Bridgestone Unveils OTTO

This is a logical progression. Kudos to Bridgestone for bringing this to market. I don’t know any golfers that have been professionally fit for a golf ball, including me, and I’ll guess that at least half the guys I play with should be playing a different ball. I’m curious if this will increase market share for Bridgestone. I’m currently the only one of my dozen regular golf buddies that play Bridgestone.

Really cool tech. Does it provide feedback on why a ball would be selected or give a secondary choice?
I have not gone through it yet, but based on their fittings I would say some information is given. It will function a bit like a launch monitor per the release and have quite a bit of data.

Cool concept and would like to see it in action.

Very cool. Doubt will ever see one in my neck of the woods but hope to run across one eventually while traveling.

How many of these are Bridgestone putting in the wild? Is Bridgestone moving some around to make them more accessible?

I like this idea and reading the following, I wonder if we see these more at indoor simulators or places like Top Golf

“Currently there are over 25 million golfers who participate in non-traditional golf, meaning at off course entertainment venues or on simulators. As the leader in golf ball fitting, we feel a responsibility to make sure players continue to be excited and engaged while also having the ability to choose gear that best suits their game. With OTTO’S innovative design we’ve developed a great way to do it.”

I'm sure they could incorporate this into green grass or big box fitting days, so it will be cool to see where these pop up.

I have not gone through it yet, but based on their fittings I would say some information is given. It will function a bit like a launch monitor per the release and have quite a bit of data.
Basically functions like their in person ball fitting, minus the human operator.

How many of these are Bridgestone putting in the wild? Is Bridgestone moving some around to make them more accessible?
The announcement directs you to the website to find locations of the OTTO, however said website hasn't been released yet. I couldn't even find the press release.

THP having information in hand first...again!

The announcement directs you to the website to find locations of the OTTO, however said website hasn't been released yet. I couldn't even find the press release.

THP having information in hand first...again!
It should be coming very soon. I know they are one of the few brands heading to Orlando for the PGA Show, so I would expect it to be out on the range tomorrow and then on the website.

It should be coming very soon. I know they are one of the few brands heading to Orlando for the PGA Show, so I would expect it to be out on the range tomorrow and then on the website.
Is the PGA Show actually this week?

Another example of machines taking jobs away from humans

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Kidding. Kind of cool actually.

It is an interesting concept but considering how most balls are designed to give very similar results from shots with a driver, how accurate can an assessment be done from just 3 swings with a driver?

Having watched ball comparison videos, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in driver results regardless of whether a ball is classed as high or low spin, but irons and wedges are where they start to separate, so I am curious to know how a ball can be recommended from a driver swing?

I went to the Bridgestone site and went through the ball fit section by answering the questions, and I couldn't get it to recommend anything other than the Tour B range - depending on whether I want spin or accuracy/distance it would flip between the XS/RXS and X/RX models

Is the PGA Show actually this week?
Yes sir. Kicks off tomorrow, but unfortunately due to a myriad of factors, most golf companies will not be present. Bridgestone is excited to be headed there though and we have some more stuff from them coming this week.

interesting concept. will be fun to see them start popping up in places

The announcement directs you to the website to find locations of the OTTO, however said website hasn't been released yet.
Saw that. My question was more about the number and whether some would be moved around.

I love the idea and hope I have the opportunity to try it. Maybe Nashville in April.

This seems like something I would use. I know when I did a big box balk fitting, I found myself adjusting my swing to make myself look like less of a fool. Probably wouldn't do that with a machine.

I have to wonder if the balls I hit at the beginning of my fitting aren't as bad for me as they seemed.

Totally agree here.
I have long said that fitting and lessons have the one major drawback of other people seeing you swing other than your friends and golfers are insecure in that way by nature. I say that not as a negative but human nature. Its one of the reasons for our THP Experiences, to show nobody should be.
Nobody should be, but like you said it's human nature. I can see how it benefits a fitter to make the golfer as comfortable as possible. The more comfortable, the better the fitting will match on course swings. The better the fitting matches, the better the performance will be when the golfer gets the gear on course. And I'm sure the on course performance has an impact on how a golfer views the fitting/fitter.

Reactions: JB
That is pretty neat. I'd try it out!

I definitely like this. Hopefully we have one near us.

This is a logical progression. Kudos to Bridgestone for bringing this to market. I don’t know any golfers that have been professionally fit for a golf ball, including me, and I’ll guess that at least half the guys I play with should be playing a different ball. I’m curious if this will increase market share for Bridgestone. I’m currently the only one of my dozen regular golf buddies that play Bridgestone.
I'm in the same boat here, and I can't help but wonder how many additional fittings Bridgestone will complete with OTTO in the mix. I'm sure they have numbers for VFIT and in person, so I wonder how far this will skew towards one or the other. I imagine more than in person, way less than VFIT, but where on the scale. A lot depends on availability I guess.

This looks really interesting!

I’d love to try it out if I ever see one in the wild. More data is never a bad thing for me.

That’s a pretty cool concept. I’d love to see his it plays out in person. Also, I wonder if the strike quality has a threshold for shots to be included in the three shots that matter. Could have a bad one in the mix.

So … wonder what would happen if you took a second set of three swings with the ball that OTTO recommended?

Back