Best Way to Board a Plane

Ok. Good topic. Before you guys think I’m blowing smoke up you know what, I’m an airline guy and have been for over 20 years.

Here’s the thing with boarding. Everything has been tried. Zones, random. You name it. It’s been studied and done. I think my airline is on its 5th system in my 18 years there.

Here’s where I see the quickest boarding and minimal delays. Carry on baggage. Since airlines have decided to bleed the flying public in fees and bag fees, everyone is now trying to pack as much as possible into their carry on baggage. I mean everything. So delays are happening because unless you get on early for your zone, you’re screwed. Then eventually they have 20-30 bags they have to gate check and that’s where the delays happen.

How do you avoid this? Simple. It comes down to the gate agents 15-20 minutes before boarding offering to gate check bags for free. Several announcements work. Then agents walking around for obvious large bags that won’t fit and gate checking them. Problem is this causes extra man power for the airlines. Which means extra costs although it’s probably a savings with fewer delays incurred on some of these flights. But that’s forward thinking and that’s shunned upon in this age of cost savings at the airlines.

I’ve seen several stations that use this method and we never have a problem. Then there’s always the cost conscious stations or the lazy gate agents who could care less and put the burden on the flight attendants.

Can I fake disability to preboard since I am a senior citizen now?

Better yet, be the preboard wheelchair assisted who tries sit in the exit row.

Better yet, be the preboard wheelchair assisted who tries sit in the exit row.

We call that the WestJet miracle. People who preboard early with a wheelchair but miraculously walk off the airplane with no assistance required.

Board back to front. MAKE people take their carryons to their area.

I someday wish to never fly commercial and only fly private because people don’t understand travel. That isn’t going to happen but I truly wish.

A couple points...1] Every business that operates well...takes care of their frequent customers...Hence the advantages allowed to frequent flyers
tell that to the cable companies haha

Based on a lot of the comments in this thread I don’t think people realize there isn’t enough space for each passenger to have a carry-on, and due to fees/baggage fees more and more travelers are packing everything they can into a carry-on instead of a checked bag. There are 3 overhead spots for every ~6 passengers, hence why it’s a s*** show when the last third of the plane boards and tries to find an open bin.

Re: baggage space. I still can't figure out why over head bin space is not allotted per seat. You should get one assigned space for your bag, and your bag must fit into that space otherwise it is to be gate checked.

There isn’t enough space in the overheads for every seat to stow a roller board in the overhead space.

Outside in, from back to front. I am sure you could run some tests and fine the zones to increase effeciency, but the problem is the airport is where you see humanity as the selfish little monsters we are. People carry on more than they are allowed, try to cut lines etc etc etc. So you can try and herd the cats, but it is never going to go as well as it can.

The best I have seen is at Burbank airport where they board the back and front at the same time through two separate doors. In and out 15 minutes.

This was a big competitive advantage SWA had over other airlines when we did HBR case studies. However, it’s just one piece of SWAs quick turnaround. Other airlines would not benefit copying the unassigned model because getting people onto the plane is not the bottleneck. They have other logistical issues. All it would do is board the plane 10 minutes faster so that everyone can sit at the gate while they wait for the other tasks to be completed.

get me on and fire it up is my preferred way

Southwest is a **** show....a literal **** show. ill pass on un organized boarding over slower organized boarding any day. Plus, theyre only allowed to leave the gate at specific times so at the end of the day it doesnt really mater all that much and isnt speeding anything up. You would just board the plane later or sit in your seat longer before take off. Stupid FAA

I want to be open minded for those that don't care for our business model, but I don't understand a couple of takes here.
1. What part of the SWA boarding model is a "**** show" and unorganized? Everyone knows exactly where they have to stand in line, so there's no crowding at the gate to rush ahead of anyone else. I get the unassigned seat part, but didn't know if you were talking about something else.
2. I don't get the last statement. Each airline decides how long they schedule for turns, so if SWA thinks they can turn an aircraft in 50 mins, anytime you can speed boarding up by 1 or 2 minutes could determine whether you mean DOT on time criteria. If United or American want 40 or 70 mins for turns that's up to them.

Other than the Circus of the Sky Southwest, doesn't everyone board by group number, and elites? That's random.

What makes SWA a circus any more than any other airline? Honest question.

I don't mind Southwest especially the no baggage fees part.
I thought that some of the other airlines my catch a clue and either lower or completely drop the baggage fees since Southwest doesn't charge, but I guess not.
As far as seating goes, until the airlines make passengers only use the overhead above their row, there will always be the asshats that load their bags up front.

We miss out on literally millions of dollars annually because we don't charge bag fees, but there's no way we'd ever go back on it now.

I've always figured outside to in would be fastest, but travelling with young kids that just ain't gonna happen.

Also, every time I'm on a plane that boards ridiculously fast we still just sit at the gate for 20 minutes....so what's the difference?

I want to be open minded for those that don't care for our business model, but I don't understand a couple of takes here.
1. What part of the SWA boarding model is a "**** show" and unorganized? Everyone knows exactly where they have to stand in line, so there's no crowding at the gate to rush ahead of anyone else. I get the unassigned seat part, but didn't know if you were talking about something else.
2. I don't get the last statement. Each airline decides how long they schedule for turns, so if SWA thinks they can turn an aircraft in 50 mins, anytime you can speed boarding up by 1 or 2 minutes could determine whether you mean DOT on time criteria. If United or American want 40 or 70 mins for turns that's up to them.

We miss out on literally millions of dollars annually because we don't charge bag fees, but there's no way we'd ever go back on it now.
I hate to generalize here, but the majority that flies southwest frequently (like enough to get status) would probably agree that the SW model is one of the best for travel. My only gripe is the pre-boarders and connecting flights where fly throughs move to the better seats when I nearly always pay business select prices to get those few seats.

I use to fly AA and United a lot and I love the SWA model - especially the frequent flyer program.

Based on a lot of the comments in this thread I don’t think people realize there isn’t enough space for each passenger to have a carry-on, and due to fees/baggage fees more and more travelers are packing everything they can into a carry-on instead of a checked bag. There are 3 overhead spots for every ~6 passengers, hence why it’s a s*** show when the last third of the plane boards and tries to find an open bin.

For me it isn't about the money. I get checked bags for free with status and/or the credit card. For me its a different take.

The time it takes me to get my bag in baggage after landing is laughable. In San Diego (the worst offender) it can be an hour. My time is too valuable for that. Even Delta, which has a guarantee of getting your bags in a certain time frame is off base, because the guarantee doesn't guarantee anything. If it doesn't happen, they do nothing about it. #Marketing.

My only gripe is the pre-boarders and connecting flights where fly throughs move to the better seats when I nearly always pay business select prices to get those few seats.

Legit issue, for sure.

I don't fly enough to really have any issues. I prefer SW because they are usually cheaper and don't charge for bags. I sign in 24 hours before hand and then just try and grab a window seat wherever. I can see how people who fly a lot might be more concerned, but boarding is mostly a non-issue for me. The only time it matters is when the whole family is going, but it's still always been ok so far.

Interesting. I'll now be paying attention to this on my trip to Vegas Thursday. Judging by past experiences I don't think they'll be using the fastest methods.

I really don't understand all the SW love for their cattle call boarding. The free luggage is nice but I have not paid a baggage fee in years because of credit card loyalty.

The few times I have flown SW people stand next to the silver towers and get mad when you say that you are A15 and in front of them. Then you get seat savers and it takes a long time to hammer out those that are not seating next to each other. When I buy a ticket I get priority (Again credit card) and am very aware that I take my allocated space for carry on if I have one. I want to know that I have the seat I want. I always get aisle because I need to stretch my short leg or my knee will tighten up.

I equate it to movie theaters. SW is the old method of buying a ticket and trying to find seats in a before the movie starts. If it is empty you get your pick, if it is crowed then you are begging people to move. Annoying. More and more movie theaters around me are going to the assigned seating method and it is a much more enjoyable experience. you know that you will be sitting next to who you came with. It is much easier to just wait for the next movie rather than next flight but assigned seating is a good thing in my mind.

S, It was just a little play. As soon as I wrote it I knew I would have probably offended you. I hope you can understand it was a joke, and definitely not at your (personal) expense.

My honest answer to your question is that SWA queues their customers up in a big mess outside of the gate and then allows for a boarding free for all. All of the other airlines tell people to sit until their group is called. No one EVER listens. SWA makes it a circus. Other airline's passengers make it a circus. It's all a circus.

There isn’t enough space in the overheads for every seat to stow a roller board in the overhead space.
Back in 2016 airlines began changing the size limit of allowed carry on bags. There is plenty of space if they enforce their own restrictions.

S, It was just a little play. As soon as I wrote it I knew I would have probably offended you. I hope you can understand it was a joke, and definitely not at your (personal) expense.

Absolutely, no offense taken.

While I'm absolutely a SWA homer, I try to still be open minded about concerns people have with our operation. (y) If people have a legit concern, then say so. I'm happy to answer questions people may have about the "why" and/or "hows". Just like if someone only says, "Titleist sucks, and they don't know what the heck they're doing!", they should expect to get asked why they feel that way.

Last edited:
Back