Best players distance iron

What's a PLAYERS iron? What's the definition

That’s kinda the exercise. lol.

I think a players irons is compact in size, lower in offset, simpler in design. Solid in construction and the focus is on accuracy, not forgiveness or distance.

That is my definition.

T150's

Me too. Love my ZX5s 🔥

i had them in the 4i-6i in a set i messed around with last year, and the zx5 were FAST. very impressive. not my favorite footprint, but hard to argue with the results.

I think this category is stockpiled with good options. ZX5 MKII is so well rounded it's hard to go against it. P790 is a staple, Paradym offers easy launch and distance, and T200 is so much improved from the previous line. The one I'm curious about for 2023 is Mizuno 245.
That's a solid list. Pretty wide range of effectiveness in there for the right players.

It’s interesting that my mind went T150s or King tours.. but no one else’s.
Because they're not players distance irons.

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

That's a solid list. Pretty wide range of effectiveness in there for the right players.
It’s a pretty wild category, which I kind of love. Great mix of hollow body and cavity designs. Heck look at Mizuno…923 Forged, Hot Metal Pro, and 245 all probably fall into players distance, and all different.

Why are they not?? Show me your evidence..
They're not strong enough for a person to think they're a distance iron. On the scale of lofts they're decidedly on the player's side. In fact I believe Titleist calls the 150 a stronger player's iron. This is their player's distance iron..

1000059135.jpg

Late to the party but the 225s of which i have experience and thus the 245s now. I agree with @Canadan the zx4s more than the 5s

It’s a pretty wild category, which I kind of love. Great mix of hollow body and cavity designs. Heck look at Mizuno…923 Forged, Hot Metal Pro, and 245 all probably fall into players distance, and all different.
Yeah the sheer range of shapes and sole widths, top lines, constructions, .. there's really something for everyone.

The Caley Golf irons that have foam in them

Other than that, it has to be P790 right? I feel like they kind of invented this category
The Apex CF16 invented the category…

They're not strong enough for any sane person to think they're a distance iron. On the scale of lofts they're decidedly on the player's side. In fact I believe Titleist calls the 150 a stronger player's iron. This is their player's distance iron..

View attachment 9245306
The T200 are not players distance irons. They are distance distance irons..IMG_4387.jpeg

The correct answer for irons currently in line is:
Paradym
Apex 21

They were strong, but Cobra most likely invented it. Right @ddec

The OG Forged Tec over the Apex CF16?
Amp Forged perhaps.
S2 Forged is another one that was strong lofted, forged player style shape that was slightly larger.

But I think @JB is going an even different direction.

Oddly enough another one I think of is Srixon Z star iron and Nike VRS Forged…which I think hit 1 year prior to Callaway Apex(but I didn’t check the dates).

Amp Forged perhaps.
S2 Forged is another one that was strong lofted, forged player style shape that was slightly larger.

But I think @JB is going an even different direction.

Oddly enough another one I think of is Srixon Z star iron and Nike VRS Forged…which I think hit 1 year prior to Callaway Apex(but I didn’t check the dates).
The Apex came out in 2014, but I think the addition of the Cup Face on the 2016 version took it to the next level.

Way before that.
King cobra oversized circa 1994....

Maybe even the Taylormade burner irons from around the same time.. Hollow and foam filled.

1709082240680.png

1709082274336.png

Of what I have tried. Forged Tec > MP 223 > P770

Back