Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Double or worse

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Daluteh

Touring Purple - 2024 Bag Boy Championship
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The second at Ballyhack is our first par 5. While you may need to watch out for the three fairway bunkers, there's also a lot of fairway that you can hit here.

1712136977099.png

This opens up nearly any club being an option for you, with it being a par 5 - the wheel is most likely to fall on the tee it high and let it fly option with the driver.

1712137544612.png

You want to land on the top left to give yourself the best second shot. Max distance being unlimited as long as you're missing the bunkers, if you think they are in play keep it around 250 to the right, 280 on the left side.

1712137699599.png

Second shot landing area is still a ways down there, reachable with some distance and aim, both sides look protected by bunkers to an extent.

1712137624093.png

Where you aim is determined by where the pin is placed, since there are two openings to the green. Do you fly it over the bunker or go safe and just try to get it on the green?

1712137846016.png

What's your plan on this hole? How do you score?

Here's MyStrategy on

3w:

1712138125575.png

Driver:

1712138149938.png

The hole looks to be playing downhill from the tee's then uphill back to the green where you get a beautiful view of the course.

I'll need to keep it in play from the tee, then over the bunkers, then third shot into where the 2nd shot landing is supposed to be. Giving this one a bogey with good strikes is more than reasonable, a par if I've got a front pin and can put my approach 4th nice and close.

This seems gettable in 2, but that bunker in front of the green is going to decide whether I go after it in 2 and it will depend on how I feel that day. Driver 4i, maybe a 5w depending on wind. If I am laying up, driver, 9i, and wedge. I think the overall decision on whether to go for it in 2 or not will determine where my drive ends up.

This seems gettable in 2, but that bunker in front of the green is going to decide whether I go after it in 2 and it will depend on how I feel that day. Driver 4i, maybe a 5w depending on wind. If I am laying up, driver, 9i, and wedge. I think the overall decision on whether to go for it in 2 or not will determine where my drive ends up.
There's a chance on how good / poorly I did on the first monster of a hole may also dictate my emotional approach to this hole.

There's a chance on how good / poorly I did on the first monster of a hole may also dictate my emotional approach to this hole.
This is something I have really worked on over the last year and a half is letting things go. Cant change the past and the bad shot I hit is over once it happens. Take the medicine and move forward. But yes I get it. It's hard sometimes. Golf is hard!

This one is sneaky tough. Those bunkers really come into play and can totally screw you for your layup. Not really a par 5 you can go for in two without taking some serious risk.

Even your third shot in is pretty tough if you don’t have the right angle

The tee shot is among the most forgiving in the entire galaxy, at least in terms of being able to land on the short grass. It gets harder the closer you are to the hole imo. The layup shot (if you so choose) is hard to visualize with the way the bunkers cut in. Saw a lot of 3rd shots from bad spots.

The approach is weird too with that bunker in the front/middle. Makes it feel harder than it probably is.

Green slopes off to the back right if I remember correctly. Easy to end up with a ball over the back there.

If I recall, @eddywhitaker hit this in two in our first match.

with the size of the fairway on #2 you can miss on your tee shot. The issue is where you miss will dictate your strategy for the remainder of the hole. The second shot is by far the most challenging as you won’t be able to see the green surface. You go for it and miss right and the ball is going to run way right. Left and you will most likely be out of bounds. The putting surface is slope in many directions.

Overall a very fun hole! I think I had bogey the three times I played it.

The second shot seems to be what determines score. Staying in the short grass after 2 makes for a good chance at par. Hit one of those bunkers and bogie is tough.

Such a great hole and a welcome reprieve after #1

This one is sneaky tough. Those bunkers really come into play and can totally screw you for your layup. Not really a par 5 you can go for in two without taking some serious risk.

Even your third shot in is pretty tough if you don’t have the right angle
This does really look like one where you need to set yourself up for your next shot.

Sorry to my partner in advance for alt-shot if we play the front 9.

Forgiving tee shot. I’m sure some long ballers can get there in two, that’s not in the cards for me. All 3 times I’ve played it I’ve had a pitch shot heading into it and a decent to good look at birdie. Biggest thing for me is that 2nd shot position based on where the pin is.

off the tee this is Driver for sure, swing full and let it run.
for the second shot:
- in the best ball it's a 3w attack if my partner has hit a safe lay up
- in the combined i'm laying up to a good distance to try and preserve par

x-factor is absolutely those traps center fairway off the tee, choke point on second shot, and front of green

off the tee this is Driver for sure, swing full and let it run.
for the second shot:
- in the best ball it's a 3w attack if my partner has hit a safe lay up
- in the combined i'm laying up to a good distance to try and preserve par

x-factor is absolutely those traps center fairway off the tee, choke point on second shot, and front of green
Correct me where I'm wrong @ddec but we're only doing best ball off of the drive, right for the Shamble - this isn't a full scramble (for us at least).

Best was a bogey heads up against @Canadan. Was in my pocket the first time I played it. Ended up in the tall stuff right and never could get going.

Correct me where I'm wrong @ddec but we're only doing best ball off of the drive, right for the Shamble - this isn't a full scramble (for us at least).

best ball (fourball) is not the same thing as scramble

our first round is Shamble Best Ball - choose the better tee shot, then play your own ball in, the better score counts as your team's score
then 9 of Alt Shot - take turns
our second round is Shamble Combined - choose the better tee shot, then play your own ball in, both scores added together count as your team's score

best ball (fourball) is not the same thing as scramble; it's shamble off the tee, and then play your own ball, the better score counts as your team's score

our first round is Shamble Best Ball, then 9 of Alt Shot
our second round is Shamble Combined
I misunderstood what you were saying. I'm following you now, I've said it before I'll say it again I'm not a smart man.

I misunderstood what you were saying. I'm following you now, I've said it before I'll say it again I'm not a smart man.
it's just confusing language: "best ball" sounds like it should be scramble. but it's not. because golf.

i do think the kind of match we're playing is a big consideration for how to approach these holes. for example in Alt Shot, making a decision that plays into your partner's strength for the next shot is a critical bit of thinking your way around the course. in our case i think @Mikey D goes first on hole #1 with less-than-driver; then on hole #2 i'm up with driver off the tee, and he can play his most comfortable iron for the second shot to somewhere short of the "pinch point" bunker.

best ball (fourball) is not the same thing as scramble

our first round is Shamble Best Ball - choose the better tee shot, then play your own ball in, the better score counts as your team's score
then 9 of Alt Shot - take turns
our second round is Shamble Combined - choose the better tee shot, then play your own ball in, both scores added together count as your team's score
Correct answer.

it's just confusing language: "best ball" sounds like it should be scramble. but it's not. because golf.

i do think the kind of match we're playing is a big consideration for how to approach these holes. for example in Alt Shot, making a decision that plays into your partner's strength for the next shot is a critical bit of thinking your way around the course. in our case i think @Mikey D goes first on hole #1 with less-than-driver; then on hole #2 i'm up with driver off the tee, and he can play his most comfortable iron for the second shot to somewhere short of the "pinch point" bunker.
I concur. I am thinking there are a number of other holes where tee shot strategy is going to come into play more than this one for me at least. This one is a no brainer driver in my estimation.

I concur. I am thinking there are a number of other holes where tee shot strategy is going to come into play more than this one for me at least. This one is a no brainer driver in my estimation.
Grip it and rip it yup

LOT of fairway is an understatement hahaha

Let it rip, but be prepared for that uphill second shot if you leak it right. This is a fun hole, I think I’ve made two pars, a birdie, and a bogey on it, so I’m optimistically going Birdie this time haha

This does really look like one where you need to set yourself up for your next shot.

Sorry to my partner in advance for alt-shot if we play the front 9.
It’s okay. In two rounds on this hole, I managed to hit one OB and in the center bunker. @blazinden carried us this hole

I’m thinking this should be a good look at birdie but an easy par. Driver, 4i, little wedge on and move along. If the new Mitsubishi has me dialed in, maybe 2h going for the green in two.

Until further notice, put me down for anything between a birdie (if I'm lucky) to a triple for any given hole :ROFLMAO: It will come down to my short game, the bane of my golf existance. I can typically recover from errant tee or approach shots and at least give myself a shot at bogey, which is my goal for every hole I played. Yips around the green is where I typically lose strokes. Putting is usually ok if I can get the speed down.

I'll be looking at anywhere from 8 - 11 rounds before the event happens if all goes to plan to work out some kinks. Getting excited boys! I really need a break from all the sh!t at work lately, The Bag Boy Championship and a trip to Myrtle Beach in less than two weeks is the perfect solution.

Back