Buyers remorse with clubs

Davidhibler

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Who suffers from this?
I'm currently going through it with my irons. I bought some black Hogan PTX Pros because I have been lusting after them for a while, and after following the Hogan / UST experience, I couldn't take it anymore and I pulled the trigger.

I did this knowing full well that my ball striking, while improving, needed to get much better if I was going to have success with them.

I have failed to work on my ball striking like I told myself I would, so I am struggling. This is not a knock on the irons at all as they are beautiful and feel amazing when you hit them properly.

I got rid of the mizuno JPX EZ forged that I was using to force myself to stay with these irons and get better. It's not working out.

I dont want to get rid of them, so I feel kinda stuck and have buyers remorse now. Or is it sellers remorse for getting rid of my other irons?

Anyone else do this?
Maybe this was more of a vent than a genuine question. 🤔

I mean, look at the difference in 8 irons 🤣
20201206_122256.jpg

I agree they are beautiful!

I think we all have had buyers/sellers remorse. I am baffled by some of the clubs that I’ve bought and thought they would work. I’ve never really had it with an iron set, but hybrids/fairway woods galore. I remember bagging the original Ping Crossover instead of a regular hybrid...not too swift on my part.

Very few if any that I regret trying. Some I regret getting rid of.

Every club I purchased in 2020 was later remorsed and quickly sold, with the exception of sim max driver.

Always looking for equipment to fix something but it can't overpower the awful swing.

Not sure if I’ve had buyers remorse for the same reason but I’ve had it! Usually buy a club and then something I want more comes out :LOL:

I bought a new to me Odyssey #9 a couple years ago that I really wanted to work. I practiced with it, put my gamer grip on it for familiarity. Nothing worked; I just couldn't get comfortable with it for some reason. It was off to CPO as a trade in for a wedge upgrade soon after.

Very few if any that I regret trying. Some I regret getting rid of.

To be clear, I do not regret trying them at all. I'd love to get back to them eventually. They are AWESOME irons. Im just not good enough right now and I don't have anything else to go to iron wise🤣🤣🤣

I'm in almost the exact same boat with the Hogans. I bought the black players combo as soon as it was offered. They do look really pretty sitting in a bag in my garage. But, it's going to take a lot of work on my swing to hit them with any consistency. I still game my Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals. Probably should not have invested in the Hogans.

As an aside, I still have my JPX EZ Forged irons.

I'm in almost the exact same boat with the Hogans. I bought the black players combo as soon as it was offered. They do look really pretty sitting in a bag in my garage. But, it's going to take a lot of work on my swing to hit them with any consistency. I still game my Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals. Probably should not have invested in the Hogans.

As an aside, I still have my JPX EZ Forged irons.

Another Mizuno man I see. 👊

I have buyer's remorse probably 90% of the time. It's sad to think how much money I've spent on clubs that I shouldn't have.

The itch to experiment is strong, Prior to my current set I had purchased 3 set to replace my Nike Irons and they didn't get beat.

You have to ask yourself, is this fun? If it isn't, it is frustrating on the course.

The itch to experiment is strong, Prior to my current set I had purchased 3 set to replace my Nike Irons and they didn't get beat.

You have to ask yourself, is this fun? If it isn't, it is frustrating on the course.

It does get frustrating on the course for sure.

To top it off, I never demo clubs. Just buy them.and test them out on my own :(

could it be shaft related?

back around 2013 I bought some Mizuno JPX irons becaue of the repuation. I had them for about a year and wanted so badly for them to beat my much lower cost wilson CI9 irons out of the bag. After a year, I concluded it would never happen and sold them for about what I had in them. I think the unfortunate situation is the ball does not know what brand hits it😢

could it be shaft related?

back around 2013 I bought some Mizuno JPX irons becaue of the repuation. I had them for about a year and wanted so badly for them to beat my much lower cost wilson CI9 irons out of the bag. After a year, I concluded it would never happen and sold them for about what I had in them. I think the unfortunate situation is the ball does not know what brand hits it😢

I doubt it's shaft related. I actually really like the shafts.
I really just think I need a little bit of a bigger head with more help.
I just stink at golf and I try to do more than I should.

Golf is hard.

I am keeping my current Apex irons (at least for a while) for this very reason even though I expect to love my new Apex DCBs. I haven’t regretted anything too bad, but I have had an item or two in my day that I have bought (used), played once, and turn around and resold.

It does get frustrating on the course for sure.

To top it off, I never demo clubs. Just buy them.and test them out on my own :(
I was that way until I got my Apex 19 irons. My suggestion is to get fit. It costs a little more initially but if you are swapping here and there it really adds up. Maybe you get selected for the GD or the MC and you won’t have to worry about it.

I was that way until I got my Apex 19 irons. My suggestion is to get fit. It costs a little more initially but if you are swapping here and there it really adds up. Maybe you get selected for the GD or the MC and you won’t have to worry about it.

Honestly that's the only way I see myself going for a fitting. I dont even test clubs in stores.
Not necessarily a cost thing, but A personality thing. Got the aspergers (mild)🤣 and I avoid those types of situations.

Maybe give them, and yourself, more of a chance?

I’ll second that. I think I’m a 4.7 right now but there are days I can’t hit any club. It doesn’t matter the club. I’m either good. Or not. There is not “decent but left something to be desired” type days.

One good outdoor range session and I’m all in on my set. They gap perfectly for ma based on Trackman. It’ll take a round or two but I’m mostly all on this year.

I can understand that. Not so much golf wise (except one time when I bought a smaller brand driver full price and hated it then sold it for literally 20% of what I bought it for haha..........).

Def keep them. If its possible, scour ebay for a "new to you" set of Mizunos or other brand that would give you a little more confidence. Then every once in awhile, bring out the Hogans and give them some fresh air :)

Honestly that's the only way I see myself going for a fitting. I dont even test clubs in stores.
Not necessarily a cost thing, but A personality thing. Got the aspergers (mild)🤣 and I avoid those types of situations.

Takes a man to admit something like that. I shall keep it in mind when we interact. I have a few nieces and nephews with mild to moderate casss.

Salute sir! You seem like good people!!!

I have two tendencies when I shop for clubs - (1) if anything, I underestimate my abilities, and (2) I research to death and don’t usually buy until I try.

I haven’t ever even tried a set of player’s irons, I just assume I probably shouldn’t be playing them at my skill level (or lack thereof). I’d like to try them to see if I’m right or not, but I can’t bring myself to drop $1000+ on a set of irons I don’t even know if I could play. I guess that’s how I’ve avoided buyer’s remorse so far, haha.

Back