Blades Vs Cavity Back

Hey JB,

Do you know of any data regarding tour player age and type of iron played? I wonder if there is a trend in the tour toward more forgiving irons (e.g., cb vs mb) with the younger players because the older players grew up playing blades and that fits their eye. Whereas, the younger players had more "player iron" options beyond straight blades and therefore, they do not have a visual aversion to the more forgiving irons.

(I would liken it to tennis. The older players had a harder time switching to the lighter frames with bigger heads. Heck, look how long it took Federer to switch from a 90 to a 98. Sampras refused to switch he claims that cost him 2 or 3 majors. You don't see that aversion with the younger tennis players.)

Perhaps there is a similar trend in golf?

The 745 are a fantastic iron as well as the J15cb. Comes down to the look between those and a MB for me. XR, AP1 type of club is where I tend to disagree. I'll say again trajectory is where I have problems with that type of club. I also don't find The J15 or 745 class to be all that much more forgiving than a MB. No numbers to prove this just range time. I really do wish I could get passed the whole tire company thing with Bridgestone, because they make some of the best looking irons out there.

Srixon is a tire company too.
And Titleist was owned by a liquor company until 2 years ago and is now owned by a borderline discount apparel company (Fila).

Blades Vs Cavity Back

The opinion and experience of people not 5 or below seems germaine.
"The god d@mn Germans got nothing to do with it!"

ed87a49c227590e16da470bbd04f9f67.jpg

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

I love blades, and have been dying to get a set, and I think I'm going to even though my handicap is a bazillion.

I love blades, and have been dying to get a set, and I think I'm going to even though my handicap is a bazillion.

Swing to a strong finish dude, you will have no problems.

The facts JB is putting up is awesome see but the Fila comment being a discount brand is going a bit too far, I kid, I kid. I paid bookuu for my pants and shirt.

Swing to a strong finish dude, you will have no problems.

The facts JB is putting up is awesome see but the Fila comment being a discount brand is going a bit too far, I kid, I kid. I paid bookuu for my pants and shirt.
It was all over after TLC referenced Filas in the 'no scrubs' song...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A man who knows his own heart

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Srixon is a tire company too.
And Titleist was owned by a liquor company until 2 years ago and is now owned by a borderline discount apparel company (Fila).

Thats right Dunlop HAHA! A liquor company really? Good to know guess Bstone should have changed there name for guys like me.

Thats right Dunlop HAHA! A liquor company really? Good to know guess Bstone should have changed there name for guys like me.

Yes sir. Fortune Brands.

How are those determined to be which set as, just a guess, I'd think most are a mix set.

Maybe this accidentally got skipped. How are these set %s determined? Aren't most of them mixed? How do we declare a mixed set one way or the other?

This is a really great read and I've enjoyed the debate and learned a few things along the way. I agree that people should play what they want, but they should play what they want as long as they can still enjoy the game and the sport can grow.

If your a 20+ cappers and enjoy blades, play them if you have more fun with them. Or if you're a scratch golfer and have more fun with SGI, go for it.

It's not really about what your impact tape looks like or what it says on your scorecard or what you're handicap is. It really comes down to wether or not you want to get back on the course after your last round. If your clubs are affecting that decision, then you're probably playing the wrong clubs.

If you swing/strike through the ball to a good finish blades preform just as good if not better...the shot is just holding its line and am not punished much because of my swing through the ball. I can hit all over the face with Hogans and still hit greens. They are soft feel not harsh (even with 6.5 shafts!), very receptive at impact due to Endo soft forging. Blades teach you to strike through the shot, you can flight the ball well. They are also better at distance control ....

This is a great tip - I really need to keep this in mind. Thanks!

Maybe this accidentally got skipped. How are these set %s determined? Aren't most of them mixed? How do we declare a mixed set one way or the other?

From reviewing what many of the best players have in their bags, very few have mixed blade/CB iron sets. I'd say there are less combo sets than there are full blade sets. Unless you are including non-set blade-style wedges. But I don't think those are really being considered for this conversation.

We all play a non cavity call it a blade its a GW , SW, LW...they are 35.5 maybe to 36.

PW & 9i are 36 to 36.25, or even a 8i 36.5.

I am sure most could easily play a blade 9i & PW, maybe 8i too, I think mixed set are great for higher hcp'ers, but play what you want...

Some peeps ditch their oem PW and opt for a wedge that matches their GW, SW LW...e.g say like a SM5

Many many Mizuno players custom mix their sets

NB: Adams MB2 GW, PW 9i are very good with their lower GC weight plugs and play vgood

-------------

In regards to players clubs I like designs that have a smaller blade size, less offset, bit of a muscle. I like the look of Titleist 716 CB.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm getting better. What I can't decide is which clubs are at the root cause.

I practice with MB. And. CB. ...

IMO, the clubs aren't at the root of your improvement... You're taking lessons and practicing what you are learning. You can, and likely will continue to improve, regardless of the club "category" you decide to use.

Irrelvant argument IMO. Tiger Woods 14 majors but what does he know. Plays blades through his hole bag.
Tiger also played a very short driver shaft and stuck with steel in his driver and woods for a very long time. Very un-THP of him, but like you said he won a lot. He's also not super popular around here. :call-me:

Tiger also played a very short driver shaft and stuck with steel in his driver and woods for a very long time. Very un-THP of him, but like you said he won a lot. He's also not super popular around here. :call-me:

True very true. I personally love me some tiger at his pinnacle. He's easily the greatest golfer of my generation. I play this game because of the popularity he brought to the game.

We all play a non cavity call it a blade its a GW , SW, LW...they are 35.5 maybe to 36.

I am sure most could easily play a blade 9i & PW, maybe 8i too, I think mixed set are great for higher hcp'ers, but play what you want...

Some peeps ditch their oem PW and opt for a wedge that matches their GW, SW LW...e.g say like a SM5

NB: Adams MB2 GW, PW 9i are very good with their lower GC weight plugs and play vgood

-------------

In regards to players clubs I like designs that have a smaller blade size, less offset, bit of a muscle. I like the look of Titleist 716 CB.

Not really true, there are quite a few people who play their set GW, SW, and LW. So they aren't buying separate wedges. Or there are people who go with the Cleveland CB wedges, which aren't blades. There is just a wide variety of wedges available that you can't just assume that everybody's wedges are blades.

Not really true, there are quite a few people who play their set GW, SW, and LW. So they aren't buying separate wedges. Or there are people who go with the Cleveland CB wedges, which aren't blades. There is just a wide variety of wedges available that you can't just assume that everybody's wedges are blades.

Yup - both my sets have cavity back wedges. The 588 CBs are fantastic, and I don't feel like I lose anything by playing them vs. the blades. I also have the i-25 SW and LW, which are surprisingly versatile.

I don't know the total overall numbers, but I'd say I've played with a *lot* more people using muscle-backed wedges (usually Cleveland or Vokey) than I have using set wedges or CB wedges combined.

Not to mention, non-set blade-style wedges are typically twice the size of set blades with big thick soles and lots of bounce. And they have shorter shafts. So really they shouldn't be considered blades in this discussion.

I don't know the total overall numbers, but I'd say I've played with a *lot* more people using muscle-backed wedges (usually Cleveland or Vokey) than I have using set wedges or CB wedges combined.

I'm not sure it matters if a *lot* more use muscle back wedges or not. Not everybody uses muscle back wedges, and I was simply pointing that out to him.

-------------

Some people do play non player wedges...but most people don't in my opinion, ...your missing the point, and did not comment on the substance of my post ...

What I am saying is most players who play players wedges like SM5's , MPT's, Vr's, Mack Daddy's, etc can go to a 48, or lower, then perhaps a blade 9i or 8i.

My point is the playing lengths are not that much longer and I think a higher handicapper can manage a blade 8,9,pw.

Q: Cavity players...could you ball strike some what decent ...in relation to, close to center face impacts, with a lower lofted wedge ...or a blade 8,9,pw which are approx 36 inches long...the shortest club in your bag.

Last edited:
Yes your right...if your trying to critique my exact words, ..but your missing the point, and did not comment on the substance of my post ...

What I am saying is most players who play players wedges like SM5's etc can go to a 48, or lower, perhaps a blade 9i or 8i.

My point is the playing lengths are not that much longer and I think a higher handicapper can manage a blade 8,9,pw I think so...

I don't think I was missing the point. I was simply pointing out that not everybody is playing blades as people play different types of wedges. That's the only thing I "critiqued" about your post because I felt it was a false statement.

I don't think I was missing the point. I was simply pointing out that not everybody is playing blades as people play different types of wedges. That's the only thing I "critiqued" about your post because I felt it was a false statement.

Ok I will ask you directly about the topic posted, perhaps other readers could chime in too...

Could the avg golfer 5-15 hcp handle a 36' blade iron / wedge PW, 9i that has a similar length to their wedge?

Ok I will ask you directly about the topic posted...could the avg golfer handle a 36' blade 9i, PW that is similar length to their wedge?

It would depend on the golfer. I'm not going to just make general statements that certain golfers can or could handle playing blades. Each golfer has to decide that for themselves.

Back