Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I looked at my ShotScope driver distances from last year to this year and with the Epic Max in play, my total distance is up.
I'm about 5-7 yards longer than I was at this time last year. Of course last year, I got started later and weather always plays into course conditions however I'm encouraged at my findings. Should only get better as Spring turns into Summer.

Got 9 in last night after work. Course is closed no carts going out but on Mondays when there are no Tournaments we can go out and walk. Weather was beautiful last night, course in great shape so I figured I would get a little exercise in and play. Almost nobody there which surprised me so I was able to hit multiple drives off the tee because I am getting used to the Ventus Blue in the Epic Max LS. Third time using it and I really like it and everything about it. I don't know the best words to describe this shaft besides smooth and powerful but at least for me in this head it is a great match.

Got 9 in last night after work. Course is closed no carts going out but on Mondays when there are no Tournaments we can go out and walk. Weather was beautiful last night, course in great shape so I figured I would get a little exercise in and play. Almost nobody there which surprised me so I was able to hit multiple drives off the tee because I am getting used to the Ventus Blue in the Epic Max LS. Third time using it and I really like it and everything about it. I don't know the best words to describe this shaft besides smooth and powerful but at least for me in this head it is a great match.
That shaft just makes clubs come alive.

The stability of this shaft is very nice, and it doesn't feel too stiff, which has been an issue for me with extra stiff shafts in the past.

I have seen multiple comments that the Max LS is relatively forgiving. If I am coming from a TM M3 should I expect it to be more forgiving?

I had one of my worst driving days in months with the LS as far as striking the ball on Saturday during my match play bracket play. Still was able to hit 3 of 7 fairways that I used the driver ( lots of 4 irons and 4 woods off the tee on the short course ) and 2 others were just off the fairway. No doubt the head design helped keep things from going way way off course.

Going to experiment a little with the shaft on my Std Speed. I've got a Smoke RDX Blue that will play at 45.5" and a Ventus Red 5S that will play at 44.5". These will go against my current gamer Ventus Blue 6S that plays at 45.25". When the VB is on, IT'S ON. Some of the best driving I've had ever. The problem is when I'm a little off, tired, hung over, etc. My miss is a block right that doesn't go very far. Hoping to be able to load the RDX Blue a bit better at my 100-105 mph SS. Will report back the findings.

I really need practice to get my swing dialed in, but I can tell the Max LS is a good fit for me. Like all my clubs, the problem is really just with my consistency, and I feel like actual practice would help get me there sooner.

I need to spend more time working on my driver. Last night i had a few really good swings with the Epic Speed and a few really bad swings

I have joined the 7w club. Got my Epic Speed 7w yesterday and look forward to seeing if it will fit the space between my 4 XF UT and the 4w Epic Speed. I have tinkered with hybrids and most recently a XF UT with graphite shaft. This is one spot I have never been comfortable with. 7w gets a crack this weekend.

I need to spend more time working on my driver. Last night i had a few really good swings with the Epic Speed and a few really bad swings
Our range just opened and we have unlimited use of it. Love the Epic Max LS and I love the Ventus Blue 5S shaft I just got. As @Snickerdog said "That shaft just makes clubs come alive". Ive got the equipment its on me now. I Want to get out to the range with some impact tape on the face and really work on it. Also picked up a Downunder Board that I've only been able to take practice swings with and no real golf balls anxious to see how that works out because sometimes when I really go after it I get happy feet and the Max LS is definitely a club you can go after.
The Epic Max LS and Apex 21 irons are great. Now its up to me to put the work in and really take advantage of what they can do. I get a taste of it on really good strikes. I want to groove that swing and really get that driver going.

Pummeled the Speed this morning. Missed 1 fairway on the day. Seeing what this thing can do with warmer temperatures is fun. Once the fairways firm up here, going to be some bombs.

I went back and looked at the round last night and the 3 good hits of mine were above my average by quite a bit. I just need more consistency in my driver swing

Thanks for the great write-up. I just got an Epic Flash Star driver and added between 20-40 yds! Kudos to their engineers and designers.

13/14 FIR tonight. Nice little 3-5 yards draws. Seems harder to hit a fade with the Speed but it can be done.

Going to experiment a little with the shaft on my Std Speed. I've got a Smoke RDX Blue that will play at 45.5" and a Ventus Red 5S that will play at 44.5". These will go against my current gamer Ventus Blue 6S that plays at 45.25". When the VB is on, IT'S ON. Some of the best driving I've had ever. The problem is when I'm a little off, tired, hung over, etc. My miss is a block right that doesn't go very far. Hoping to be able to load the RDX Blue a bit better at my 100-105 mph SS. Will report back the findings.
Ventus Blue 6S is my gamer as well. I'm interested to see how the RDX Blue works for you. That's a shaft I've been really wanting to give a go myself in the Speed

What the primary miss?
Lately it's low and towards the toe. One of them was close to missing the face altogether. When I catch it the results are really good. I just need to swing more confidently with driver and trust it

OK I think I got my swing straightened (haha) out. In league on Wednesday there was no right miss for me. Which is great, except when you're expecting to cut it and that doesn't happen. A little more tweaking with the weight should get me back on track.

still absolutely loving the epic max in stock setup. swing has left me a little, but with some passable moves on the ball i see high, straight and long enough. i’m not convinced this is the longest driver on the market, but i need the forgiveness and right now i’m not interested in chasing anything else. this epic max is just too good. also clean crown ftmfw

I carried both drivers for my last 3 rounds (Speed and TSi3), and it's so interesting having them both out there and utilizing them in different ways. They're both so good on their own ways, and it's been a real benefit having them both with me in important rounds.

So I said way back when I first got it that mine seems faster towards the toe. Like the sweet spot is toe side of center. That's no longer a 'seem'. It is. I'm 99.999% sure of it. There is zero variation in the results that support it. So if anyone lives just a little bit toe side and wants a custom Speed 9 in the future, this is the head for you. I find it slightly annoying that I put a fantastic strike on it, and get more out of a mishit, but it might be exaggerated by my specific swing dynamics.

Still really like it though. Not hating. It's a real weapon for me into the wind and I think it will be on firmer fairways if it ever stops dumping rain here. Definitely flirts with the low spin line for me, and it's a tad harder to move right than my TSi3, which is why it's 1a instead of #1 for me.

Love my current setup with it too. Let a few people hit it today, and the general reaction was 'that thing's a hammer'. I like to hit a heavy ball, so (y).

After almost a 6 week layoff due to lockdown up here, we are finally able to play golf starting tomorrow and will be hitting the links just after 7 AM. Looking forward to getting my twice played Max LS out on the links. Jimmy’s a Happy Camper!

After almost a 6 week layoff due to lockdown up here, we are finally able to play golf starting tomorrow and will be hitting the links just after 7 AM. Looking forward to getting my twice played Max LS out on the links. Jimmy’s a Happy Camper!

Back