Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

Hard pondering on this bad boy! Had it on the sim the other day hitting 240 yard darts, rolling out to 255. Need to hit it outdoors at my demo day 5/20, but me likey!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Those are my yardages for the last 5 tee shots I had that I used the 816 3wood. I started keeping track once I noticed more yardage off the tee with the 3 wood than with the driver during my last round. It's insane how good this line of fairway woods are.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

I'm having a major disconnect with my 816 3 wood between the range and the course. On the range I'm a beast and on the course I hit lots of thin draws (yeah I know this is a me problem and not the club).

I'm really thinking about getting a Ping G because they're suppose to be really good if you hit low on the face.

FWIW, I'm so good with my 815 hybrids (they're tipped a half inch) that I'm considering taking a half in off my 3 wood to see if it's a length/swing disconnect thing before going with a new fairway altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a major disconnect with my 816 3 wood between the range and the course. On the range I'm a beast and on the course I hit lots of thin draws (yeah I know this is a me problem and not the club).

I'm really thinking about getting a Ping G because they're suppose to be really good if you hit low on the face.

FWIW, I'm so good with my 815 hybrids (they're tipped a half inch) that I'm considering taking a half in off my 3 wood to see if it's a length/swing disconnect thing before going with a new fairway altogether.

I would try the 16* before moving away from the 816's all together. Thats their most forgiving fairway wood theyve ever made.

Just curious, where do you have the weights in your 3 wood right now?

I've got both a 14 and a 16. I'm playing the heavy weight in the back right now for the forgiveness.

I think I'm going to try shortening it a bit because that did wonders for my hybrids. Something about that shorter length and I feel like I can really go at the ball, whereas with the 3 wood I swing more defensively.

The 16 is back in my bag and I love it. Paired with an LZ70 now...fun.

I absolutely love this 3 wood. I have the 14* set to 16* and it fits my yardage gap perfectly. I love how forgiving it is and the distance I am seeing from the fairway and the tee is awesome. This club will be in my bag for a long long time!

Hard pondering on this bad boy! Had it on the sim the other day hitting 240 yard darts, rolling out to 255. Need to hit it outdoors at my demo day 5/20, but me likey!!

If you hit it and love it, check out my MP listing (all though it's a couple weeks old by now)

I would try the 16* before moving away from the 816's all together. Thats their most forgiving fairway wood theyve ever made.

Just curious, where do you have the weights in your 3 wood right now?
Does the 14* adjust up to 16*? Is making that adjustment different from playing a natural 16*?

Does the 14* adjust up to 16*? Is making that adjustment different from playing a natural 16*?
It does, but the 14* playing at 16* will have a touch more spin than the 16* playing standard

I'm going to leave this here.

816 16*, S/N, paired with PX HC LZ70 6.5, heavy weight back, on my launch monitor yesterday. From the tee. Carry.

1) 256
2) 262
3) 260
4) 261
5) 258
6) 255
7) 254
8) 264

This is why I love this club, those are basically damn near spot on my DRIVER numbers. The XR16 Pro couldn't touch this, though it isn't apples to apples at a 14* head either, so I would like to try the 4w against my BELOVED 816.

Damn that's good.

Damn that's good.

Yeah, it really is for me. Best part is I hit it HIGH, which I need/want. To the point that yesterday on the soggy conditions I think a few of the shots ended up in China LOL

Yeah, it really is for me. Best part is I hit it HIGH, which I need/want. To the point that yesterday on the soggy conditions I think a few of the shots ended up in China LOL
I hit it rather high too and i dont mind it at all. Its actually pretty cool to me to know i can hit it that high and still get the carry i want

I hit it rather high too and i dont mind it at all. Its actually pretty cool to me to know i can hit it that high and still get the carry i want

Yeah, three times on one of my 2 main courses yesterday I went with it because it let me really cut a corner on the hole, its a weapon for me at the distance I hit it.

I'm going to leave this here.

816 16*, S/N, paired with PX HC LZ70 6.5, heavy weight back, on my launch monitor yesterday. From the tee. Carry.

1) 256
2) 262
3) 260
4) 261
5) 258
6) 255
7) 254
8) 264

This is why I love this club, those are basically damn near spot on my DRIVER numbers. The XR16 Pro couldn't touch this, though it isn't apples to apples at a 14* head either, so I would like to try the 4w against my BELOVED 816.

How freaking far are you carrying a driver these days? Back in the Outing days I thought we were somewhat close to one another in distance, now you're in another zip code.

I'd love to test this club out at some point, but having just added an XR Pro 16 degree to the bag that is a hammer from the tee, so that ponder will have to wait a while.

I've been hitting my V Series too high and losing distance and pondering something else (too much spin, I think). This may have pushed me over the edge.

Yeah, three times on one of my 2 main courses yesterday I went with it because it let me really cut a corner on the hole, its a weapon for me at the distance I hit it.
I love it. I cant wait to play in something other than cold and rain and see the total yardage numbers i was seeing in Palm Springs. I have been plugging and spinning back tee shots lol

How freaking far are you carrying a driver these days? Back in the Outing days I thought we were somewhat close to one another in distance, now you're in another zip code.

I'd love to test this club out at some point, but having just added an XR Pro 16 degree to the bag that is a hammer from the tee, so that ponder will have to wait a while.

Hahaha, I'm 260's usually now, really not far off the 816 4w on average though, it really is maximizing my launch/spin/smash.

Oh the Outing, I think I had been playing golf 2 years at that point? Maybe 3. I've come a long way, with a LOT of golf, and a LOT of work. Still not at all where I want to be yet, but, I'll get there.

Hahaha, I'm 260's usually now, really not far off the 816 4w on average though, it really is maximizing my launch/spin/smash.

Oh the Outing, I think I had been playing golf 2 years at that point? Maybe 3. I've come a long way, with a LOT of golf, and a LOT of work. Still not at all where I want to be yet, but, I'll get there.

I had no idea you had only been playing a couple of years at that point. I thought you played when you were a kid based on how you swung. Fun to see your game evolve...I'm trying to get to that point, been stuck in neutral for a couple of years. Anyways, end threadjack.

Back on topic: whenever this one hits Callaway PreOwned, the ponder will start again.

I had no idea you had only been playing a couple of years at that point. I thought you played when you were a kid based on how you swung. Fun to see your game evolve...I'm trying to get to that point, been stuck in neutral for a couple of years. Anyways, end threadjack.

Back on topic: whenever this one hits Callaway PreOwned, the ponder will start again.

I think you'd enjoy it Ary, what makes it stand out the most is the freaking MOI, particularly of the 4w. Its absurd how well the ball stays in play with it. I think the 816 moniker scares some off, I know it did me, even with Dean yelling at me to listen to him the whole way lol

I love it. I cant wait to play in something other than cold and rain and see the total yardage numbers i was seeing in Palm Springs. I have been plugging and spinning back tee shots lol

ball go far is what happens haha. I wish I could swing picking these up, because they are just monsters. The XR16 pro will do for now, but the itch for these will always be there.

Well, I'll soon be joining the rest of you, as I was fortunate to swing a deal with CCA_Beat for one of these 3W's. I've always played somewhat smaller profile clubs (G20, Big Bertha V Series)...not sure how playing a slightly bigger head will work out. I hope this one works well with my swing and unseats the V Series I'm currently gaming.

Hey buddy... Looking forward to playing golf with you tomorrow. Keep doing what your doing! Your a bomber!

Y'all make me want to fix my swing issues on course. I still get the same results on the range and then can't take it too the course. I can't bring myself to cut the shaft even though I think it'd do wonders the way switching to a half inch short hybrid did.

Back