Build an "I Suck" Bag

Mine would look very ping-y.

10k driver
425 5 wood turned all the way down and flat #nogoleft
425 7wood turned down and flat
425 4 and 5 hybrid set up flat
425 G irons 6-9
Glide wedges 46, 50, 56 ( only real area I should be going after pins)
Ping chipr
Putter of a massive mallet variety.

Wait I could build this bag with my garage stuff today. Wonder how much better I would score? Maybe some experimenting needs to happen

I feel like I'm already there more or less.

I prefer to refer to this as my “know your” limits bag. I basically play this.

Zx5 driver
Heavenwood
4h -6h Srixon MKII
7-Aw Srixon MKII ZX4
CBX4 52 degree
54/60 degree Zipcore 6
Putter Frontline Elevado

I could probably get more forgiving in the driver and putter. And switch up the wedges to 54/58 cbx4 and add a chipper.

"Max" style driver at 12 degs with 43" shaft
Hywood 3+
Hywood 4+
5h and 6h (tbd of manufacturer, maybe Mizuno as I hit there's recently and seemed pretty forgiving)
7-GW Darkspeed Irons
CBX4 SW and LW (likely 52 and 58)
Chipper
Edel Array putter, (fitted so you know at the very least you are aimed where you want to go)

The whole bit of dropping the 3w sounds good to me. Sometimes they can just be horrible clubs, especially off the turf. The addition of a few hybrids makes more sense. Seeing what the numbers are would be the final tweak, but that putter comment needs some thought. The right putter is huge, especially in the hands of us amateurs.

Switch from zx4/zx7 combo set to all zx4 down to AW

Drop the 2u and super hybrid. Drop the 54*

Keep everything else.
Paradym driver
Zx 4h
Zx4 6i-AW
PM grind 58 for bunkers
Any answer/anser2 style putter.

Less clubs to deal with. No temptation to go to erratic long game. Play everything a bump and run on a safe line. K.I.S.S.

I prefer to refer to this as my “know your” limits bag. I basically play this.

Zx5 driver
Heavenwood
4h -6h Srixon MKII
7-Aw Srixon MKII ZX4
CBX4 52 degree
54/60 degree Zipcore 6
Putter Frontline Elevado

I could probably get more forgiving in the driver and putter. And switch up the wedges to 54/58 cbx4 and add a chipper.
Love this. Honestly, I think ZX5 is a really forgiving option.

Generally, I think of the Ping "G" series as the reliably straightest drivers out there. My bag would have to start there.

I would have to include a dedicated Chipper because I currently suck arse in this area.

I would keep my existing putter.

The rest...hmm.

I don't have this fully settled but this is kind of what I've been putting together for my bag this year. I hadn't really thought of it as the "I suck" bag, more the "right tool for the job bag":

Darkspeed LS 8* - Helps with my sometimes high driver spin, hits it closer to the hole which helps my approach play weakness
300 Mini Driver - I hit this club about 4 times/round off the tee and 1/round off the deck. It's playable off the deck but I feel much more comfortable with it off the tee than a 3W
C723 5W - About a 50/50 tee/turf club. Off the turf I feel like I get more reliable spin from this distance than a hybrid. Doing some tinkering with loft and shaft to make it play better off the turf
Apex UW 23* or TEE C723 5h @ 21.5* - Both versatile approach clubs. Not really using these off the tee except long par 3s. Also are going to cover a bigger gap this year to leave room for other stuff based on analyzing how often I hit each club in Shot Scope
Tec OL 3 Utility - Bit of an experiment. OL lets me have a better chance of a functional utility iron than a VL would.
Tec OL 5 Utility - Basically plays as a forgiving 6i in the Forged Tec set. Can swing hard and get a little extra out of it which helps free up some gaps.
Forged Tec OL 7-9i - I hit my 8 iron great, so all my irons are this length. Not the strongest ballstriker so the profile helps.
CBX Zipcore 44* - This is the part of the bag I tend to take more partial swings, and I feel more comfortable with that generally with a VL club. Once I start taking partial swings, a very forgiving sole helps me avoid my main death miss, a chunk. Could get replaced by a FT OL PW if the wedge profile doesn't prove itself here.
Wingman 50* S/D - Don't have this yet, but planning to plug this in instead of a 48* and 52*. Tested the 4* gaps for wedge matrix purposes, but not sure I'm seeing enough of a benefit to justify the "extra" wedge. S/D grind to help prevent the chunk on square face shots.
Wingman 56* F/S - Originally went S/D grind here but wasn't able to open it up how I liked. Having the 2 different grinds gives some versatility on mid range shots.
CBX Full Face 64* - Bit of an experiment as well. Planning to use this like you would the Smart Sole 64*, just with a grind that is maybe more familiar to me.
Smart Sole C - basically a 15th club that could get swapped with the 64 or 3i. Unconventional for my skill level, but saw some interesting stats the times I took it out for fun last year. Kind of the ultimate "right tool for the job" club
Wingman 705 or AI One Jailbird Mini CH putter - both of these help with my primary weakness, alignment. The LockOn of the Wingman is really helpful for the short putts for me. I'm a believer in the AI insert, but haven't tested it yet, so we'll see how that shakes out.
Chrome Tour X TruTrack - Pretty settled on this ball but haven't had it on the course yet. Using the TruTrack alignment to help with my putting alignment weaknesses

I don't have this fully settled but this is kind of what I've been putting together for my bag this year. I hadn't really thought of it as the "I suck" bag, more the "right tool for the job bag":

Darkspeed LS 8* - Helps with my sometimes high driver spin, hits it closer to the hole which helps my approach play weakness
300 Mini Driver - I hit this club about 4 times/round off the tee and 1/round off the deck. It's playable off the deck but I feel much more comfortable with it off the tee than a 3W
C723 5W - About a 50/50 tee/turf club. Off the turf I feel like I get more reliable spin from this distance than a hybrid. Doing some tinkering with loft and shaft to make it play better off the turf
Apex UW 23* or TEE C723 5h @ 21.5* - Both versatile approach clubs. Not really using these off the tee except long par 3s. Also are going to cover a bigger gap this year to leave room for other stuff based on analyzing how often I hit each club in Shot Scope
Tec OL 3 Utility - Bit of an experiment. OL lets me have a better chance of a functional utility iron than a VL would.
Tec OL 5 Utility - Basically plays as a forgiving 6i in the Forged Tec set. Can swing hard and get a little extra out of it which helps free up some gaps.
Forged Tec OL 7-9i - I hit my 8 iron great, so all my irons are this length. Not the strongest ballstriker so the profile helps.
CBX Zipcore 44* - This is the part of the bag I tend to take more partial swings, and I feel more comfortable with that generally with a VL club. Once I start taking partial swings, a very forgiving sole helps me avoid my main death miss, a chunk. Could get replaced by a FT OL PW if the wedge profile doesn't prove itself here.
Wingman 50* S/D - Don't have this yet, but planning to plug this in instead of a 48* and 52*. Tested the 4* gaps for wedge matrix purposes, but not sure I'm seeing enough of a benefit to justify the "extra" wedge. S/D grind to help prevent the chunk on square face shots.
Wingman 56* F/S - Originally went S/D grind here but wasn't able to open it up how I liked. Having the 2 different grinds gives some versatility on mid range shots.
CBX Full Face 64* - Bit of an experiment as well. Planning to use this like you would the Smart Sole 64*, just with a grind that is maybe more familiar to me.
Smart Sole C - basically a 15th club that could get swapped with the 64 or 3i. Unconventional for my skill level, but saw some interesting stats the times I took it out for fun last year. Kind of the ultimate "right tool for the job" club
Wingman 705 or AI One Jailbird Mini CH putter - both of these help with my primary weakness, alignment. The LockOn of the Wingman is really helpful for the short putts for me. I'm a believer in the AI insert, but haven't tested it yet, so we'll see how that shakes out.
Chrome Tour X TruTrack - Pretty settled on this ball but haven't had it on the course yet. Using the TruTrack alignment to help with my putting alignment weaknesses
That's pretty interesting to see the Smart Sole C getting some use in your bag. I like it!

I mean... I have a LOT of this stuff going on in my bag already, LOL! :)

@Hawk I love this thread so damn much.

Driver - I'm going to lean AI Smoke Max. Big comfortable looking driver head with a large face.
Fairway - Darkspeed X 3 wood, which I will play closer to 4 wood loft. Ai Smoke Heavenwood.
Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL. Loved the Halo, the previous version I didn't like the look, this version looks way better. Give me a 5 hybrid.
Irons - 6-GW Ai Smoke. Those things are crazy fast or G430(haven't hit them, but I played O'Carroll's g425 before and those things launch so damn easily)
Wedges - CBX4 50/54, FF2 58
Putter - I'll stick with the LAB Mezz1 Max.

I’ve sort of changed to an “I suck” bag recently.

Driver - ping G430 Max
5 Wood - G430 again but only use this off the tee as my hybrid goes further off the floor.
3H - Cleveland Halo XL
5H - Ping G410
6i-DW - Cleveland launcher halo XL (switched from ping g425 irons)
52/56 - Cleveland CBX full face 2
Putter - LabDF 2.1 Been in the bag 2 years and not leaving anytime soon.

This got me a winter handicap cut after winning consecutive comps.

Driver - TSR2 probably stays unless the Smoke AI or Darkspeed overwhelms
Hybrids - ditch the OG SH and Epic SH and insert Srixon MKII 4 and 5h
Irons - Srixon ZX4 MKII 6-PW
Wedges - Zipcores stay put
Putter - LAB DF stays

There needs to be a club inserted between the driver spot and hybrids, regardless of fantasy or not. There's plenty of good options, maybe go with the largest most forgiving Darkspeed?

I would put my T•100’s back in the bag, everything else would stay the same.

Nice to see all of the Cleveland love. TEE C721, Hywood, Launcher Halo XL, 4-W, Cleveland Zip Core wedges

My first step in this direction was abandoning the 3w and going from T22 wedges to S23, other than the 60. Need to do an Edel putter fitting too, because I really believe that being in the right putter and then committing to it would save me multiple strokes a round.

The lack of a fairway wood is an "I suck" build for me currently.

Not sure what else I could do. Maybe shift into Apex Pros throughout the bag for easier iron distance.

I'm thinking for me an ISuck bag would look something like

Ping G430 10k
whoever has the most forgiving 5w turned down as low as possible (16.5 hopefully)to get a little more loft than a 3w and open the face to try to negate my left miss a little.
Callaway AI Smoke heavenwood
4utility iron (unsure which OEM as I've never played a utility iron
5-G Cobra Darkspeed OL - hoping for OL to steady my ball striking out a bit is it's been off the last few months.
not sure which wedges...short game is pretty strong for me. I might go CBX4 in a 56 and probably Edel T grind in the 60.
putter doesn't matter, I'm going to suck with it no matter what :(

If I did this, I think it'd be an almost all Cleveland bag.

Driver - Paradym Smoke MAX
Fairway - Cleveland Halo XL 3 & 4 Hy-Wood
Hybrid - Halo XL 5h
Irons - Zipcore XL
Wedges - CBX 4 ZipCore

Last year my handicap only went up as I was working on swing changes on my own with clubs that worked well for me when I was swinging good but that wasn't very often. I decided to build a very forgiving bag and this "I Suck Bag" is exactly me right now. Along with the bag change I am taking in person lesson's starting on Saturday.

Driver - Cobra Darkspeed Max 9*
3HL Wood - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 16.5* (I have ordered and waiting on this club. Will make loft adjustments for gapping once received)
2H - Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 17*
4/5H - Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 20* & 23*
6i-GW - Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal irons
54/58 - Mizuno S23 wedges
Putter - Odyssey Ai-One 2 Ball DB putter

Hopefully looking forward to better golf in my future

There is a reason I’ve kept my Apex 21. Just substitute the iron 😂

I am already there, except I am old and can play fairway woods well enough but cannot hit a hybrid at all and I do carry a chipper. I do suck at golf and am not a good golfer imagining what a bad golfer should play.

Cobra Darkspeed Max 12* driver,
Cobra F9 3w and 5w,
Callaway Mavrik Max Heavenwood and 9w,
Ping Eye 2 BeCu SW-7i,
Titlist Vokeys SM56-10 wedge,
Odyssey Xact chipper,
Odyssey O-Works Red 7S putter

I am 74, am recovering from a shoulder replacement and suck at golf and this setup is what I currently play and what works best for my bad game.

My current bag is my “I suck much less bag” I shoot low 80s usually.
Ping G430 Max Driver,3,5,7,9 woods,6Hybrid
PXG Gen5 0311XP 7-PW
Cleveland SS C,G,S
TM Spider GTX
It’s still a pile of headcovers but I really love this setup.

My old I sucked more bag? Back when breaking 90 was less than half the time.
Ping G400 Max Driver
Cobra F9 3,5,7
Cobra ladies 7W which is a 9W loft wise
F9 ladies 6,7 hybrids which loft wise was a 7,8 hybrid
X9 Extreme MOI 8,9,PW hybrids
Cleveland Niblick 37,42
CBX2 58
Odyssey Black Series 1

I still have this entire set and will bust out the old ladies 9 wood on occasion. It’s just so fun to hit. Moon balls for days.

Back