Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Got a good range session in with it on Sunday the weather was nice and warm and the ball was really moving for the first time since i got the Driver. After my session on sunday i do not think that i am giving up any yardage to the SLDR with the 815 it is just as long i do not get as much carry but the roll out is back that is one thing that i missed with the SLDR. The forgivness was still great most shots went straight which was amazing since i have not had any time to swing the clubs in 3 weeks due to moving. even after a few months i am still very impressed with this driver it is the best combo of Forgivness and lenght that i have played

Hey Brian, sorry if I missed it somewhere but what are your settings on the 815?

The LZ paired with the 815 might be the perfect setup for me. I've struggled with driver lately, but I hit a lot great drives today. Easy to launch, forgiving and long. It's fun to hit.
I'm hitting my longest drives ever with the 815 too. Struggling with a minor case of the lefts, but that is on me.

Hey Brian, sorry if I missed it somewhere but what are your settings on the 815?

Core down N and -1
The Driver at 9.5 seems to prevent a little balloning i was getting at 10.5

Recently installed speeder 661 evolution in this bad boy.
19068f9ff85fbecf3b3052ab64e5ecec.jpg
f194c8c5552c24032847e1809e0e4eb4.jpg

Naturally I hit it on monitor to get a feel for it and some numbers. Pretty damn good :)
fc068e54be86428e2cb5e2c6be36d41e.jpg

looks like some good numbers

Wow, great numbers. I would kill for your short one without the roll

Recently installed speeder 661 evolution in this bad boy.
19068f9ff85fbecf3b3052ab64e5ecec.jpg
f194c8c5552c24032847e1809e0e4eb4.jpg

Naturally I hit it on monitor to get a feel for it and some numbers. Pretty damn good :)
fc068e54be86428e2cb5e2c6be36d41e.jpg
I just put a 757 Evolution Tour Spec X in mine and the Evolution is the real deal. What a great shaft!

I just put a 757 Evolution Tour Spec X in mine and the Evolution is the real deal. What a great shaft!
I really like it so far. I was a fan of the 661 speeder and after reading some reviews I gave it a go. The feel to me is more stable, not sure how to describe it. The 661 speeder I felt a lot of kick in the tip but the evolution feels like it's loading more evenly. Way better ball speeds!

I really like it so far. I was a fan of the 661 speeder and after reading some reviews I gave it a go. The feel to me is more stable, not sure how to describe it. The 661 speeder I felt a lot of kick in the tip but the evolution feels like it's loading more evenly. Way better ball speeds!
That was my exact thoughts. I saw a 5 mph ball speed gain from the shaft. I'm guessing that is from the stability and consistently hitting the center of the driver face now.

Sheesh, I would kill to be able to hit the ball like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would take 2 good combined hits for me to get that distance.

Last edited:
As days and rounds and range sessions go on, I see the picture becoming more and more clear that this will be my gamer for the year. Paired up with the Handcrafted LZ50 and 12*...so much fun.

And its ignorantly forgiving laterally, I stand by that.

It is so Forgiving! My driver swing has pretty much dissapeared as of late and have been hitting the ball pretty bad. This stick keeps me in play when others would have penalized me badly! I am hitting the toe pretty much everytime and losing minimal distance.

As days and rounds and range sessions go on, I see the picture becoming more and more clear that this will be my gamer for the year. Paired up with the Handcrafted LZ50 and 12*...so much fun.

And its ignorantly forgiving laterally, I stand by that.

Yesterday's conditions solidified this one for me. Wet, soggy, ZERO roll & I was still seeing great distances. I adjusted my 9* to +2/D & I hit some great tee shots.

What I am impressed with is not only the lateral forgiveness, but a nice smooth easy swing just gets the ball out there at decent distances. So much fun to hit this one.

Finally wen above 50* today in NY so I hit the range after work.

Worked through the entire bag and spent a decent amoint of time with this Cannon.

Playing with draw, plus one, neutral, etc etc. Finally settled on plus one neutral with gravity core up. I tend to catch the ball middle to high on the face and was seeing towering drives with a small fade/cut.

The last shot of the night I decided to take out a chrome soft which has "worn" due to a half dozen simulator rounds....

Good god what amazing feeling with thay setting and the ball stayed in the air forever. Just amazing!

Hopefully will get the snow to melt so that I can hit the course in a few weeks.

Tap tap taparoo

Still loving the consistent dispersion I get with the Alpha 815. On a whim I bought a Project X LZ pull from an XR on the bay today for $63 shipped. Hoping it will be here in time to use it on the course this weekend.

You guys are killing me. Finally got enough tip money from snowboarding so hopefully going to get fitted this week. Cannot wait.

Yesterday's conditions solidified this one for me. Wet, soggy, ZERO roll & I was still seeing great distances. I adjusted my 9* to +2/D & I hit some great tee shots.

What I am impressed with is not only the lateral forgiveness, but a nice smooth easy swing just gets the ball out there at decent distances. So much fun to hit this one.

Got to say Thanks again Mike. I loved hitting your driver on the range yesterday. What a great club. I was quite surprised at the difference in the feel of the Rogue compared to mine. The Rogue is a nice shaft, but I much preferred mine paired the 815. That felt crazy good.

I'm impressed when I hit one towards the heel and it's a straight, line drive with minimal distance loss. This driver is crazy good.

I did something this weekend that took me a while to commit to. I cut down my handcrafted LZ shaft about an inch. I had been choking up so I was pretty confident this would turn out ok. I'm still seeing great forgiveness from this driver. Ball speed is good with my off center strikes, and the 12 degree head is easy to get in the air. I could use a little less spin, I'm seeing a lot of drives in the 3200 rpm range, but I believe that is more on me than the club.

I did something this weekend that took me a while to commit to. I cut down my handcrafted LZ shaft about an inch. I had been choking up so I was pretty confident this would turn out ok. I'm still seeing great forgiveness from this driver. Ball speed is good with my off center strikes, and the 12 degree head is easy to get in the air. I could use a little less spin, I'm seeing a lot of drives in the 3200 rpm range, but I believe that is more on me than the club.

I haven't measured mine, what was the starting/finishing lengths? I'm thinking about doing this as well, I'm a short dude and the shaft seems a bit long. Also I've been a little wild lately. Curious to hear how the shortening plays out for you.

I haven't measured mine, what was the starting/finishing lengths? I'm thinking about doing this as well, I'm a short dude and the shaft seems a bit long. Also I've been a little wild lately. Curious to hear how the shortening plays out for you.
When I originally put in the LZ in my 2014 Big Bertha, I matched the shaft length to the stock shaft, so 45.5". Taking of an inch woth my super precise measuring and cutting puts it plus minus 44.5". I will measure it when I get a chance.

Finally got mine today! After about an hour of hitting my driver (Xhot) and the new XR and BB I went with the BB815. The big difference for me was the forgiveness of off center hits with the BB815. I ended up with the Aldila shaft from the black diamond BB. Setup is -1 and center with the 10.5 degree head (so really it's at 9.5).

The XR is nice and I actually had a slightly higher swing speed (98avg BB vs 99 XR) with the XR but had a higher spin and less distance with off centered shots. Either club would be great for anyone but was really worth getting fitted as the numbers really helped me.

Compared to my Xhot I am about 5-10yrds longer but almost half the spin (1800 vs 3400) and with the off centered shots with the big beartha I was much farther. Excited to put into play this weekend!

Finally kudos to the EXCELLENT customer service at PGA SUPERSTORE in Orlando. The fitting with Matt was professional and extremely friendly. What happened was I was Mr.mom today and had my 21month old with me. She had a meltdown while I was swinging and if you were in the store today you heard her. Another PGASS professional (Sara) came over and talked to her and played with her while I was getting fitted. Both these people went above and beyond to give me an excellent experience. Just wanted to mention cause I will be back after this experience. Great staff!

Back