Budget Bare Minimum Tools for Reshafting?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I want to tinker with shafts far more than I am able to because I just can't afford to pay 30-45 bucks a pop for a reshaft. I play graphite and I think golf is here to stay so I'm ready to pull the trigger and have myself some form of a club building setup but what is the bare and minimum I can get away with?

Here's what I have:
Vise w/golf shaft clamps
Heat Gun
All your basic tools, I have a sander, a drill, the little bits that you need to clean out the hosel
Swing Weight Scale

Here's what I THINK I need:
Graphite Shaft Extractor
Some form of way to regrip, but I don't really know what is TRULY needed to regrip a shaft
Is that it?

You don't need a graphite extractor if you're careful. I have never had one & have been reshafting clubs for over 30+ years. You just have to realize that you can't twist it with graphite, just has to be pulled straight out. Use evenly placed heat with the heat gun. Don't worry about melting the ferrule, that's why they are so cheap. I always replace with fresh ferrules.
You already have a vise with clamps, now all you need a some sort of vessel/container to catch the solvent in. Double sided tape, grips of course, exacto blade. They make specific tools for each job, but as long as you're careful, you shouldn't need any of those.
IMO you have the basics, that's all you really need to begin. (y)

I was in the same spot you are 6 months ago. Regripping really only needs a vise which you already have and I use a plastic paint tray to catch excess solvent. Most expensive purchase I've made so far is the extractor from golfworks here . They have less expensive ones that probably work just as well on the tools page. My next purchase will probably be the prep center with the belt sander and cutoff station

I made a shaft extractor for cheap. It's not fast, but works great.

@goalie - curious to see what your homemade one looks like. I too would like to dabble, but not ready to shell out any money. Would only be practicing on some old clubs. so no damage if it doesn't work out.

For regripping, all you truly need is:
Grip Tape
Solvent
Grip
Shaft clamp (that you would potentially already have)
Paper towel for cleanup.

You can do it with a tub beneath it to catch spill, but you don't absolutely need it.

You don't need a graphite extractor if you're careful. I have never had one & have been reshafting clubs for over 30+ years. You just have to realize that you can't twist it with graphite, just has to be pulled straight out. Use evenly placed heat with the heat gun. Don't worry about melting the ferrule, that's why they are so cheap. I always replace with fresh ferrules.
You already have a vise with clamps, now all you need a some sort of vessel/container to catch the solvent in. Double sided tape, grips of course, exacto blade. They make specific tools for each job, but as long as you're careful, you shouldn't need any of those.
IMO you have the basics, that's all you really need to begin. (y)
You are going to be adding more heat to the fibers without the puller and that can really change the golf shaft.
This was discussed with Kinetixx on Off Course in a previous episode. With low resin shafts, it does not take a lot of heat to really cause some issues.
I know @Canadan can speak more to that.

For a cheaper extractor, I just use this one:
1678977251763.png

It doesn't have as many of the features of the big fancy ones, but it has worked fine for me on graphite extractions.

You are going to be adding more heat to the fibers without the puller and that can really change the golf shaft.
This was discussed with Kinetixx on Off Course in a previous episode. With low resin shafts, it does not take a lot of heat to really cause some issues.

I've never had one fail

@goalie - curious to see what your homemade one looks like. I too would like to dabble, but not ready to shell out any money. Would only be practicing on some old clubs. so no damage if it doesn't work out.
I posted pics as I built it in the club building forum. I'll find the thread and link it. 😉

I've never had one fail
Fail and altering the shaft are pretty different.
If it works for you, great.
I personally wouldn't do it with the cost of shafts being as much or more than a shaft puller.

Can you all help me with my idiocy here? With a shaft extractor am I still applying heat or is the entire point I need NO heat so it dramatically decreases your risk to altering the shaft composition?

Can you all help me with my idiocy here? With a shaft extractor am I still applying heat or is the entire point I need NO heat so it dramatically decreases your risk to altering the shaft composition?
Yes, you are applying heat. Just much less heat is necessary due to the strength of the pull from the extractor.

Ok I still got a little bit of art and learning process there. It sounds to me like the extractor might be worth the investment. I was in for about $300 bucks here for the equipment. If I literally reshaft my clubs ONCE I've paid off that equipment at the typical prices I see per re-shaft so....

I'd be curious about the longevity of a shaft made by Kinetixx if not pulled as efficiently as possible considering even just how visually different it is.

One thing I will say, having that conversation stressed me out WAY more about pulling graphite than I ever was before.

I'd be curious about the longevity of a shaft made by Kinetixx if not pulled as efficiently as possible considering even just how visually different it is.

One thing I will say, having that conversation stressed me out WAY more about pulling graphite than I ever was before.
I guess I don't get how i'm determining if a shaft is low resin in this scenario where it sounds like it's MUCH more delicate with a low resin vs. high resin graphite shaft, I don't have the inside baseball that you or a JB are gonna have on the composition make up of a shaft. I'm assuming I can't figure this out for most graphite shafts just looking at the specs right?

I guess I don't get how i'm determining if a shaft is low resin in this scenario where it sounds like it's MUCH more delicate with a low resin vs. high resin graphite shaft, I don't have the inside baseball that you or a JB are gonna have on the composition make up of a shaft. I'm assuming I can't figure this out for most graphite shafts just looking at the specs right?
Its not more delicate. Materials breakdown at a temperature. Jason from Kinetixx goes over all of that during the podcast. It wasnt specific to hit shaft line.

I have a shaft extractor and a heat gun. Everything else is pretty much what I had in the basement for other projects. I don’t have a swingweight scale I keep meaning to pick one up and haven’t yet. I finish ferrules by hand. I did a set of irons recently and two of them were off a bit on swingweight which a fitter at CC picked up when I was doing a fitting there. I think that was more luck though.\

The beauty of the extractor is that you just apply the minimum amount of heat to get the head to pop off the shaft. For driver shafts I have a set of screws and washers that go into the adapter it just makes it a bit easier.

Its not more delicate. Materials breakdown at a temperature. Jason from Kinetixx goes over all of that during the podcast. It wasnt specific to hit shaft line.
Ok, I think I'm tracking. Basically your conclusion to all of this is, you should always use a shaft extractor to pull a graphite shaft so lower temperatures can be used based off of the knowledge we gained from Kinnetix as the "evidence". I was just struggling to draw a conclusion. It sounds like the shaft extractor is worth the money.

I have a shaft extractor and a heat gun. Everything else is pretty much what I had in the basement for other projects. I don’t have a swingweight scale I keep meaning to pick one up and haven’t yet. I finish ferrules by hand. I did a set of irons recently and two of them were off a bit on swingweight which a fitter at CC picked up when I was doing a fitting there. I think that was more luck though.\

The beauty of the extractor is that you just apply the minimum amount of heat to get the head to pop off the shaft. For driver shafts I have a set of screws and washers that go into the adapter it just makes it a bit easier.
I just bought this thing that works with a normal digital "food/jewelry" scale. Not sure how great it is yet but for $35 bucks I thought it was worth a shot.

I just bought this thing that works with a normal digital "food/jewelry" scale. Not sure how great it is yet but for $35 bucks I thought it was worth a shot.

What do you have to spend on a scale? I don’t have one of those.

What do you have to spend on a scale? I don’t have one of those.
They're like 10-15 bucks and then my thought was you have a scale for other purposes vs. a tool that only does one thing for 70 to 100

Back