Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

This thing is beautiful. The shape is very similar to the Mav Triple D from last year. The face isn't quite as flat though. It's maiden voyage is tomorrow!

1617383287745.png

1617383325756.png1617383335255.png1617383346232.png
1617383359417.png

Where would one order weights for the Epic Max LS?

I ordered a heavier weight for the Speed. Billy Bobs did not have them for Max or LS

The usual comment I hear with Riptide is that it needs a smooth transition and tempo. If you are filled with rage,:oops: then get Hzrdous:ROFLMAO:
Might be why I get performance from the HZRDUS Yellow, and never got on with the EvenFlow series. Haven't tried the Riptide, but had some interest in the CB version.
Club Champion just opened here in Tucson, thinking about going for a fitting.........Currently playing a G400 and i think I might be leaving some yrds out there.

Where would one order weights for the Epic Max LS?
That's why I was asking. I haven't seen them at the usual places yet. Really don't want to tape it, or wait, and if anything I have could use some hot melt it's probably the LS. So I might go that route.

So after 2 range sessions, I can confidently say that for me, that Speed fairways are easier to launch than the Mavrik (standard) was. It really wants to get up quickly and has a higher peak height as well. Granted I'm in a 4 wood in the Speed vs a 3 wood I played in the Mavrik but I don't think the 1.5 degree loft difference totally accounts for the difference I'm seeing.

So after 2 range sessions, I can confidently say that for me, that Speed fairways are easier to launch than the Mavrik (standard) was. It really wants to get up quickly and has a higher peak height as well. Granted I'm in a 4 wood in the Speed vs a 3 wood I played in the Mavrik but I don't think the 1.5 degree loft difference totally accounts for the difference I'm seeing.

Distance seem comparable?

Distance seem comparable?

Tough to say since I haven't used it on the course yet but I would think so. Ballspeed with Mavrik was a hair quicker but again that was less loft. I'll gladly give up the couple yards to get a much better flight.

Tough to say since I haven't used it on the course yet but I would think so. Ballspeed with Mavrik was a hair quicker but again that was less loft. I'll gladly give up the couple yards to get a much better flight.

Just ordered a 4W to mess with. HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0, which I've been playing since they came out. Should be interesting to see how it stacks up!

Just ordered a 4W to mess with. HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0, which I've been playing since they came out. Should be interesting to see how it stacks up!

I think you'll like it. I'm impressed so far.

Second round with the Epic Max Ls and it was good for the most part. I hit a couple bombs with it but more importantly the left side was negated except for one snap hook. I pushed a couple right that ended up in good shape with plenty of distance and I am sure they were not center strikes. Center strikes have a nice powerful crack at impact and off center strikes let you know you were not on the button. I love the straight top line and the custom clean crown option looks great behind the ball. Having the Max style forgiveness combined with a low spinning head that sets up neutral seems to be a good fit so far.

Yeah its on the way. Only lousy part is now having to go back to something I know doesn't work as well for the next bunch of rounds until it gets here. Not cool.
I am struggling on the sim with my max ls, I’m hoping a shaft change is what I need & if not I’m not waiting to long to replace the head

Which shaft do you have in your 4w? Love my Mav Max fairways but I’m spinning them way too much thus far this year.

Which shaft do you have in your 4w? Love my Mav Max fairways but I’m spinning them way too much thus far this year.

I just have the stock Smoke in it. Seems to be a pretty good fit for me. For harder swingers the MMT might be a better option.

Just to provide a bit more info. Was just checking my numbers from Trackman range, and I was launching the Mavrik 3 wood at 13 or so off the deck, and am launching the Speed 4 wood at 16.5. Also the peak height with the Speed 4W is 20 feet higher (90 vs 70).

epic max, you nasty. i have been absolutely loving this driver. something about its shape and weighting are suiting me so well. i think my favorite drive of the day was the par 5 18th. i didn't annihilate it, but hit the exact mid height tight draw that the hole calls for, and left me dead smack in the middle of the fairway. with the mav max, having to hit a draw was kinda scary, because the tendency to hook was always there. maybe it's the apw in the epic max, or maybe the stock im10 is kicking in just the right way, or maybe my swing and grip changes are helping. whatever it is, i'm smitten with my epic max.

I got fit into a Epic Max however I did not sell my Flash. I just hit so well that I just couldn't give it up.
Plus I have found that what your fit for in a bay and real world performance (On the Course) can sometimes be different.

View attachment 9001060
Thats a great way to look at it!!!

Standard Mavrik 10.5* was the best driver I’ve played in some time. Did not really get along with the Mav Max. I think the Epic Max is the one for this season. I am just getting going here in NJ—been a long winter. Got out for 9 holes this evening, and several of my shafts work very nicely in the Epic Max. Just need to start narrowing it down. But very happy, and very confident, with the Epic Max so far.
Epic Max has been a sleeper hit for us this far. Personally, I think the extra adjustability in a HIGH MOI head has been a magic combo.

Good write-up. No real magic in these new Epics, just as no real magic in the new Titleists, Pings, etc. Epic Flash was a good one--I primarily moved into the Mavrik for sound and feel.

In regards to not trying the Epic Max due to left issues, I just want to point out that I do not find the Max to be draw biased. If anything, my first couple of rounds last weekend in my young NJ season, I found it to be a bit fade biased. As I often do anyway, I dropped down to regular flex shafts in my primary shafts, Rogue White 60, Tensei Blue 65 and GD G 60 to turn the ball over more.

I honestly found my standard Mavrik from last season to be more draw biased than the Epic Max. Generally speaking, play standard loft or drop down a degree to open the face, move the sliding weight as far from the heel as possible, and there should really be no big fear of pulls or hooks with the right shaft.

Just my .02 cents.
Epic Max is draw-biased to a point for sure but as you said probably not as much as previous models. I think they really nailed the shape and top line to give the player a square look all while making it easier for players to sling it right to left. Mav Max to me looked draw biased, E Max doesn't if that makes sense.

Back