Callaway Apex MB Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Rounding out the new releases today from Callaway are the Apex MB irons. Classic blade shape, with 20V grooves, which are designed to reduce fliers from the rough to deliver control.

Aesthetically, they have added a new weight in the center of the club head allowing precision when dialing in swing weight, without a sacrifice in center of gravity location in the club head.

Apex MB Iron.jpg

Very simple look to these - I get the idea behind the weight, but not so sure on the how it looks if I am being honest although that could change if I saw one in person

Would be interested to see how they compare to my Srixon Z-Forged

Such a classic and beautiful look. Too bad not many of us can or should game them! But for those that can thus will be in the discussion.

Sex on a stick! 🔥

Currently gaming the 2018 apex MB’s which I enjoy so much. I’m very curious about the weight in the back. It’s definitely different.

Currently gaming the 2018 apex MB’s which I enjoy so much. I’m very curious about the weight in the back. It’s definitely different.
I'm thinking it's going to allow them to dial in swing weight without having to use to weights in the shaft that would pull the CG towards the heel.

Also, historically, they've seemed to have a heavy and light head for their tour staff. This will give them less SKUs to manage while giving the consumer the same level of customization.

I'm thinking it's going to allow them to dial in swing weight without having to use to weights in the shaft that would pull the CG towards the heel.

That is correct (it says that in the first post haha).
The groove change is interesting from a playing from rough, sand or with moisture present as well.

Also, historically, they've seemed to have a heavy and light head for their tour staff. This will give them less SKUs to manage while giving the consumer the same level of customization.

that is a good point. I tend to prefer a heavier head weight in my lower irons. Would be great to change rather than slapping an ugly lead tape onto it.

Way out of my paygrade from an iron profile standpoint, but I like these better than the UT or XForged looks wise. I am sure those who play this type of iron will welcome the updates

The groove change is interesting from a playing from rough, sand or with moisture present as well.

Yeah that is awesome. My current MB’s do pretty well in the rough but having the spin would definitely help. The question is how much of a difference is it?

These are gorgeous but I don't have the swing for them. They are a nice iron to look at but fortunately I'm smart enough to know they are not for me!

Beautiful. This new groove tech sounds like something I'd want in any iron set.

Beautiful but instantly reminds me of the Taylormade blades back years ago with the screw.

Seeeeexy! Too bad I can’t play me. These are gorgeous. Weight and all. I’m curious how a groove change is going to reduce fliers from the rough. Interesting for sure, but curious what the change presents in those scenarios.

This is a good looking iron. Won't even consider hitting it but would be fun to try.

Haha, I saw that. I am very curious about the groove change too. That will be something that would have to be put to the test to see how it performs in different conditions I think. I don't know if it would be evident off of a controlled environment like an indoor fitting area.

I know seem to be daunting. They demand precision. But, I still think that some players could game them just fine. Especially in the scoring clubs. Just look how much praise the Hogan Icons get. I am curious how these would pair up with the new X Forged CB. Would it be a pretty seamless transition in terms of feel and look at address? The loft is pretty close. Just one degree off on the higher lofted clubs.

Haha, I saw that. I am very curious about the groove change too. That will be something that would have to be put to the test to see how it performs in different conditions I think. I don't know if it would be evident off of a controlled environment like an indoor fitting area.

I know seem to be daunting. They demand precision. But, I still think that some players could game them just fine. Especially in the scoring clubs. Just look how much praise the Hogan Icons get. I am curious how these would pair up with the new X Forged CB. Would it be a pretty seamless transition in terms of feel and look at address? The loft is pretty close. Just one degree off on the higher lofted clubs.
I don’t think it would be perfectly seamless from a look standpoint, but most combos aren’t. I think a combo set could be done for sure

I love the idea behind the center head weight, a lot, but I can't get the look out of my head. Every time I see it I think it's a shotgun shell. I find it a little distracting on such a sleek finish.

Like others, I am aethetically having issues adjusting to the weight screw. I didn't even like the screw in my Callaway Apex UT. I like it even less in a blade, but I do understand the utility.

I love my '18 MB's they put a lot of concentrated muscle behind the ball and feel as good or better than anything. The new ones look great, similar lines and more features with the adjustable weight.

That looks really clean! Love the straight lines and I'm completely ok with the weight there. I wonder how playable these will be for a blade. The previous model was actually quite forgiving imo.

something about that weight in the back 1) reminds me of something else, and 2) kinda ruins the whole aesthetic for me. MBs aren't something i have any business putting in my bag anyway, but if i did i don't think these would be in the conversation.

Back