Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Got my hands on this at GS this morning hit the 9.0 in stiff and was hitting spinny moon balls with it.

I liked the feel and sound but no way I could play with spin in the 4000 range. I tested another low spin head and saw similar spin results so it could be a swing thing for me but another driver put up solid numbers.

Sounds like the wrong shaft to be honest. Which shaft did you use?

So for a non-stock offering they have a made for Black Tie?

I have to say that's very odd considering the demand volume that one would expect would be very little as that shaft isn't for the masses.

Yeah it confused me a little too. I saw Black Tie 75M4 and then saw where the 7m3 was a $200 something up charge. The assured me that the shaft was still the same quality just a little tweaked to make their driver work better. Only been one round but so far it is the real deal.

Played yesterday with the 815 and I had my first bad round with it. My timing was just a bit off and aside for 2 high and straight bombs everything else was tugged left and brought trouble into play. I ended up using my 3 wood on the last 2 holes to bring the fairway back into play. Actually had a good range session with it before the round, all 5 balls I hit were down the middle, high and long, the swing just got a bit off during the round. The next time I use it will be in 70+ degree weather and with green grass on the ground.

Yeah it confused me a little too. I saw Black Tie 75M4 and then saw where the 7m3 was a $200 something up charge. The assured me that the shaft was still the same quality just a little tweaked to make their driver work better. Only been one round but so far it is the real deal.
something tells me this not might be a made for but the real deal just like we saw and heard about the Speeder 565, 665.

Callaway had it first and after some delay it popped up on Fujikura's site as a standard retail shaft.

Going to give it a go today at 9.5 (-1) with 5 gram in toe and 1 gram in heel.

Just placed my order 9* with Aldila Rogue silver shaft. I'll try that shaft for a few rounds but most likely my DI-6 will go in. Look forward to providing more feedback on this thread.

I believe the there are using the new black tie the 7m3 is the older version

Just placed my order 9* with Aldila Rogue silver shaft. I'll try that shaft for a few rounds but most likely my DI-6 will go in. Look forward to providing more feedback on this thread.

This is the one I'm thinking about too. Silver 60 or 70?

I really don't remember much about my time with the 815 out at the Grandaddy (in the moment thing), but I know that I lived long and straight and in the fairway on Tuesday--and anywhere but the fairway on Wednesday (mental block--I couldn't find the fairway with any club).

Today I played in around 40° temperatures and threw the Project X LZ Grandaddy shaft in it. I tested out the toe mainly, but still saw good/normal distance and ball flight for the conditions. Then the last two holes I put my custom fit Rogue shaft back in it, and pushed two balls out to the right.

I like the sound at impact, and it appears to me to be pretty forgiving (especially out on the toe). I look forward to keep on swinging it.

I really don't remember much about my time with the 815 out at the Grandaddy (in the moment thing), but I know that I lived long and straight and in the fairway on Tuesday--and anywhere but the fairway on Wednesday (mental block--I couldn't find the fairway with any club).

Today I played in around 40° temperatures and threw the Project X LZ Grandaddy shaft in it. I tested out the toe mainly, but still saw good/normal distance and ball flight for the conditions. Then the last two holes I put my custom fit Rogue shaft back in it, and pushed two balls out to the right.

I like the sound at impact, and it appears to me to be pretty forgiving (especially out on the toe). I look forward to keep on swinging it.
You mashed it a few times with that PX shaft. Sound is definitely good. Someday when I can take a full swing I will give it another shot.

Probably a good thing I was late and missed the Driver testing last week, the 815 and DBD have my eye and with some of the crappy (see swing) drives I have been hitting with the 745 it would be easy to get into ponder mode again.

Love Callaway products, just had to stray for a change of scenery. Might be straying back soon, reading all the good reviews.

I gave this one another chance today on an outside Trackman. Very interesting. My driver swing is gawdawful right now and this is the only one I could keep on or to the left of the center line. Spin was still right at 3500, which seems high. I was carrying it 235 on a 43 degree day. The guys at the shop say add 15% for normal weather, which would put me at almost 260 carry with a 101-102 SS. Feel of the shaft and face were just as nice as what I felt yesterday. My driver ponder may be growing by one (I couldn't hit the presumed next purchase straight to save my life)

Just got back from a range session and this thing is a Cannon! If I focus on just making am efficient weight transfer it pops off perfectly on a nice trajectory with a straight to mini cut flight. Was clipping the fence at the back of the range which ends at 250. Absolutely incredible! And the sound is amazing when you stripe it!

Tap tap taparoo

Think the 9.5 (-1) setting is going to stay for a while. Hit several slight draw bombs, for me, today with that setting. Did not notice any loss in launch going down a degree from standard.

The 815 is a beast! I decided to go with the Rogue Stiff and a 9* head after testing. It is killing me that it got delivered yesterday and I am in Florida for a few more days and have to wait. I am getting some solid golf in though so I guess I can't complain too much. Looking forward to doing some work with it when I get home!

Had a great round with this thing today on a course that I have never broken 97 on. Using this bad boy I reached two par 5's in 2 and shot an 84 today. Played with one of my good buddies who is a long hitter and I was with him and past him today all day. He told me he has never seen me hit a ball so well and accurate. I am in love with this club and the black tie shaft. It has given me a new found confidence and it is transferring to my whole game already.

I had some miss hit today but they were all towards the toe. The accuracy was not affected at all and the distance was great. I thought that the ball would be shorter but when we get down fairway I was out there a good ways. The forgiveness of this club is amazing to me. It is a great club.

The 815 is a beast! I decided to go with the Rogue Stiff and a 9* head after testing. It is killing me that it got delivered yesterday and I am in Florida for a few more days and have to wait. I am getting some solid golf in though so I guess I can't complain too much. Looking forward to doing some work with it when I get home!

Rogue 60 or 70? For some reason no ome orders Rogue 70, eventhough it's supposed to minimise spin further... don't quite understand why?

Don't sleep on the rogue. Obviously, shafts are an individual thing. But I have been very impressed with the rogue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more I read the more I think I need some 815 in my life

You need to try it with the core in both positions. You never know, maybe the position it was in today was the bad one for you. When I switched it I caught one that felt very flush but it was like 30 yards shorter. I learned core up isn't right for me.

Yeah with the limited time I had I didn't ask to flip it. I'll get out and give it a spin soon when I have more time

Sounds like the wrong shaft to be honest. Which shaft did you use?

Rogue I believe but not sure which one, I'd definitely like to give it a run with a full compliment of shafts.

I currently have some gift cards to Roger Dunn and two drivers (913 d3 and Bertha) for sell/trade-in....I am seriously pondering combining all of that into a full 815 fitting.....

hmmmmmm

I shot a 94 this morning primarily due to playing my 2nd shot off the fairways. There was a really strong swirling wind this morning which seemed to be coming from all directions. The course is very tight and the front 9 aptly named Lakes has plenty of water. Not a single tee shot found any water which is pretty amazing, and none of my usual big slices off the tee.

Forgiveness I'm finding is great had a couple of low on the heel which started off to the left and managed to come back onto the fairways. In the last 2 rounds I have not hit any big high slices with this thing yet. Distance is still nowhere near my JPX though, total I am seeing is the same as the carry with the Big Blue Beast. I think I have now found a fitter not to far from me, I am taking it in there with the Diamana S+ blue and the Fujikura Fuel and see what we can come up with. Confidence on the tee is at a high for now, if I can just eek out a few more yards I will be more than happy.

I hit one today with the speeded shaft, this has gone from being I'm not sure about considering to getting added to the mis of serious ponders

Back