Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

I’m slowing down...creaky back. The adapters are another story.

The SZ has been the most consistent driver I’ve owned in several years.

Same for me. Even more than the G400 Max.

I’m still very much loving this driver. Nothing but confidence with it on the tee box.

I’m still very much loving this driver. Nothing but confidence with it on the tee box.

I love how even my non-centerface hits still end up in a good spot and surprisingly long. It is a great piece of kit

I love how even my non-centerface hits still end up in a good spot and surprisingly long. It is a great piece of kit

I’m not sure I’ve hit the center of the face yet.

Confidence comes from knowing even the bad shots end up pretty good.

I’m not sure I’ve hit the center of the face yet.

Confidence comes from knowing even the bad shots end up pretty good.

The center of the face can potentially get you in trouble with the group ahead...or so I've been told

Are you guys all playing the EF with the stock length 45.5”? I have the stock stiff
Tensei.
Reason I ask is due to some inconsistencies, I tried choking up and got more centered strikes, higher launch with distance on three holes in a row.
I was hitting low launches more on toe side with pull hooks as my miss. It still is the longest on mishits I have ever used.

Last edited:
Are you guys all playing the EF with the stock length 45.5”? I have the stock stiff
Tensei.
Reason I ask is due to some inconsistencies, I tried choking up and got more centered strikes, higher launch with distance on three holes in a row.
I was hitting low launches more on toe side with pull hooks as my miss. It still is the longest on mishits I have ever used.

I’ve always played at 44.5 as that is what has worked best for me. You might find you hit better with a shorter shaft, others might be better longer.

I’ve always played at 44.5 as that is what has worked best for me. You might find you hit better with a shorter shaft, others might be better longer.
I have tried 44-44.5 and it did not work so well for me. So perhaps 45” is just right. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tensei.
I was playing it at the stock length and then cut it down to 45” and am hitting it more consistent and it feels more comfortable at that length.

Mine is the stock length Evenflow Green 6.0, but my irons are all +1" in length so I don't have an issue with the driver length

I would like to do a shout out to Callaway CS. My buddy who I play with all the time cracked his Epic (the original one) right in the middle of the face. It was about an inch long horizontally. I told him to contact CS and they would probably get him a new one. He said no way. It was over 3 years old. I told him trust me they are the best. And he got this today.

87908bafb43f32f00c636b23721a8e99.jpg

Now every time we play I get to say, “Told you so!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Range session Sunday and I normally don't like to hit driver there only because I can never get the tee height to be exactly what I want and always get scared to add a sky mark to the club, or hit mat first with a weird angle and break the club. Silly stuff but it gets me mentally.

This time I found a spot where the square part of the mat I stand on was like .5 inch higher than the rectangular sections you use to hit the ball from. I was still able to use the square mat for wedges, irons, hybrids, and FWs but thought maybe this would help since the tee was a hair higher than I wanted when I put the club down, but I am a little above the ball it could help offset it. Had a couple that got away from me leaking right, and some balls were just junk with super weird flights that I can't even use wind as the excuse. But I really just had a great swing day overall with the driver and was consistently making good contact and getting yardages I would be happy with. Contact area was a lot of times covering 50% of the sweet spot, and I left feeling very happy with it. Guess I need to stomp down where I tee the ball up .5 inch on each teebox before before my turn. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So the same thing has happened to me as my friend. Noticed today on hole #2 my driver face is cracked. Will send it in for a replacement. I have had the driver for less than a year but have played probably close to 200 rounds with it. My swing speed is around 100-105ish. Depending on swing. I wonder if face cracking is common due to how thin the faces are now.

I was able to get a replacement head for my cracked one from my club pro( he got a new Maverick and had an extra SZ head) I must have cracked the head a while ago. Because I am absolutely crushing my drives now. I probably lost 30-40 yards due to the crack. I though it was all swing related but apparently not.

Still really happy with the feel, sound and performance of my EF driver. Been playing it with Helium 5F4 for a couple months now and really enjoy the combo. I may try an Elements Gold proto soon for the heck of it.

Tried new line but by far best feeling and sounding imo not leaving the bag anytime soon. Epic Flash Sub Zero.

I know the next product line is the popular sexy item but I’m still extremely happy with my Flash SZ.

4/9 using driver last Sunday with Pretty much a one way miss to the right. Of the non FIRs, 3 were right, 1 went through the dogleg right b/c I mashed it straight and played for the fade, while the other was a beautiful draw but I played it left edge expecting it to fade on a dogleg left hole. Overall I was pleased for first time out and as long as I don’t get lazy and make sure to keep a powerful swing, the xstiff shaft works so well for me.

Tempted to up the loft to close the face but my misses weren’t that far right so I might just focus on turning my hands over better which is a typical issue of mine.

I had multiple drives over 270 yesterday, as measured by GPS. Lesser drives were in the 250 range. Clearly firm fairways and slope played a big role in this but still...my 95mph SS is very happy with these results.

No club can save a bad swing, but I am more than happy with the performance of this driver still

In the last week, my swing has started to come back round, and I have lowered the loft from 9* down to 8* and had a few drives in the 270yd region, which were actually slightly uphill as well, so I don't know how far they would have gone had it been flat

There is certainly no rush to replace this driver, and I haven't even hit anything newer since it went in the bag

Found an opportunity to play yesterday evening which brought great driver success. I always clean the clubs the night before, and notice the settings were S/D. I decided to change to +1/D hoping the closed face might help with eliminating the slice and keeping it to a fade.

Course is tight so I only used driver on 6 holes but managed to reach the fairway 4 out of 7 swings. That’s sort of misleading because the first hole I hooked one OB but reloaded and bombed it center of the fairway. Nice confidence boost that I think helped rest of the round. Other missed fairways were only off a few yards.

I continue to tell myself that when I really put all my effort into the swing and “swing hard”, it rewards me. Keeping this setting for next time!

I have been struggling with driver as of late. I pulled my Epic Flash that I acquired last year through THP and threw it in the bag over the weekend. I had one of my best driving rounds of the year. It is a head that flat out works for my swing. I have to ask why it is such an allure to try something new. This head definitely gives me a better combination of distance and dispersion than the Mavrik release.

Found an opportunity to get a round in yesterday afternoon and took advantage of it. Didn't practice beforehand so I knew first few holes would be tough and the first time with the driver showed that. But once my body got loose, it was enjoyable with the club, as usual. 1/3 off the tee, which to some is bad but I was content with it. Lone FIR with it was on 17 cutting the corner beautifully on a downhill par 5, leaving 175 to a front pin. Rarely ever hit a good shot on that hole, so was excited to walk away with a 2 putt birdie. Other 2 shots were pushes but not slices so I need to work on following through more and I think next time out will produce better results off the tee.

Back