Blades better for someone with steep and compressive swing?

alaskaguy2021

Reaction score
Handicap
hi all,
I have a very steep and aggressive swing with good amount of ball compression. Currently gaming PXG 0311P with Elevate Tour Stiff shafts. Im pretty happy with my irons but i did buy a #7 blade (wilson staff pro) just to play around with and hit it pretty good.

Main question, would blades with a lower bounce be better with my type swing? I tend to take a medium/ large divot with irons and if anything goes wrong with my irons it is usually because I dug too deep (not a chunk type shot though, just dig to deep and loose impact effectiveness if that makes sense?). BTW smaller club face dosent worry me.

hi all,
I have a very steep and aggressive swing with good amount of ball compression. Currently gaming PXG 0311P with Elevate Tour Stiff shafts. Im pretty happy with my irons but i did buy a #7 blade (wilson staff pro) just to play around with and hit it pretty good.

Main question, would blades with a lower bounce be better with my type swing? I tend to take a medium/ large divot with irons and if anything goes wrong with my irons it is usually because I dug too deep (not a chunk type shot though, just dig to deep and loose impact effectiveness if that makes sense?). BTW smaller club face dosent worry me.

The narrower sole of a true forged blade will dig even deeper with less surface area. Your steepest swings with the largest divots will generally be with GW, SW, and LW which naturally are swung on a steeper plane with their shorter shaft length. They also will have wider soles and more bounce than something like your 0311P 9 iron or PW.

I have a tendency to sometimes get too steep with my wedges and to correct it I'll hit the range and focus on getting shallower by having my right elbow to tuck in closer to my torso early in the downswing.

If you’re comfortable with the 7 iron that’s great there’s certainly some good benefits of playing blades for the better ball striker. Have you considered a combo set to get the best of both worlds? Personally I don’t believe that anyone except the finest ball strikers in the world should be using blade long irons…

If you’re comfortable with the 7 iron that’s great there’s certainly some good benefits of playing blades for the better ball striker. Have you considered a combo set to get the best of both worlds? Personally I don’t believe that anyone except the finest ball strikers in the world should be using blade long irons…
so im like around a 15 HCP overall, but if you look at just my iron play im closer to a 8-10 HCP. I only play a 5-PW set, fter 5 I go to hybrids (woods and also 4i just dont seem to mesh well with my steep swing). I have entertained the combo set idea but since i only play up to a 5 iron, im already cutting out the long irons.

I have a pretty good understating of shafts and wedges to make up my club set, but not sure how to interpret whether a high or low bounce would be more ideal for my aggressive iron swing. Im in Alaska, so a proper fitting to try different ones out isnt that easy, so i like to pose questions on here first.

I’m a 6 HC, been playing blades/players irons my whole life. (57 years old) Earlier this year I thought I was ready for a more GI iron due to my age. I couldn’t hit them. My fitter explained the fat sole was bouncing off the turf. I actually lost distance with the jacked loft g425’s. Went to Mizuno 223’s and I’m in heaven. So IMO, nothing scientific, if you’re steep, a fat sole does more harm than good.

hi all,

Lot of 1 dimensional answers here. Blades with a thinner sole vs other clubs with thicker soles. On a robot, the blade would want to dig more. With a person swinging, that won't always be the case. Strike may actually improve going to a thinner sole. I also wouldn't get tunnel visioned on the sole being the culprit for heavy shots as it could be from the shaft.

Lot of 1 dimensional answers here. Blades with a thinner sole vs other clubs with thicker soles. On a robot, the blade would want to dig more. With a person swinging, that won't always be the case. Strike may actually improve going to a thinner sole. I also wouldn't get tunnel visioned on the sole being the culprit for heavy shots as it could be from the shaft.
Or the swing.

Strike may actually improve going to a thinner sole.
That was one of my thoughts. People have some restrictive thoughts about clubs, sole sizes, divots and strikes. Sometimes if you're a bit of a digger with something, you can actually get to the heart of a blade easier when others might struggle, and might get out of the turf better with the narrower sole and smaller shape. It's pretty player specific.

well i have that Wilson Staff 7i i bought, maybe ill be brave and replace my normal gamer for a few rounds and see how it performs in the real world.

That was one of my thoughts. People have some restrictive thoughts about clubs, sole sizes, divots and strikes. Sometimes if you're a bit of a digger with something, you can actually get to the heart of a blade easier when others might struggle, and might get out of the turf better with the narrower sole and smaller shape. It's pretty player specific.
This is true but part of the equation. Most steeper players that we encounter also suffer from high spin and sometimes low launch to accompany that. A design that by nature is going to spin more can wreak some havoc. This can also be mitigated with a different ball and strengthening lofts if one would desire, but not to the same effect in my opinion.

This is true but part of the equation. Most steeper players that we encounter also suffer from high spin and sometimes low launch to accompany that. A design that by nature is going to spin more can wreak some havoc. This can also be mitigated with a different ball and strengthening lofts if one would desire, but not to the same effect in my opinion.
Yeah the ball and loft is a tough cover for that not working out. It was just an example of how the strike might actually improve. Doesn't mean the end results would be a fit even if it does.

Back