Cabot Citrus Farms

MGoBlue

2021 Titleist Experience!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A few of us put up a live round of the Karoo course.

I would agree with most of what he said, but there is still some grass that needs to grow out. Depending on what bounces you got, you could lose a ball pretty easily if it hopped a direction you just couldn’t see. Also, they should speed the greens up. I’m sadistic, give me carnage. If Streamsong and Pinehurst can do it, they can do it too.

A few of us put up a live round of the Karoo course.

I would agree with most of what he said, but there is still some grass that needs to grow out. Depending on what bounces you got, you could lose a ball pretty easily if it hopped a direction you just couldn’t see. Also, they should speed the greens up. I’m sadistic, give me carnage. If Streamsong and Pinehurst can do it, they can do it too.
I cant get the story to load, but it has a ways to go to be considered one of the bests, IMO. I enjoyed the course, a TON, but it still has some growing to do.

One thing I keep thinking back to is the sheer size of a lot of those greens. Having a 70 yard putt was something new.

I cant get the story to load, but it has a ways to go to be considered one of the bests, IMO. I enjoyed the course, a TON, but it still has some growing to do.

One thing I keep thinking back to is the sheer size of a lot of those greens. Having a 70 yard putt was something new.
A slow 70yd putt, no less. Like, should have chipped a 5i...

Excuse Me Wow GIF by StickerGiant

Hole 3 was a par 3 that played a little downhill. I hit a skanky drop kicky 5i that got there and went a little past the hole. Troy hit a much better 5i, hole high'ish right. Greg took an alternative approach.

War Eagle smoked 5 and it went to the near back of the green, when it was a front pin. It may not have been actually 70yds, but it was definitely at least 50.

Hole 3 was a par 3 that played a little downhill. I hit a skanky drop kicky 5i that got there and went a little past the hole. Troy hit a much better 5i, hole high'ish right. Greg took an alternative approach.

War Eagle smoked 5 and it went to the near back of the green, when it was a front pin. It may not have been actually 70yds, but it was definitely at least 50.
Yeah, I'm chipping that or at least a hybrid bump and run hahaah

No kidding. The first and 6th? green are a double green. Front pin on either, you could absolutely have a 70yd putt though, and that’s not exaggeration.

Ahem, I hit a 6i while you mortals hit a 5i. No big deal though.
I posted a picture of the green, it was legit close to 50yards and broke about 5 times. I was ecstatic with a 3 putt, honestly.

No kidding. The first and 6th? green are a double green. Front pin on either, you could absolutely have a 70yd putt though, and that’s not exaggeration.
If I ever play to the wrong pin, Im just finishing it out at the pin im closest too. #LocalRules

Bud that I am playing there with early April was there today. He spoke of the difficult grounds outside of fairways and greens. Especially bunkers. Spoke well of it and he's not easily impressed. Thought it was in better shape than he expected based on it's early opening.

Bud that I am playing there with early April was there today. He spoke of the difficult grounds outside of fairways and greens. Especially bunkers. Spoke well of it and he's not easily impressed. Thought it was in better shape than he expected based on it's early opening.
Well, outside of fairways and greens is either waste bunkers or sand trap, so, there’s that.

The entire course is fairways and greens. Everything is Florida, in that region.

If the greens speed up, it’s going to be killer.

Well, outside of fairways and greens is either waste bunkers or sand trap, so, there’s that.

The entire course is fairways and greens. Everything is Florida, in that region.

Or weird little tufts of grass that haven’t turned into rough yet so it just eats your ball.

@MWard How’s the irrigation system? If we don’t get sufficient rain this year, it’ll cook. Wishing the best for Cabot.

@MWard How’s the irrigation system? If we don’t get sufficient rain this year, it’ll cook. Wishing the best for Cabot.
It was green, so I’m guessing it’s still good. We had rain a few days prior if I remember, so it wasn’t just baked out. The greens will become more receptive in the next year or two once thatch gets established.

I remember the greens were trash when it was Pine Barrens, the fairways were typically just fine (when they took care of them)

A bunch of buddies are playing Cabot in the next week or 10 days... I'm quite envious of the opportunity!! (i couldn't get away from work)
My wife and i will be in Hernando - a half hour away, in late May and anxious to get out on the course. Played it when it was World Woods, many years ago and still in great shape and loved it then.... can't wait!

His 2nd response to me was that 3 of the 4 of them never finished 16 the par 3. Pin was back behind a crater and 3 of them couldn't hold the ball anywhere near pin to finish. And they advised the greens were running slow. I'd say your area is more FL standard were as the area of Cabot is more like NC.
Back when World Woods first opened they were a beacon for golf travelers. They were descended on like not much prior. Cabot will make this place shine brighter than Streamsong ultimately in my mind. As Karoo will climb higher than Red. But dang, the two places are not that far apart. Awesome 1/2.

Another yardage book for the bin.

The Apple News story won’t load. But- I have seen lots of ads for the place recently, and Rick Shiels just released a video. I never really took notice of where it was until RS popped up the satellite image. WTF? That’s just the Old World Woods location. Granted a Crenshaw revamped version of WW. Don’t know what course he played, but it seems like it’s the Pine Barrens course on steroids. Looks like they redesigned the holes and routing, maybe, made the greens bigger and expanded the waste areas. RS mentioned it doesn’t ‘officially’ open until September, so greens aren’t really fully up to snuff- slow and bumpy. But it sure looked like it was getting plenty of play which can’t help the course be in its best shape when it does open.
Played both courses at WW in its prime (and a bit past), and can say I enjoyed the fact that there was nothing there. No Lodges, Houses, etc… Just golf. Just making it a ‘Destination’ Golf Resort doesn’t make it a sure fire winner, either. If it turns out to be a horrendously difficult, over priced product, it’s a one and done, no repeat business place. Not an ideal model for success.
As I said, I’ve seen a LOT of ads for it, so they are spending money to promote it. Which means the cost to play might be a bit steep after preview rates are done. I wish them well because nobody really wants courses to fail. And it just as easily could have been turned into another cookie cutter development or Solar Farm.

The Apple News story won’t load. But- I have seen lots of ads for the place recently, and Rick Shiels just released a video. I never really took notice of where it was until RS popped up the satellite image. WTF? That’s just the Old World Woods location. Granted a Crenshaw revamped version of WW. Don’t know what course he played, but it seems like it’s the Pine Barrens course on steroids. Looks like they redesigned the holes and routing, maybe, made the greens bigger and expanded the waste areas. RS mentioned it doesn’t ‘officially’ open until September, so greens aren’t really fully up to snuff- slow and bumpy. But it sure looked like it was getting plenty of play which can’t help the course be in its best shape when it does open.
Played both courses at WW in its prime (and a bit past), and can say I enjoyed the fact that there was nothing there. No Lodges, Houses, etc… Just golf. Just making it a ‘Destination’ Golf Resort doesn’t make it a sure fire winner, either. If it turns out to be a horrendously difficult, over priced product, it’s a one and done, no repeat business place. Not an ideal model for success.
As I said, I’ve seen a LOT of ads for it, so they are spending money to promote it. Which means the cost to play might be a bit steep after preview rates are done. I wish them well because nobody really wants courses to fail. And it just as easily could have been turned into another cookie cutter development or Solar Farm.
Google maps hasn’t updated yet, that is still the old Pine Barrens course.

GPS hasn’t updated to show the new layouts, the course technically still isn’t open so they’re all super slacking on it.

Google maps hasn’t updated yet, that is still the old Pine Barrens course.

GPS hasn’t updated to show the new layouts, the course technically still isn’t open so they’re all super slacking on it.
Yes, the layout hasn’t been updated on Google Earth, but the Label has been updated to ‘Cabot Citrus Farm’.

Yes, the layout hasn’t been updated on Google Earth, but the Label has been updated to ‘Cabot Citrus Farm’.
That’s a silly move by them then, unless it’s updating any day now

Gotta change the name on the google maps so people can find it. Can't be answering the phone "Cabot Citrus Farms" and then tell people to google directions to World Woods...

Back