Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Its something that has been talked about before and honestly, there's not any easy or effective way to do it, its why we try to keep banter to a minimum in the threads, but things do happen.

As to the A-F, its not really how we think about things here and why we don't put "ratings" in our frontpage reviews, what is 5* to me might be 2* to someone else, and the reality is with different swings everyone yields different results and like different things. Beyond that, every club out there being released is going to fit someone, so pigeon-holing them isn't necessarily fair.
Ahh ok man. Let me think a little more to see if i can come up with something, but i'm sure you guys have brainstormed as well. Appreciate the feedback!

For anyone interested I just put my set in the marketplace. My love for these irons is well documented in this thread and they are easily top 2 I've EVER gamed.

The way you hit those Srixon irons, Mike, I'm not too surprised they beat about the Apex irons.

Played 9 yesterday, and my love affair with these irons continues. Easy swing just puts it to a penetrating trajectory with plenty of spin. They feel so smooth through impact. I'm honestly amazed that they can have so much forgiveness in terms of distance while still having a really sleek look at address.

I have bought a set of these after an impulse bid on eBay was accepted, comes with r300 shafts but I'd really like to get down to the St. Andrews fitting centre and get the shaft options checked out, I tend to be low launch due to shallow swing but I'm sorting that out just now

Love the look of these irons

I have bought a set of these after an impulse bid on eBay was accepted, comes with r300 shafts but I'd really like to get down to the St. Andrews fitting centre and get the shaft options checked out, I tend to be low launch due to shallow swing but I'm sorting that out just now

Love the look of these irons

Be sure to let is know how they work out for you, I think you will really enjoy them!

Today confirmed I made the right decision putting these back in the bag, just too good to me.

They've been sent by courier and should be here tomorrow or Thursday, can't wait!!

I'm planning on getting some range time to see how these shafts are for me then heading to the fitting centre if they don't really work.

Maybe if these are lower launching than my x2 hot it can force me into maintaining my swing changes.

Anyway, I'm very excited about receiving them!!

They've been sent by courier and should be here tomorrow or Thursday, can't wait!!

I'm planning on getting some range time to see how these shafts are for me then heading to the fitting centre if they don't really work.

Maybe if these are lower launching than my x2 hot it can force me into maintaining my swing changes.

Anyway, I'm very excited about receiving them!!
I think they're pretty high launching imo, and i think the beauty behind these are; pretty much all you need to do is hit them square and they're go a country mile.

Excellent, I'm really working on keeping my swing speed slow enough to maintain control. There is nothing wrong with the x2 hot, I've just always had a thing for the Apex and they came up at such a good price I'd have kicked myself if I didn't go for it

Excellent, I'm really working on keeping my swing speed slow enough to maintain control. There is nothing wrong with the x2 hot, I've just always had a thing for the Apex and they came up at such a good price I'd have kicked myself if I didn't go for it

I tried the Apex at my local shop and literally had the same thing happen... impulse offer on a set on ebay and won them for $450 haha... we will see how they perform when I receive them this week.

I'm wondering how the stock graphite shafts perform in these. I prefer the feel of graphite to steel shafts personally. Any thoughts?

I tried the Apex at my local shop and literally had the same thing happen... impulse offer on a set on ebay and won them for $450 haha... we will see how they perform when I receive them this week.

Interested to hear how you get on with yours

Mine are now in the ups system, delivery estimated for Friday but fingers crossed for Thursday!!

One thing that should not go unnoticed is the set wedges are so great. The AW is quickly becoming my favorite

One thing that should not go unnoticed is the set wedges are so great. The AW is quickly becoming my favorite

Glad to hear this. I have a AW coming this week, can't wait to give it a spin.

I'm wondering how the stock graphite shafts perform in these. I prefer the feel of graphite to steel shafts personally. Any thoughts?
I can't speak for the stock graphite shafts, but the 660 Recoil shafts in mine somehow manage to improve the feel, as well as fixing some of these irons tendencies toward a lower ball flight. Compared to the steel shafts I tested, I get a bit more altitude, helping the ball settle on greens a bit more effectively.

Glad to hear this. I have a AW coming this week, can't wait to give it a spin.
I really do like the AW, but I LOVE my 56 Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind. If Callaway made a 50 degree Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind I would swap out my AW for that.

I'm actually having a problem deciding on the GW/AW problem I'm having. I want a GW in the 50-52* gap but I'm not sure if I want it to match my other T grinds or match the irons shaft wise.

I'm actually having a problem deciding on the GW/AW problem I'm having. I want a GW in the 50-52* gap but I'm not sure if I want it to match my other T grinds or match the irons shaft wise.

I always err on the side of how you're going to use it, full swing then like irons, if not, then like wedges.

Last edited:
I love the AW, but really not sure about the SW (it was always meant as an experiment). Having a shootout between it and a 54 deg MD2 over the next few weeks, but the MD2 is the clubhouse leader after round 1.

I'm actually trying to decide on whether to put the DC Spinner Plus on my PW; any recs from the guys in here?

I'm actually trying to decide on whether to put the DC Spinner Plus on my PW; any recs from the guys in here?

I have recoil 95F4 in my irons and DGs400 in my wedges. I use my PW for full swings so I prefer the lighter weight.

I always err on the side of how you're going to use it, full swing then like irons, not the like wedges.

I use it for more full swing shots than partial but due to the offset and bounce I'm afraid that should I need it for partial, it won't be as good as if I got the 52* MD2 and bent it to 50*

I use it for more full swing shots than partial but due to the offset and bounce I'm afraid that should I need it for partial, it won't be as good as if I got the 52* MD2 and bent it to 50*

FWIW, if you go standard 52 MD2 it has 12* bounce then taking it to 50 makes it 10* bounce, just like the AW. As to the offset, thats personal but I'm an offset hater and it doesn't phase me.

Best advice? Don't over-complicate things.

FWIW, if you go standard 52 MD2 it has 12* bounce then taking it to 50 makes it 10* bounce, just like the AW. As to the offset, thats personal but I'm an offset hater and it doesn't phase me.

Can you help me understand "bounce" on a wedge?

Think you are right on the over-thinking part. Think the winner will be the AW over the MD2

Back