Black face drivers.

Colt

Two is one and one is none
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: ????
I really like the sleek look that the PVD finish gives the face of a lot of drivers nowadays. However, I get highly irritated with marks/scuffs on my woods. One sandy range ball I don't clean off well enough or catch just a smidge of earth when teeing the ball low and you've got these nasty looking scuff marks on the face of your driver that you can't clean off. They actually look like they've "cut" into the metal. This drives me nuts!

This bother anyone else, or is it just me?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

This happened on my driver which has a shiny face. there is a little scuff in the center of the sweetspot :(

My RAZR Hawk got a ton of tiny pits in the face before it cracked. Not black but it happens to all clubs you just can't see it.

This happened on my driver which has a shiny face. there is a little scuff in the center of the sweetspot :(

I could probably handle in the "sweet spot". At least thats where the ball is supposed to come off of. I caught one yesterday just a smidge out toward the toe and now there's a mark on my new driver letting everyone know I caught that one a little off center.

Yeah and the i20 was especially bad...I say was because I am now back to my 910 D2...

Noticed a bit of this on my 910Fd. While its not ideal, I always try to remember that golf clubs are tools. Literally they are meant to bash into stuff. That tends to soothe my OCD.

Yep, drives me crazy too. I have a few of those spots on my 910D3...but oddly fewer on my 910F or 910H. The black face looks cool in the store, but I'm over it.

Yep, drives me crazy too. I have a few of those spots on my 910D3...but oddly fewer on my 910F or 910H. The black face looks cool in the store, but I'm over it.

Same here. Marks on 3W and driver which are used off the tee. 1 or 2 "deck" shots with the 3w. But not a single scuff on the hybo?!?!

I hit my rbz 5w off a bare lie and didn't notice the pebble in front of my ball. It left a spider web looking scuff but it's smooth to the touch so I don't worry about it.

I have these small marks on my Burner 2.0. It is a little aggravating. My old Ignite driver from Nike was the worst. I was hitting off the tee one time and I saw it spark. I searched the ground to see if anything was around there, but to this day I still have no idea. It left a good mark.

Sounds like it's normal for the finish to wear out quickly on the face. I bought my R9 SuperTri from TPO in "very good" condition and was very surprised to see the scuffs in the sweet spot of the clubface. The face was smooth to the touch so not a big deal, plus I've added a few more scuffs since I got the club.

Yes....it can be hard for me to deal with. But my 910 D3 seems to be more durable than some other black faced driver I have seen. Plus, when I can walk up to my ball in the short grass and have a short iron in to try and make birdie I seem to forget what the face looks like.

Doesn't bother me in the least. I actually like seeing the wear on my clubs. Makes me feeling like I have accomplished something.

But yet I hate rust .

I really like the sleek look that the PVD finish gives the face of a lot of drivers nowadays. However, I get highly irritated with marks/scuffs on my woods. One sandy range ball I don't clean off well enough or catch just a smidge of earth when teeing the ball low and you've got these nasty looking scuff marks on the face of your driver that you can't clean off. They actually look like they've "cut" into the metal. This drives me nuts!

This bother anyone else, or is it just me?

It drives me insane I hate when a poorly cleaned range ball leaves nasty marks on the face! I never had this problem with the shiny metal drivers I used to have!

I've posted in this thread, but it still makes me wonder if a golf club is starring in a remake of "Soul Man" with C Thomas Howell.

I really like my black face driver and now 3w. Both ranges I use have pristinely cleaned balls so that doesn't scratch them. Though I don't at all believe in TM's so called "alignment help" the while on black provides.

Back