Best Sound in Sports

In honor of Al McCoy’s 50 years as the voice of the Suns.

1646240946199.jpeg

I love the chants, especially in college sports. If you've ever been to the Phog and heard thousands of people in unison saying "rock chalk Jayhawk," it will send chills down your spine.

A couple kind of outside the box for me, not necessarily competitive sports, although they can be:

The sound of a 2-stroke dirt bike in the woods.
The sound of waves crashing on the reef at a great surf break.

Just about every sport has an epic sound that people think of when pondering on the sport... what is your favorite of them all? A few I can think of are below, but what are some of your favorites? At this moment, I am partial to a solid pocket shot in bowling.

Crack of a bat
Pop of a catchers mitt
Flushed golf shot
Golf ball falling in the cup
A solid pocket hit in bowling
The classic swish of the net from deep

The sound of oxygen escaping lungs on a perfect tackle/hit to the chest.

Crack of the bat and golf ball in the cup for me.

Edges of skis/snowboards, carving into the mountains is pretty sweet.

I agree with the crack of the wooden bat on a crushed shot. The hardest hit ball I've ever seen and heard was Darryl Strawberry when he was at Double A. It sounded like a rifle shot.

Ball hitting the bottom of the cup and a crisply struck iron are favorites.

Worst sound? Sound of the dreaded hosel ho.

I always enjoyed metal cleats/spikes when walking on hard ground.

YES!

I played fairly high-level rugby in Europe and Australia for years and the sound of our metal cleats in the tunnel as we took the field to cheering (or jeering) crowds was always super exciting.

I'm getting a rush just thinking about it haha

(It also smelled like dude sweat, Tiger Balm, and athletic tape.. I loved it all)

The engine roar of a funny car after staging. It’s music to my ears. Only got to see it in person a few times and can’t wait to do it again.

Baseball Bat crack - my vote for best overall

Hockey - is the most sound intense sport... the slapshots, boards, skates carving ice, hits, all make it a lot of fun to watch in person.

Golf Ball Sizzle in Air - Best Golf Sound 🔥🔥🔥

Skates carving into fresh ice on an ODR, basketball bouncing echoing into an empty gym, and the dull hfffffft of a lacrosse ball hitting the goal mesh (preferably after a bar downski).

The horn sounding when the clock hits 0:00 and your home team wins the Stanley Cup. And you’re in the arena live!

The unmistakable sound of that “thump” in the sand from a perfectly executed bunker shot!

Nothing but net.

My favorite sound of golf that I miss, is the sound of steel spikes crunching through a gravel parking lot, and then clicking and clacking along a concrete sidewalk! This, coupled with the smell of freshly cut grass, were the basis of my early golf memories! You kind of "imprinted" on them like a baby chick or duck!

The sound you hear next following “drivers, start your engines!”

The starting gate at a Supercross 450 main event right at the gate drop.

A flushed iron.

Skates on fresh ice.

A solid hit in football.

1/ The siren and the roar of crowds voice in unison at the start of Aussie rules footy match especially the blockbuster matches where 100 000 stare at the grassed oval

2/ Boxing Day test match , warm summer morning anticipation and anxiety fills the air and the crack of leather on willow

3/ The first drive, for anyone after walking to the tee , the tee into the turf , several swings of combination fear hope and optimism , and the strike whilst ball leaves face , down the middle the bounce and roll , and exhale and walk off , straight and chest out , “ beat that “ to your waiting mates ……..

In all sports I love the sound of a flushed 3 pointer.

In golf a sound I love that people don't talk about much is when a perfectly struck iron on a medium long approach lands with a thud on the green. That heavy thump is a beautiful sound. Just make sure to fix that crater you just left in the green 😉.

The sound of the old "Titleist Pro Trajectory" balls coming off the face of a Persimmon driver. (you would probably have to be a Boomer to understand) ;)

The crack of the bat in baseball.

Back