Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Swing Speed Radar typically generates a higher swing speed than reality - it catches the toe, which is moving faster (what I've been told). You are probably still over 100 but not by too much.

As an aside, I was practicing with speed sticks and it stated 103:) - and if it was really 98, I'd be a happy guy ... happier if it was 103 but I need to stay in reality.;)
I was trying to figure out what Smash factor and swing speed it would take to clear a 275 yard fence. But couldn't come up with the formula.

I was trying to figure out what Smash factor and swing speed it would take to clear a 275 yard fence. But couldn't come up with the formula.
What was the temperature? Any wind behind you? Any elevation change? How good were the range balls?

What was the temperature? Any wind behind you? Any elevation change? How good were the range balls?

Upper 60's, light following crosswind, flat range, mixture of range balls and mixture of regular balls they take out the ponds twice a year.
Don't recall what ball I hit.

Bigly

I have been playing Epic Speed for about a month. Really enjoy the sound and solid feel. I tried the Epic Max yesterday and did not like the sound and feel nearly as much. Also about 5-10 yards longer with Speed. Forgiveness better for me with Speed than Max.

Tried a Ventus Red 5S in my std Epic Speed at the PGA superstore range yesterday evening to see what it would do against my V Blue 6S. Hit about 20 shots and started to hear a weird noise at impact. Saw that the ferrule had slipped a little and thought it was epoxy that had loosened up. Reached down to see if I could twist it, then this happened. :cry:

Attachments

• 2F84B533-DFD4-41DA-816A-935344ED2F11.jpeg
    2F84B533-DFD4-41DA-816A-935344ED2F11.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 31
It all depends upon your launch and spin conditions, which of course factor into determining a smash factor. I did some quick comparisons to numbers I have seen with my own swing. There also is a newly released video from TXG on the topic of how fast do you have to swing to drive the ball 300 yards. Extrapolating all of this, I think to clear a 275 yard fence, no wind behind you, you would have to have club speed of 107 or more and a smash factor of 1.45 or above. Those are very loose estimates.

It all depends upon your launch and spin conditions, which of course factor into determining a smash factor. I did some quick comparisons to numbers I have seen with my own swing. There also is a newly released video from TXG on the topic of how fast do you have to swing to drive the ball 300 yards. Extrapolating all of this, I think to clear a 275 yard fence, no wind behind you, you would have to have club speed of 107 or more and a smash factor of 1.45 or above. Those are very loose estimates.
I watched that on my way to the course. Really spoke to what I've tried to achieve the last couple years. All my SZ tinkering last year, and this year with the Speed and LS, is to maximize end result relative to speed. I outdrive guys much faster than me because of this obsession we all suffer from, all the time. It doesn't take as much speed to get 300y as a lot of people think.

Last edited:
I watched that on my way to the course. Really spoke to what I've tried to achieve the last couple years. All my SZ tinkering last year, and this year with the Speed and LS, is to maximize end result relative to speed. I outdrive guys much faster than me because of this obsession we all suffer from, all the time. It doesn't take as much speed to get 300y as a lot of people think.
You are quite a bit longer than I am. I don’t think that 300 yards is regularly in my wheelhouse at near sea level. Of course, if we got to play with the rollout we see on Tour, it is different, LOL. I have had one tee shot this year with a 3 wood that was over 300 yards and I am normally seeing a couple of drives every round that are over 300, but that is at 4000 feet elevation. Those drives at sea level are probably going 275. The thing that freaks me out is watching something like the TXG video, where Matty Boy looks like he is bunting it and he gets it out 300 and I feel like I am swinging about as hard as I can.

All of that non-relevant commentary aside, my chase at my own level, is the same as yours. I am trying to optimize launch and spin for my ball speed. It is why I am willing to try the Speed TD, LS, even though I have some great drivers. I often outdrive guys who definitely have more speed, but their launch and spin are not very efficient.

Last edited:
Just came in to say "HI" .......great information over the past week.......playing tomorrow as I've picked up p/t work at Edwin Watts (so much for retirement) and it's affecting my play. I'm pushing Callaway Epic 21 towards folks just because it has something for everyone.....guy returned a G425 max with tensei orange stiff 10.5 and left with a Epic Max 10.5 in 5.0 flex.....had no business in stiff but that's another story! Keep up the great work and hoping some of you can "settle" on a flavor @Tenputt @OldandStiff in particular.......hehe......just kidding

[QUOTE="Tenputt, post: 9931375, member: 42964"

All of that non-relevant commentary aside, my chase at my own level, is the same as yours. I am trying to optimize launch and spin for my ball speed. It is why I am willing to try the Speed TD, LS, even though I have some great drivers. I often outdrive guys who definitely have more speed, but their launch and spin are not very efficient.
[/QUOTE]

Improving launch conditions has been my main focus since getting the Max LS. I was getting good results with either the Linq Purple or the Ventus Blue. But since I switched to the Ventus Red my launch is up to 16.3 according to my Pros, Voice Caddy. I'm certainly hitting it much higher now than I can ever remember, with a peak height of 98 on average.
What's baffling me is why I can have 13 mph increase in my swing only once in 30 swings. All my other swings were only 4 mph apart.

A 300 yd drive would come in handy on Seniors Best ball tournament day when I move up to the Gold tees because I'm over 65:D

Tried a Ventus Red 5S in my std Epic Speed at the PGA superstore range yesterday evening to see what it would do against my V Blue 6S. Hit about 20 shots and started to hear a weird noise at impact. Saw that the ferrule had slipped a little and thought it was epoxy that had loosened up. Reached down to see if I could twist it, then this happened. :cry:

Any idea what happened? Shaft break off in the adapter?

Any idea what happened? Shaft break off in the adapter?
yes, right at below the ferrule. No idea what happened. I had a couple toe strikes and thought maybe the epoxy had slipped. Only ever done this once before in a driver head to HZRDUS yellow HC and they sent me one for cost. I called Fujikura and they weren't even trying to talk to me about a warranty.

Only a so so day driving the ball yesterday. Had a nice downhill into the wind drive of 283 to end the day, but I had a case of the hooks. Duck hooked on my first hole, some lower spin knucklers. I need to get to the range where I can work on my swing a little bit. When I catch it good, it's as good as it gets. Just have to get that swing more consistently.

I've really been struggling with my speed lately on finding the center of the face. I tried a couple heavier weights to get d4 and d5 weights but the head felt like it lost its pop when I did that experiment. Thinking since the weight is so far rearward on the head. I do have a smoke black and rogue white from my mavrik that I'll be testing but the smoke black rdx was king in my fitting and just not translating on course. I love the sound when it's hit right but I'm hitting some crazy fades which I typically don't fight too often. Might have to test out some other combinations but I'm not giving up on it!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I have played 3 rounds now with the 9* max ls (ventus black 7s). Nice forgiveness and has a pleasant sound that leans toward trampoline sproing. Distance and spin (as far as I can tell on course) is similar to my g410 lst, and so far I prefer the max ls just a bit over the ping. I play the g410 lst at 8* and the max ls at 9*. It is a comfortable club to hit. I never feel like I am going to lose it left, and the occasional block miss I have right now has nothing to do with the club. Very nice driver.

For your consideration the Black and Silver Custom Sole Option... All Silver Buttons would also look cool.

View attachment 8998698
I ordered nearly the same one; I didn’t think the lime green would go well with my UST Lin-Q Purple shaft. I have a clean top; the arrow has always thrown me off.
Re: sound, it’s horrible. Driving railroad ties/circa 1995 drivers. I’ve hit mine high, low, toe, heel, and center; still sounds terrible. I waited 4 months for this!?!? B7D0740D-4FA5-4EFC-B8B6-C4B070BFD902.jpeg

I ordered nearly the same one; I didn’t think the lime green would go well with my UST Lin-Q Purple shaft. I have a clean top; the arrow has always thrown me off.
Re: sound, it’s horrible. Driving railroad ties/circa 1995 drivers. I’ve hit mine high, low, toe, heel, and center; still sounds terrible. I waited 4 months for this!?!? View attachment 9007721

Maybe the bombs off the tee will make the sound more acceptable to you. :)

I actually dont mind the sound, but I guess everyone is different. MAX LS + VENTUS Black makes me happy.

Last edited:
Re: sound, it’s horrible. Driving railroad ties/circa 1995 drivers. I’ve hit mine high, low, toe, heel, and center; still sounds terrible. I waited 4 months for this!?!? View attachment 9007721

Very nice look. But for me, the sound is quite acceptable. Not as soft or muted as Speed. It has more of a crack - you might move the weight around - if your miss is toe, go more towards toe ... experiment.

Been struggling to find a 3 wood that I have confidence in and I may have found it. The Epic Speed 13.5* with Hzrdus Smoke IM10 stiff shaft has been in my bag for exactly one round, but I have really enjoyed the 2 swings I made with it. Both tee shots had really nice run out. Have yet to try it off the turf however. Maybe this weekend!

Bringing the Max LS that's all taped up in the morning. Supposed to be cool and calm. Really want to see it in the air without big winds, and see if I can work it as well as at the end of last round.

The Max LS was incredible again yesterday. I have 10 or so rounds with it in the bag and I am getting used to it. While I was getting it dialed in I was impressed with the forgiveness and I still appreciate the help it provides but the bombs from the center of the face are the star of the show. I have grown to like the powerful crack of the LS at impact and the mid launch penetrating baby draws are a thing of beauty headed downrange.

I'm still trying to build trust with my Epic Max 5 wood. It seems very closed at address but when I trust it I have hit some really nice shots. I've got to get out of my head and just swing

Back