to play one, I'd choose Pebble. It's a course I've always loved since I got into golf. The location, the views, the history, they all do it for me. Others are gonna feel different, but when I was in the UK, I only had framed scorecards up on my wall from one course, and that was PB.

I get that, just meant real estate wise.

ACE club in suburban Philly. If the chance presents itself, I will absolutely play it again...

Streamsong courses. I like them both and plan to head back over there again in 2017.

Played a couple nice new courses in 2016 but for me, The Ranch in MA was my favorite.

Royal Manchester near York, PA. I had an awesome morning there: great links look, perfect shape, great price at $40ish, and some neat views of a couple power plants. That is a coal power plant there and Three Mile Island is just up river and I caught a glimpse from one of the tees. Good story too, I think they got some bad chemicals for the greens a few years back and they were flawless when I was there in May.

3-2.jpg

14-1.jpg

18-3.jpg

I played Running Deer Golf Club in NJ with Philly Golf Guy and SJHack which was really nice but I gotta go with Old Stonewall in Pittsburgh as the best new course I played in 2016.

Saved up and played Glen Abbey while in Toronto for a union meeting. Had to before they turn it to housing (already planned, just fighting city for approval). Watching tiger hit the bunker shot on 18 as a kid was one of the moments that made me love golf and want to really play. The tee shots on the first 10 holes all were very boring. All par 3s were amazing and very different from each other. The last 7 holes are some of the best I've ever played. The 17th green is something special. And yes I tried Tiger's shot. I overswung and topped it. Played with the exCEO of Nortel and his wife/kid. They'd just come back from a few weeks at Cypress/Pebble. And humble bragged the whole time. I hate them.

3 in regular play. Front 9 plays differently during Canadian Open (which was 2 weeks b4 I played, and was in the end of a 2.5 month drought).
C094WAdUUAEdUze

11, the drive down into the valley.
C094QIgVQAADFE3

14 is many years one of the hardest par 4s on the PGA tour.
C094QImUkAANCzp

15 very uphill, small green.
C094QIqUAAA7j4e

17 green
C094QIiVIAAEL83

Last edited:
This is a tough one for me, I played a lot of new courses this year but I'd have to say Winged Foot West. We were treated very well there and the place is loaded with history. The member that played with us was just a book of knowledge on the property and it made it a very memorable experience. Also spent a ton of money in the pro shop but it was worth it.

Predator Ridge - Ridge Course.

Wolf creek in mesquite followed by MountainFalls in pahrump.

TPC Vegas. I'm going to hopefully play again this year, although it won't be nearly as stressful.

Royal Manchester near York, PA. I had an awesome morning there: great links look, perfect shape, great price at $40ish, and some neat views of a couple power plants. That is a coal power plant there and Three Mile Island is just up river and I caught a glimpse from one of the tees. Good story too, I think they got some bad chemicals for the greens a few years back and they were flawless when I was there in May.

3-2.jpg

14-1.jpg

18-3.jpg

Wow had no idea it was in such terrific shape. This automatically goes on my list of courses to play in 2017.

Gateway National was my favorite new course.

Overall it was Spivey's course desert forest in az. Locally it was probably rolling hills cc.

Royal New Kent was the hardest and I'm glad I got to play it with THPers. I'm not sure if I will get to play it again in 2017, but I will try.

Sand Valley by a mile. Will be back in 17 for SV2 preview play and probably another round at the Coore/Crenshaw course

Canyon Farms was pretty cool. It's built into a quarry. Here is a pretty cool par 3:

f94013f91aecf3d036e5612dd2281ee9.jpg
31044ddfb6ce501785051bb0818a017e.jpg

Back