Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

sounds like you liked the setup

sounds like you liked the setup

It was decent for me. I switched it out to the PX HZRDUS line when I had the chance and they came out, but I liked it.

I'm finding the GBB to be very forgiving as well. My dispersion is very tight with it set to +2 with the APW a few ticks to the draw side. If I put a bad swing on the ball, then I suffer the consequences, but anything with a good tempo is going pretty darn straight and 220-230 which is great for me.

This right here!! I have been gaming the GBB since around Christmas. And it has taken me until these last few weeks to figure it out. I currently have it set to +2, D, and Draw set all the way. Was getting some decent results from it, with a few crazy OMG that went far, and then the wheels would fall off a bit for a few holes.

Last week I said....eff this, just put a relaxed swing on it, quit trying to kill it, and let the club work for you. Results were amazing, 11 out of 13 FIR on first day, and 10 of 13 on second trip. One massive miss hit in 26 holes, the other 4 shots were in the rough (Arizona rough that is). Had my furthest drive to date with a 260 (again minimal effort....from a guy with a slow swing speed) averaging 220 all day long.

I knew it was an amazing club, just had to figure out that killing it was not working for me.

I love my GBB too! I play two sliding weight all the way to the fade setting. Accuracy has never been better for me. Distance is great too.

Coming from the 815 DD, I expected more forgiveness but what I got was more accuracy without losing any distance even on the best strikes.

I got a GBB head from WCBM and put it in my XR16 shaft. Got out early for league to warm up and hopefully get a lil used to this thing. It did not take long. Dispersion was better and as far as over all length of drives, kid you not I was 30-50+ yrds farther (with roll) than with my XR16 head. Completely happy with this. I do believe forgiveness is good. I shanked one off the toe and when I went to where it should be, it was farther than if I did the same with the XR16.
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Apparently my GBB knows I've been pondering new drivers. Been driving the best I ever have recently, and the forgiveness high on the face with it is still absurd.

Apparently my GBB knows I've been pondering new drivers. Been driving the best I ever have recently, and the forgiveness high on the face with it is still absurd.

so i picked up a GBB head from hickerad and put my shaft in it seems pretty powerful with a definite draw bias compared to my fg tour M3 driver ive gamed the last couple years. i set the weight all the way to fade and seemed to lesson the draw its just weird since i dont normally draw the ball.

After struggling for several rounds hitting fairways with the Mizuno JPX 900, I put the GBB with Matrix Black Reign shaft back in the bag. Have been driving the ball well since it has gone back in the bag. One of the things I like about the GBB is that I know my miss will be left on a bad swing while a bag swing with the Mizuno produced two way misses.

I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but I am absolutely loving this driver right now

With the swing changes I have been making over the course of the last 6-9 months I have so much confidence standing up on the tee with this club in my hand knowing that it is going to be a bullet down the fairway (unless I put a horrible swing on it)

My only issue now is it has actually put me into some trouble over the last couple of weeks - on Saturday I drove through a dogleg in the fairway, then on Sunday I put the ball in a hazard that I have never been able to reach before

On a positive note though, I went driver - 6i to a 490yd par 5 yesterday evening and on another par 5 I left myself with a chance to carry the water at the front of the green to go for that in 2 shots as well

I think I will see this season out with it and then possibly see if there is anything else around that can make me put my hand in my pocket and replace it
I have hit the Rogue but only in a simulator and it was pretty close between them both, so as much as I would like to put a new driver in the bag it might not happen.....

I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but I am absolutely loving this driver right now

With the swing changes I have been making over the course of the last 6-9 months I have so much confidence standing up on the tee with this club in my hand knowing that it is going to be a bullet down the fairway (unless I put a horrible swing on it)

My only issue now is it has actually put me into some trouble over the last couple of weeks - on Saturday I drove through a dogleg in the fairway, then on Sunday I put the ball in a hazard that I have never been able to reach before

On a positive note though, I went driver - 6i to a 490yd par 5 yesterday evening and on another par 5 I left myself with a chance to carry the water at the front of the green to go for that in 2 shots as well

I think I will see this season out with it and then possibly see if there is anything else around that can make me put my hand in my pocket and replace it
I have hit the Rogue but only in a simulator and it was pretty close between them both, so as much as I would like to put a new driver in the bag it might not happen.....

Nice - enjoy it! Such a solid driver. I went back and forth between the GBB and XR16 for a season, basically getting equal results from both. I ended up going with the XR16, but could have gamed either. In the right hands the GBB is seriously as long as anything - you still see guys on tour playing it.

I've been absolutely hammering this driver lately since I put it back in the bag. I think it might just stick around a little while.

I recently purchased this driver, as well as the 3 wood. I love the control, forgiveness and distance I've been getting. I've been experimenting with different shafts to see what works best.

I recently purchased this driver, as well as the 3 wood. I love the control, forgiveness and distance I've been getting. I've been experimenting with different shafts to see what works best.

it's still a really good driver head.

Yes, they are. I've had GBB Hawkeye woods for years and really loved their performance. I got a great deal from Callaway Preowned and decided to upgrade. I'm glad I did. I've even picked up the 4H to replace my 5 wood. The ability to adjust the loft and other characteristics is great, along with swapping out shafts.

ive been gaming mine since Jim Furyk shot his 58. They put this driver on special discount ($58 off) in celebration. I also had a birthday gift card so I jumped on it and spent about $100 out of pocket. I bought the limited edition pearl white head and pearl white shaft.

Its been a solid driver for me. I have hit my longest drive @ 320 yards with it and numerous drives in the 260's. When my swing is on the ball, I can set the loft and weights to a neutral setting and see some awesome distance. When my swing goes awry, I can up the loft and add some draw bias for added forgiveness.

If i am not in the fairway, I am not far off. Unless I really put a bad swing on it lol!

I dont see replacing this driver anytime soon.

To me its still one of the best Callaway drivers ever made. I just bought an Epic and it can't beat the GBB in any way right now. They are basically the same as far as distance and dispersion. I feel the GBB is more forgiving. Still play one every week.

The GBB Driver and 3wd I got back in late 2015 are still in the bag. No overwhelming desire to upgrade or even test anything else at this point.

This is my first season with the Epic and so far I’m really enjoying it. Finally getting my driver swing back the last few rounds, and I’ve hit a few monsters with this one. Had a few drives of 290 and right up the middle yesterday. Good feeling to be doing that this early in the season and on softer fairways.

I keep trying the XR16 head but I always end up putting the GBB head back on the shaft. It just works!

Back