Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Winner winner THP dinner.

8d076b23e27fcfb86efae1dd47e55dd6.png

Sparty On!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should the shaft adapter be included for head weight measurements or not? I've always wondered.

First round with a very minor warm-up and couldn't be happier with my decision to obtain the Flash sub zero driver....and standard flash 3wd too....beast off the tee...

The driver is 9* lofted up one degree.....sound/feel was amazing especially with the ERC SOFT golf ball(another thread) tough to judge overall distance as I was on a not too frequent course and very high winds....sorry brethren in the north for complaining......misses ,especially being a SZ, still truly playable including what appeared to be a wind riding hook that ended up in the right rough instead of the water.....only had a few comparison swings vs previously played jpx900 (accurate but spinny) and swear I was seeing 15+ yds.....

My reasoning for going sub is primarily the address position appeal..... I don't swing hard enough to get into too much trouble but have the tendency to be low launch/ high spin guy even with a +AOA....weird....

Never tried the previous SZ iterations (epic,rogue) especially hearing the fade bias-ness.....this club is very neutral even with flatter lie angle.....

Playing tomorrow on a more familiar track so I'll be able to get a better judge of distances.

First round with a very minor warm-up and couldn't be happier with my decision to obtain the Flash sub zero driver....and standard flash 3wd too....beast off the tee...

The driver is 9* lofted up one degree.....sound/feel was amazing especially with the ERC SOFT golf ball(another thread) tough to judge overall distance as I was on a not too frequent course and very high winds....sorry brethren in the north for complaining......misses ,especially being a SZ, still truly playable including what appeared to be a wind riding hook that ended up in the right rough instead of the water.....only had a few comparison swings vs previously played jpx900 (accurate but spinny) and swear I was seeing 15+ yds.....

My reasoning for going sub is primarily the address position appeal..... I don't swing hard enough to get into too much trouble but have the tendency to be low launch/ high spin guy even with a +AOA....weird....

Never tried the previous SZ iterations (epic,rogue) especially hearing the fade bias-ness.....this club is very neutral even with flatter lie angle.....

Playing tomorrow on a more familiar track so I'll be able to get a better judge of distances.

If M3 low spin monster and JPX900 reliability had a baby, it would be a CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SUB ZERO DRIVER!

Got your attention? You might ask why would THOSE be the drivers used in comparison.....well for this old lefty chop, the 2 aforementioned drivers gave me the most confidence, satisfaction and overall performance.... UNTIL NOW.....

M3 succeeded the 900 a year ago roughly with raw ,unabashed distance.....with roll , I saw some near 300yd'ers...... as Crossfield would say; KNUCKLEBALL!

But strangely , well scientifically the M3 takes a lot to get that performance day in and day out....trying countless shafts, I yearned to see that bomb dropping distance but what actually happened was over swung flares and toe hooks.....jpx900 was the anti-M3....the chicken soup for the soul driver.....soothing , relaxing, reliable......yeah well that got old quickly......I did say the 2019 crop wouldn't draw me in and the reviews weren't that impressive on YouTube.....small gains for 500? Nah, I'll grind it out.

After another round of feeling REALLY short off the tee, I dragged my butt to PGA TOUR SUPERSTORE and decided to make the swings.....not expecting ANYTHING to shake out.....M5, TS3, ST190, F9 n EFSZ.

M5 just had no spin, TS3 was decent but didn't like the shaft selection, ST190 spun.....so now we F9 and Flash....F9 was centered all day while FSZ was not but kept up even passing F9.....came back the following day strictly to hit both again but this time FLASH SUB ZERO would get the Evenflow green 5.5 ......respectable member here(PHIL75070) raved about it with similar speed #'s.

So back in the sim, F9 is just piping every drive....atomos tour spec 6 regular......make slight adjustment to optifit sleeve and now FSZ is not only middle of the club face but 10yds over F9.....

Local Edwin watts is giving 50% bonus on trades......I walk-in with a bouquet of clubs and walk out with new driver , sleeve of chrome soft flash edition AND a second headcover! I asked if the limited edition black/white was still available so my guy threw it in.....
Being lefty meant that they wouldn't have 3wd in regular flex BUT Dick's had one in stock!

1st round story above;
2nd round things got better....playing my "home" course I shot one over 73 with 12 fairways and 15 greens.....yep couldn't make a damn thing.....but the driver was in places the jpx900 only wished.....

M3 distance with control and reliability of a spinny jpx900 driver.....15-30 yds over jpx900 which equates to same as M3 but much more control....

Oh I'm in a 9* head lofted up....don't find it difficult to turn but I'm a natural cutter....M3 wouldn't even dream of turning....jpx900 easy to shape.....

More to come

And the 3wd? Good LAWD! Rocket off the tee.....but that's another thread!

Last edited:
Don't think I posted thoughts before, but as someone who has played the last 2 sub zero models (epic, then Rogue) I just got fit into the Flash SZ. It was the 2nd to last driver I hit and despite not being the fastest swing speed (I was over 100 swings in the fitting before we got to the flash SZ) I got the most consistent distance and dispersion with this club.

For my swing it is the best of all worlds. Forgiving, lower spinning but now with the ability to add some draw bias (both with the weight and the hosel setting) got me on line. Also, it was the driver that I found the center of the face with most often.

Don't think I posted thoughts before, but as someone who has played the last 2 sub zero models (epic, then Rogue) I just got fit into the Flash SZ. It was the 2nd to last driver I hit and despite not being the fastest swing speed (I was over 100 swings in the fitting before we got to the flash SZ) I got the most consistent distance and dispersion with this club.

For my swing it is the best of all worlds. Forgiving, lower spinning but now with the ability to add some draw bias (both with the weight and the hosel setting) got me on line. Also, it was the driver that I found the center of the face with most often.

I know you've posted a ton about your experience but I probably missed your thoughts on the sound.

Care to dive in with that?

People got vocal about a couple of things with this driver and those things seemed to become internet truths (and they are true for some). It's cool seeing people put this driver in their hands and see what it does for them...many find the combo of distance and forgiveness is a winner.

I know you've posted a ton about your experience but I probably missed your thoughts on the sound.

Care to dive in with that?

Hmm.... didn't really stand out to me, but I found it to be very inline with the most recent callaway drivers. more similar to rogue than Epic, but pleasing to me. During my fitting I enjoyed the sound of the Mizuno the most, the M6 the least. Hopefully Callaway Customs is faster than they list and I can tell you more soon.

Hmm.... didn't really stand out to me, but I found it to be very inline with the most recent callaway drivers. more similar to rogue than Epic, but pleasing to me. During my fitting I enjoyed the sound of the Mizuno the most, the M6 the least. Hopefully Callaway Customs is faster than they list and I can tell you more soon.

That's where I was as well. You can hear Phil activate the hell out of his Rogue when he hits it on tour right now, and it surprisingly wasn't a conversation considering how muted Epic was.

That's where I was as well. You can hear Phil activate the hell out of his Rogue when he hits it on tour right now, and it surprisingly wasn't a conversation considering how muted Epic was.

My last Callaway driver was the razr fit so I've missed quite a few drivers....I've played with guys to hear tones and initially put off by what was deemed a "tinny high pitch" sound for the FSZ.... not sure if Callaway corrected this in house or not but Tuesday was my 1st time hitting one and now owning mine , it just sounds powerful and explosive WITHOUT being ear splitting or annoying.....actually my final two were FSZ and F9 ....F9 came off pillowy to me.....I'm only low 90s speed so not sure if that makes a difference.

Should the shaft adapter be included for head weight measurements or not? I've always wondered.

this was touched on in the G410 thread...

the standard is: there is no standard

personally I think it should be included because a specific adaptor is required to use the head

Little Saturday Morning build.
Down to 44.5 and brought swing weight back up.

e232ba7de56d97b9fc5be00a6f951f3c.jpg

19cf441380fa285b7b056cd4a2236d1c.jpg

772ca23ce8c25a98871afed6b65461cd.jpg

10294f3475cf10173b2c17bd7c9c922a.jpg

I always thought I preferred the more muted sound you get with a carbon driver but I remember giggling at how much I liked the feel and sound of a pured drive in December. When you connect it was such a powerful feeling and sound to me.

I like this set up a lot, having hit OITW's driver at 44.5" well - love the Tensei w/ this head as well.

What did you do to bring the swing weight back up?

Back