Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Really enjoyed that review JM. Full of every piece of info you would want about this driver.

• Staff
Little technical snafu on the previous thread, so feel free to post up thoughts/questions on the GBB and such in here.

I'll have some more thoughts I want to get out about a couple things here in a bit as well.

Good review. Man, this driver has me excited. Looking forward to a trip to Tucson to give it a try!

Really good job jman. I am a huge fan of the forgiveness across the face especially on and towards the toe

A ton of good information packed in to this review James. With all the no charge upgrades that Callaway is offering it's hard to ignore the message they are giving out about fitting.

That review is so solid James. The only question I have is just a personal one, but what APW setting did you see gave you the best results?

• Staff
That review is so solid James. The only question I have is just a personal one, but what APW setting did you see gave you the best results?

Two "marks" over towards the heel (draw). Luuuuuurve.

Very nice review! I look forward to comparing the GBB to my BBA

Great review James! This driver is amazing how it has continued to improve from such big hits like the 2014 bertha and BBA. Packing incredible amount of forgiveness, tech and adjustability to fit a really wide range of golfers is truly an innovation.

Great review James. I need to spend some time with the GBB. We have may have my 2016 gamer here!

So, I want to say a couple things now that the review is up.

Some may call this comment homerism, but I can assure you it isn't. The GBB is the most interesting and adaptable ALL AROUND driver I have reviewed/tested. The retention seen across the face during testing was honestly staggering.

There is a unique aspect to this though, I think people REALLY need to remember that:

a) Taking the same shaft you always use and plugging it in may lead to you miss the boat on this one as I've now played 6 different shafts in the head with incredibly varying results. I firmly believe that this one can be fit/tuned for 95% of swings, they key is realizing that being fit is key here. Not simply assuming what you saw with one particular shaft makes it a miss (I know J4U saw this when I pressured him to go hit it again).

b) HIT THE CLUB OUTSIDE. Some will undoubtedly (and have) go to the store, hit this, then hit the DBD, freak about a spin difference in the two, and NEVER ONCE take into account the on the course aspect. I know its the internet and many don't miss, but some of us do, and THAT is where you find out how well a club performs for you. NOT just in a bay with launch and spin, sure its a part of it, but I have never tested a driver that reacts like this to misses (and with MANY different types of golfers now). I have no issues putting myself out there with this one.

Nice review James. This driver definitely intrigues the hell out of me. I've only hit it about 3 times with what was assuredly a poorly fitting shaft, so I want to spend more time with it with a shaft that will make more sense for me (LZ Blue, Diamana S+, Tour Blue, etc.).

Yet another review on why THP provides the best, unbiased review of golf equipment on the Internet.

James as someone who has transitioned from the 2014 BB to the 2015 BBA 815, this offering feels like the natural progression to get the most yards out of my tee game. Admittedly lessons have helped me play better all around and offerings like this from Callaway make the game that much more enjoyable.

One comment that stuck out from the review was this “compared to the 815, the average clubhead speed on the GBB increased no matter what the shaft weight/setup was which no doubt has to do with the actual weight and aerodynamics of the head” this statement alone has me anxious to get my hands on one of these and compare to my current set up.

Thanks again for a great review.

Great review JMan, best review on this club I've seen yet

Great review James!

Great write up as always JMan. You do a great job with these.

Very thorough and informative review, Jman. The GBB is high on my list for trying out this year. The additional shaft options with no upcharge make it even more appealing. Nice to see the sliding weight be effective. I have used the MP630 Fastrack in the past and could see a discernible change in ball flight with adjusting the weight.

Very good review. Enjoyed reading it, makes me really want to go out and get fitted for this to see which shaft and adjustment level would work best for me.

Solid review, need to find an outdoor fitting center near me to put it through its paces!

Wow, that was a comprehensive and well thought out review. Well done James.

I usually do not comment on reviews as they can be highly subjective, but this review is probably the most informative that I have ever seen regarding a driver. It addresses all of the potential areas where the product could under perform and it addresses those places with useful detail. The review , however has no bearing on my purchase. Based on the superior performance of the fairway wood, the driver is on the way. If the KK Black TINI does not work out for me, I already have several different type and weight shafts with optifit.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I truly do appreciate it.

This is a solid review! I really wish I would of waited till this came out before bagging it. One thing I would of done was tried more shafts. I went with the speeder 665, and it's a good shaft for me. But, I feel like I may of jumped the gun a bit pre-maturely.

From my my time with this club a couple of observations:
My current configuration allows for not so perfect strikes and the shaft combination help to ease those misses. Specifically misses out towards the toe. I can feel the head torque, but I don't see that huge swing in ball flight. Which is a huge benefit? Shots that are more heel oriented don't seem to fade nearly as much either. The seem to be more of a pulled shot if anything.

Distance wise this thing is very long across the face. Numbers are not as important, but if I were to look at all strikes, it seems like the delta from pure shots to "misses" is no where a large as I expected. Another huge win.

The he accoustics are spot on. You know when you pure one, and you hear when you miss as well. Definitely a different sound around the face.

The Stock grip fits aesthetically, but I'm finding that I miss the multi compound types of grip more than I realized. But I've noticed in the short time I've had this club that the grip,is starting to show some wear. I don't wear a glove normally, and my hands are a little more rougher than the average person perhaps. But I didn't expect the wear to show this quickly.

Callaway seemed to hit the nail on the head with this iteration in the growing line of Big Bertha.

Back