Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

It was easier when I had to play hand me down clubs and didn't even have a choice in what I wanted LOL. My head is telling me in the four and five iron I would need the standard. My head is also telling me I wouldn't be very crazy about having two distinctively different feeling clubs in the same set as the combo. And my heart is telling me go ahead and get the pros you're good enough.

I believe there is an option to order individual clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe there is an option to order individual clubs.

The only issues are the finish and the shaft options. Pro and regular Apex are different hosel bore sizes, so even if you go smoke, it'll depend on what you're wanting. They can shim whichever has the larger bore, obviously. For instance, PX LZ 105 is available in regular Apex and the combo sets, but not the Pros. So, if you prefer a .355 shaft, go with smoke finish and have the lofts adjusted, you could do a combo set changing at whatever iron you want ordering individually. If you don't go smoke, you get chrome Pros and satin regulars.

And we all know chrome is bad, eh Mike?

d65afbba8c5b1092d4d2b0e3abafda8c.gif

I can echo the toe forgiveness in the Pros as well. Today on a par three the pin was 158 with some wind into us. My 8i is my 160 club, and I picked that to just get to the middle of the green. I hit it out on the toe, like barely touching the grooves out on the toe. It was pushed but came back a little left and still covered the bunker that was 150 to carry on the line it took.

I've thoroughly tested the forgiveness on low and toe shots and the results are incredible. Barely any distance loss. I really liked the 14 Apex and Apex Pros. I really liked the CF16 Apex and Pros. I like the 19s Pros better.
Love hearing this feedback as I am still playing my 14 pros - such a great club!
But combo set is supposed to arrive tomorrow!!
That was super fast!!
I did the trade in deal but guess I have to call for a label so I can send in the 14's correct?

The only issues are the finish and the shaft options. Pro and regular Apex are different hosel bore sizes, so even if you go smoke, it'll depend on what you're wanting. They can shim whichever has the larger bore, obviously. For instance, PX LZ 105 is available in regular Apex and the combo sets, but not the Pros. So, if you prefer a .355 shaft, go with smoke finish and have the lofts adjusted, you could do a combo set changing at whatever iron you want ordering individually. If you don't go smoke, you get chrome Pros and satin regulars.

And we all know chrome is bad, eh Mike?

d65afbba8c5b1092d4d2b0e3abafda8c.gif

I forgot about that! You are correct sir.

The more I read the more I want a set of pros. Seeing that you are getting that much forgiveness on them is very intriguing. I keep going back and forth. Never have I had this much trouble deciding between clubs. Standard, combo, or pro. I need a therapist.

honestly, i just think you need to go with the pros. you want that feel, and i think you will find yourself wishing you had gone pro when your swing comes back into form each year.

The more I read the more I want a set of pros. Seeing that you are getting that much forgiveness on them is very intriguing. I keep going back and forth. Never have I had this much trouble deciding between clubs. Standard, combo, or pro. I need a therapist.

That's a tough decision! Usually I say just go with what you're going to enjoy playing the most and that sounds like the Pro's.

My iron swing has been such a mess I'm kind of wishing the combo set was available back when I got fitted. I don't know how much extra forgiveness it would provide but that extra peace of mind could come in handy during down times like this.

honestly, i just think you need to go with the pros. you want that feel, and i think you will find yourself wishing you had gone pro when your swing comes back into form each year.

I'm so easily influenced when it comes to golf clubs especially irons. I do feel like I would really love to Pros once my swing came in the form. But it's that short period when it's not in form

That's a tough decision! Usually I say just go with what you're going to enjoy playing the most and that sounds like the Pro's.

My iron swing has been such a mess I'm kind of wishing the combo set was available back when I got fitted. I don't know how much extra forgiveness it would provide but that extra peace of mind could come in handy during down times like this.

Me exactly. I would at some point be looking for more forgiveness. Even if it's just a fee weeks out of the year. Maybe a month. What was your stance on the standard compared to the pros in feel. I'm just gonna make a decision soon.

Last edited:
Me exactly. I would at some point be looking for more forgiveness. Even if it's just a fee weeks out of the year. Maybe a month. What was you stance on the standard compared to the pros in feel. I'm just gonna make a decision soon.

The Pros definitely felt better to me. The standard had maybe a bit more click to them but they still felt very good for that type of club and it wasn't a huge difference for me.

For a little insight in to why I went Pros I was fit in to the combo set but unfortunately it was so early in production they weren't available. I was given the choice between the standard and Pro model and went Pro for two reasons:

1. Spin - I'm a very low spin iron player and really struggled getting enough spin with the standard model and was still low with the Pro. My home course greens get very hard and I need as much spin as I can get. This was my main thought when I had to make the decision.

2. Size preference and ego- I prefer a smaller size iron and the Pro looked perfect to me. I could totally benefit from the standard model but I let my ego take over. The Pros are probably only a great choice for me 50% of the time but I let my ego make the decision.

If the spin had been higher I probably would have gone standard.

I tell you what, when I hit these things pure the feel and flight is as good as anything I've played.

Got in two rounds this weekend. My normal track on Friday and a shorter, but tighter course on Saturday. Both days I was able to make some great shots with these irons. When I get out of the way and just swing smooth these things go. I am starting to second guess going with the same shaft as my GD irons, just because the ball flight is so high with everything that you have to be a little extra cognizant of the wind. Still working out the kinks but just not used to hitting the ball that high. I was able to hit some knockdowns on Saturday when I got stuck behind/under some trees with errant tee shots, so if I can maintain distances with the high flight I'll take it.

Best shot of each round came with the 6I. After breaking for a downpour, hit to pin high just off the green from 188 on a par 3. On the second day, pin high on the fringe from 185 for an eagle opportunity on a par 5.

Only club I'm struggling with is the AW. Just can't find a consistent distance with it, but this is definitely me as I had the same issues with the Rogue Pro AW.

Overall, pretty darn happy with this purchase. I loved my Rogue Pros. These provide a similar package with a better look in satin, and a significant upgrade in feel for me. Distances may shake out to be longer but I've only played one round in temps ≥70-75 so not ready to pass judgement there.

Okay so I have decided that there are two options I could go with. The combo in the Apex, and the Srixon z585 / 785 combo. I hit the Apex Pro next to the Srixon 785 today and couldn't really tell anything in it. Distance comparable, spin comparable, feel very similar with a slight Edge to the Apex Pro. I felt that the 585 was softer feeling than the standard Apex but not a whole lot in it either. So I can have in my opinion softer feeling short irons or softer feeling long irons if that makes sense. I'm probably going to go a few more times help decide. Try to go one day in the next few days where I'm not exhausted from working out or work in general where I can hit standard apex, apex Pro, and the Srixon 585 and 785 in the same session. Golf is confusing

All good choices, just what makes you smile when you flush one.

I don't believe in playing to my worst shot as some do (see max. forgiving), which is a ego thing for me. If I don't think I am going to play well it usually comes true....in the end you have to be happy with spending your money nobody else.

All good choices, just what makes you smile when you flush one.

I don't believe in playing to my worst shot as some do (see max. forgiving), which is a ego thing for me. If I don't think I am going to play well it usually comes true....in the end you have to be happy with spending your money nobody else.

Well maybe after another session I will know. But....

Wow. So sexy!! I almost” feel guilty that I got these so quick! Of course the same morning that I got them I had one of my best days ever with my 14 pros. These are beautiful and the 6/7 are not too chunky in any way. I also like the shape and size of the soles
Let the testing begin!
e7117a78c34945c12f77b5051e35ea0e.jpg
d521d981c4db60514659d5cde2c5afef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. So sexy!! I almost” feel guilty that I got these so quick! Of course the same morning that I got them I had one of my best days ever with my 14 pros. These are beautiful and the 6/7 are not too chunky in any way. I also like the shape and size of the soles
Let the testing begin!
e7117a78c34945c12f77b5051e35ea0e.jpg
d521d981c4db60514659d5cde2c5afef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very nice. Glad you got them in already. Have fun with them.

Reading a lot of reviews from you guys who went with Pros and how forgiving they are despite the "Pro" title is pretty cool.

I see it first hand a few times a month golfing with @jim54 when he usually has a club less than I do on Par 3s.

When I got fit in January I felt the regular Apex were enough for me. The Epic irons were obviously bulkier/forgiving than what I currently game. But obviously after hearing so many THPers eagerly asking when the next set of Apex was coming out, I knew it was going to be a popular club.

I can't be any happier. I've shot a PB with these irons, I'll be a single digit for the 1st time, I've played some really good golf and fun golf with these irons, obviously some key lessons helped way more than the club itself, but now playing a Forged iron, I will never go back to a Cast iron.

Do I think I can hit the Pros? Sure, probably. But I rather have more forgiveness which the regular Apex provides compared to the Pros.

Whichever one you go with sounds like it'll be a hit and a fun iron to swing.

And for the record I love the set AW.

Reading a lot of reviews from you guys who went with Pros and how forgiving they are despite the "Pro" title is pretty cool.

I see it first hand a few times a month golfing with @jim54 when he usually has a club less than I do on Par 3s.

When I got fit in January I felt the regular Apex were enough for me. The Epic irons were obviously bulkier/forgiving than what I currently game. But obviously after hearing so many THPers eagerly asking when the next set of Apex was coming out, I knew it was going to be a popular club.

I can't be any happier. I've shot a PB with these irons, I'll be a single digit for the 1st time, I've played some really good golf and fun golf with these irons, obviously some key lessons helped way more than the club itself, but now playing a Forged iron, I will never go back to a Cast iron.

Do I think I can hit the Pros? Sure, probably. But I rather have more forgiveness which the regular Apex provides compared to the Pros.

Whichever one you go with sounds like it'll be a hit and a fun iron to swing.

And for the record I love the set AW.

They really are killer irons. Ddec and I were talking about the combos and it’s just killer how freaking good they are.

They really are killer irons. Ddec and I were talking about the combos and it’s just killer how freaking good they are.

They are. I've been pretty impressed by them.

Well maybe after another session I will know. But....

Sounds like you've worked your way through the process and closing in on a decision. Good news is you can't make a bad decision. I hit the Srixon's early on in my process, and if they would have had the same trade-in incentives Callaway did they would have gotten strong consideration. Beautiful irons that feel as good as they look. Forgiveness is a consideration, but it's still about hitting it on the face. Good luck.

What's everyone doing for grips? My order got completely screwed up (long story) and I have to reorder. I am not too sure about the tour velvet 360. Sometimes they feel real slippery, but maybe they just need a round of wear. I'll have to send my clubs back and reorder, so thinking of possibly changing grips.

What's everyone doing for grips? My order got completely screwed up (long story) and I have to reorder. I am not too sure about the tour velvet 360. Sometimes they feel real slippery, but maybe they just need a round of wear. I'll have to send my clubs back and reorder, so thinking of possibly changing grips.

Lamkin Sonar Tour. Fantastic grip.

Back