73c8987a8ce9932050efbcb48bf6e7b2.jpg

e88cb11f78e27937ab136c7527c02d79.jpg

97ce3c8a38a9b38e8b515a84cad64aef.jpg

655c3d138d1de42164e6e637dde2e73b.jpg

50845163712286f5d454a80135fdfcff.jpg

8000c1f3b97eb9eeda73b8e33a6e6a8d.jpg

f1a9f9eb4ecc781351be4be4cc1e2e91.jpg

cf503177fd11c9a1cc5a0d2142098680.jpg

Apex 19 5/6 vs Epic Forged 5/6, who ya got?

Jman;n8891100 said:

Epic Forged by 12 yards.

tomcat;n8891112 said:
Epic Forged by 12 yards.

I don’t know what I’d do with a 206 yard 6i Hahahaha

I say the Epic forged will be 15 yards longer. My only caveat is that you will have two wildly different shafts.

Tenputt;n8891138 said:
I say the Epic forged will be 15 yards longer. My only caveat is that you will have two wildly different shafts.

Initially I will. :alien:

badolds;n8890844 said:
I got to hit these today and I was blown away how LONG these irons are. My Ben Hogan PTx seven iron is relatively weak lofted at 35 degrees and I carry it 160 and total about 170-175. I walked in cold and after three partial swings I let it fly. I had read some reviews and knew they were going to be long but I could not believe the numbers that flashed up on the screen. I am not good at interpretation of the numbers so I will let them speak for themselves.

These shots were all hit with a Epic Forged seven iron with an Elevate 120 stiff shaft.

So much tech packed into an attractive compact package.

I did not have my best swing today so there was were some left and some right but they were all LONG!! My ballstriking is never very good in a dark enclosed bay so I can say that these are indeed forgiving and easy to hit. I started with the Elevate 95 stiff and was pulling everything left. I switched to the stock Steelfiber shaft and saw a drop in distance although it straightened out. I switched to the Elevate 120 stiff and that was the best of the three.

For those who say that this is not a seven iron its a five iron with a 7 on the bottom I can understand that point of view. The thing that stood out for me is that this felt as easy to hit as my own seven iron. The thought of effortless 200 yard shots into the green sounds a lot better than how I feel standing over my 5 iron at address. I am worried about the low spin numbers and low launch so I hope to hear from some of you who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Bottom line, forget the price and go hit a 200 yard seven iron. Its too much fun to miss!!

Was the elevate tour shaft stock length for epic forged or stock length for apex?

McLovin;n8600700 said:
no, no it’s not. the peak height and angle of descent match the iron number more than the loft. there is so much information out there to inform consumers about why the clubs are engineered like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm the last guy who should be disagreeing with you, because I bought a set of Rogue X irons this June, and my hcp dropped into high single digits (down 4 strokes) due to both them and the matching hybrids.
They were game changers for me, but if you go in on a set these super strong irons, you have to grit your teeth, and go all in.
Forget the #'s on the club, they mean nothing. You're suddenly hitting every iron, and with the Rogue X hybrids, every hybrid at least one club longer. You need to adjust your wedge setup to account for the huge, and I mean huge gap from the A (46*) to what for me was a 54* then a 58* I decided to go 52 and 56 instead, and do away with a LW. It was a tough call, but I'd rather open up the 56 when necessary since I mainly use it from bunkers or mini flops. I'm getting away with it, but it's not optimal, I may end up ditching the 3w or 3H for a 60*
At the top of my bag, the gap between my 3 wood and old hybrid was perfect. With the x 3H, it narrowed considerably, but for me that was a good thing. I hate hitting a 3W off the deck, and love hybrids. The 20* 4H is great, my one mistake was getting the 5H(23). I found the 6i almost went the same distance, that's how juiced the irons are. I bought the matching 5i, and the gap is better.
Long story short? This type of set isn't for everyone. They're all about hitting the ball further. For someone like me, the switch from JPX 850 forged irons to the Rogue X was necessary. I'm in my mid 60's, wasn't getting what I should from a "players" iron. I took a chance and went in a completely different direction. Graphite shafts are great, the bigger clubhead doesn't bother me, the forgiveness and distance are wonderful.
The numbering of the clubs is a joke though. The tech isn't making me hit each club 12+ yards further, the loft is. There is no way my new 5i, or 41* PW is coming in at the same angle as my old ones did. There are plenty of sets as forgiving, very few are lofted as strongly. To get something (distance) you give up something.

Last edited:
Alez367;n8891151 said:
Was the elevate tour shaft stock length for epic forged or stock length for apex?

I am unsure what the shaft length was. The fitting cart was for all of the irons not just the Epic Forged. I was too engaged hitting monstrous iron shots for small details ha.

got a shipping notice that they are moving, might be in hand by the end of the week in time for Dorian to arrive.

SC LEFTY;n8891208 said:
I'm the last guy who should be disagreeing with you, because I bought a set of Rogue X irons this June, and my hcp dropped into high single digits (down 4 strokes) due to both them and the matching hybrids.
They were game changers for me, but if you go in on a set these super strong irons, you have to grit your teeth, and go all in.
Forget the #'s on the club, they mean nothing. You're suddenly hitting every iron, and with the Rogue X hybrids, every hybrid at least one club longer. You need to adjust your wedge setup to account for the huge, and I mean huge gap from the A (46*) to what for me was a 54* then a 58* I decided to go 52 and 56 instead, and do away with a LW. It was a tough call, but I'd rather open up the 56 when necessary since I mainly use it from bunkers or mini flops. I'm getting away with it, but it's not optimal, I may end up ditching the 3w or 3H for a 60*
At the top of my bag, the gap between my 3 wood and old hybrid was perfect. With the x 3H, it narrowed considerably, but for me that was a good thing. I hate hitting a 3W off the deck, and love hybrids. The 20* 4H is great, my one mistake was getting the 5H(23). I found the 6i almost went the same distance, that's how juiced the irons are. I bought the matching 5i, and the gap is better.
Long story short? This type of set isn't for everyone. They're all about hitting the ball further. For someone like me, the switch from JPX 850 forged irons to the Rogue X was necessary. I'm in my mid 60's, wasn't getting what I should from a "players" iron. I took a chance and went in a completely different direction. Graphite shafts are great, the bigger clubhead doesn't bother me, the forgiveness and distance are wonderful.
The numbering of the clubs is a joke though. The tech isn't making me hit each club 12+ yards further, the loft is. There is no way my new 5i, or 41* PW is coming in at the same angle as my old ones did. There are plenty of sets as forgiving, very few are lofted as strongly. To get something (distance) you give up something.

If the tech isn’t doing anything to add distance, then take those old irons and have them bent equally as strong and see what happens, it won’t be as playable or as long still.

We have discussed it 1,000,000 times here on THP and with some of the most brilliant minds in club design too, loft doesn’t matter when putting a number on the club, it’s launch window they dictate what number goes on it by. It’s honest to goodness not as simple as just bending an iron strong, I promise.

I'm going to say you pick up 8 yards with these over your Apex. I'm looking forward to seeing what your spin numbers are and if you're able to hold greens with these James. I have a feeling these would be a really fun set to have in the bag.

Jman in the 5th picture on your post, is that a nick in the iron already? :angry: Are these that soft they got knicked in transport?

SC LEFTY;n8891208 said:

why couldn't you drop 4 strokes with your last set? what was it about the rogue x that was better for you? higher launch? more forgiveness?

when people continue to loft peep, i would be curious if they've ever hit their own 5i against a "loft jacked" 7i, and report back whether there is any improvement in ball speed retention on mishits, and dispersion. i've never done it, but i am inclined to believe yes, the numbers will be better with the 7i for the right type of player. if i'm correct, it's proof that it is not just about loft; improved forgiveness and tighter dispersion with more distance is what like 99% of us want.

Jman;n8891100 said:

I expect the Forged to be quite a bit longer based on initial information.

Jman;n8891117 said:

you'd hit it 206 like a f'ing boss!!!

Jman;n8891117 said:

I am assuming you are talking carry distance and I will bet you carry that six iron farther than 206. I was hitting the demo seven iron 190 on the fly and I know your swing is faster than mine. You are going to have a blast with these and I will have fun reading your review.

KEV;n8891317 said:
I'm going to say you pick up 8 yards with these over your Apex. I'm looking forward to seeing what your spin numbers are and if you're able to hold greens with these James. I have a feeling these would be a really fun set to have in the bag.

I am too, and also to see the descent angle, because I'm predicting silly low spin.

Snickerdog;n8891319 said:
Jman in the 5th picture on your post, is that a nick in the iron already? :angry: Are these that soft they got knicked in transport?

Bottom of the club there the face transitions to sole? Looks like it. They were still packaged and bubble wrapped from Callaway when I received them so it would have had to have happened pre transport. Not a biggie IMO.
mikeg_74;n8891336 said:
I expect the Forged to be quite a bit longer based on initial information.

We shall see.

badolds;n8891395 said:
I am assuming you are talking carry distance and I will bet you carry that six iron farther than 206. I was hitting the demo seven iron 190 on the fly and I know your swing is faster than mine. You are going to have a blast with these and I will have fun reading your review.

Yeah, was talking carry.

The sound/feel is honestly what I'm most apprehensive about.

Jman;n8891404 said:
Yeah, was talking carry.

The sound/feel is honestly what I'm most apprehensive about.

Looking forward to your testing results.
Think you will say it's not a Muira Butter Soft feeling however better that last version
Sound is really good.
Dispersion - Like to see your thoughts on the dispersion.

Might be interesting to see how Z-Star vs. XV or something similar would change distances.

I think the proof is in the pudding, as the old saying goes. If the performance were simply due to loft jacking, then there would be no performance improvement. The player would simply be hitting a 6 or 7 iron, where formerly that same player would pull a 5 iron. However, the player would see no improvement in his/her iron play.

I have no doubt in my mind that these irons make the game easier. I took them out and immediately hit 15 GIR and shot a score that was better than my index. I am not seeing 2 clubs difference, because I was already playing players distance irons and then, this year, the Cobra F9 irons, that are plenty long in their own right. However, I could tell i one round that these are the longest irons I have ever hit. Suddenly, I am hitting a 9 iron 155 yards, but it is still every bit as easy to hit as any other 9 iron I have played. The ball stops with little run out.

If I had a set of these irons, I would probably go AW, which is 46 degrees, and then throw in 52 and 58 degree wedges. The gaps would not be perfect at that end of the bag, because I would rather see 4 or 5 degrees of gapping through the wedges, but it would work for me, no doubt.

Bottom line, I don’t really care what the loft is on the iron. I just care about performance, but nobody can tell me that it’s all trickery and all of the performance comes from strong lofts. It simply is not true.

Last edited:
Jman;n8891100 said:

EF by 16!!! :bomb::bomb::bomb:

will be interested to hear James thoughts on the sound of these EF clubs.

mine are stuck at the border, hope it is just an error and they are rolling to get a round in before the storm ruins the weekend.

shanewu;n8892081 said:
EF by 16!!! :bomb::bomb::bomb:

Haha, daaaaaaayum! 210 yard 6i's would be sort of hilarious.

Stemmy66;n8892088 said:
will be interested to hear James thoughts on the sound of these EF clubs.

I'm pretty curious myself. I did NOT like the sound of the last Epic irons, and Doc Hock and the boys SWEAR that has been addressed, so we shall see I suppose!

Back