Callaway Mack Daddy 2 "Tour Grind" Wedges - THP Preview

dang, I thought they were being released in June....Not July

Gave this beauty a waggle this evening. Love the color! The head shape is very appealing as well. Hope to hit some chips tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

These got some work this weekend from several people at the SeeMore event and I've now played ONLY one of these 56.11 T-grinds from 105 and in for 6-7 rounds now.

They are an improvement, I honestly believe that, FOR ME these are what I expected the MD2's to be from the start, they remind me of the X-Forged more than anything else with the leading edge change, the higher toe, and the interaction that comes from them. Now, that DOES NOT mean they will be better or worse than the standard MD2's for everyone, wedges are personal, if you enjoy the rounded leading edge then these likely won't be your cup of tee. What I can say is the distance control and versatility with the Tour Grind is very good, I hit a lot of really good shots around the greens this weekend.

As reviewers is it NOT about the personal, my job isn't to say if I like or dislike something, its to talk about what they are supposed to do and if they do it. These achieve the goals that Roger Cleveland wanted with the sole grind and their coordination with their tour staff, more versatility and a leading edge that sits lower to the ground, good spin, good sound/feel, well rounded performance. On the personal though, I would like to spend some more time with these in the 54 and 58 when they release, and likely will.

I'll also add, as I had a PM about it, the face wear is the same as with the other MD2's. The etching is meant to wear and does, additionally the sate finish will rust if you let it.

These got some work this weekend from several people at the SeeMore event and I've now played ONLY one of these 56.11 T-grinds from 105 and in for 6-7 rounds now.

They are an improvement, I honestly believe that, FOR ME these are what I expected the MD2's to be from the start, they remind me of the X-Forged more than anything else with the leading edge change, the higher toe, and the interaction that comes from them. Now, that DOES NOT mean they will be better or worse than the standard MD2's for everyone, wedges are personal, if you enjoy the rounded leading edge then these likely won't be your cup of tee. What I can say is the distance control and versatility with the Tour Grind is very good, I hit a lot of really good shots around the greens this weekend.

As reviewers is it NOT about the personal, my job isn't to say if I like or dislike something, its to talk about what they are supposed to do and if they do it. These achieve the goals that Roger Cleveland wanted with the sole grind and their coordination with their tour staff, more versatility and a leading edge that sits lower to the ground, good spin, good sound/feel, well rounded performance. On the personal though, I would like to spend some more time with these in the 54 and 58 when they release, and likely will.

Pretty cool to hear your thoughts about these compared to the MD2s. That this is more off what you expected.

Yep 56 bent to 55 and a 60 will be mine. KBS Tour Shafts just like my current ones. I love the idea behind the grind and I have slate now, but I think I have to go Chrome with these.

Yep 56 bent to 55 and a 60 will be mine. KBS Tour Shafts just like my current ones. I love the idea behind the grind and I have slate now, but I think I have to go Chrome with these.

Get me one of the first kind while you're at it. :eek:k: Right handed though!

One will be mine, any way you slice it. In the chrome variety as well.

I'll also add, as I had a PM about it, the face wear is the same as with the other MD2's. The etching is meant to wear and does, additionally the sate finish will rust if you let it.

yes_napoleon_dynamite.gif

Very cool. Awesome review as always, Jman.

I still think these are the nicest looking wedges to come out in a while that really fit the profile of what I look for in a wedge. I've been playing wedges that rust for the last several years but the chromish color is really something I'm pondering.

From my experience with the MD2 slate finish wedges... the finish is much more durable then the vintage finish on the X Forged wedges that I used to play. The X forged rusted very quickly where as my MD2's really haven't.

None of the slate finishes have rusted as quickly since the raw xforged, but it's still raw and will rust.

Jman graciously allowed me to take some cuts with these this weekend and I was really impressed. I typically don't take "full" swings with wedges and these felt great with partial and full swings. It felt easy to to flight the ball with them as well.

Epic skim but does the -R- Design labeling mean that cleveland won their case against them putting roger cleveland on the last set of mack daddy's

Epic skim but does the -R- Design labeling mean that cleveland won their case against them putting roger cleveland on the last set of mack daddy's

If nothing else, it indicates that Callaway is not antagonizing Cleveland the OEM about where Roger Cleveland currently works. I don't know about winning, but certainly an attempt to avoid further drama. If nothing else, the lawsuit only cast light on the reality that Roger Cleveland was no longer making wedges for CG in the first place.

If nothing else, it indicates that Callaway is not antagonizing Cleveland the OEM about where Roger Cleveland currently works. I don't know about winning, but certainly an attempt to avoid further drama. If nothing else, the lawsuit only cast light on the reality that Roger Cleveland was no longer making wedges for CG in the first place.

I'm not going to get into all of this, suffice to say, they removed his name and that is that. In the end, most were not at all surprised that Cleveland took exception to it.

Back on the farm though, I finished up my thoughts on these today with yet another full range and short game session as well as a round. Much more versatile, and definitely improved turf interaction. As always, distances and such will come back to the individual swinging the club, but they spin well, and they allowed me to hit all of the shots I could ask them to. Solid offering and much more akin to the Xforged that so many still love to this day.

Yes. I will be giving myself a late fathers day gift when they launch. 54 and 58 will be mine :)

Yes. I will be giving myself a late fathers day gift when they launch. 54 and 58 will be mine :)

Have to admit as a Callaway team staffer if these show up in the bag in the 54/58 you might see a grown man cry.

Have to admit as a Callaway team staffer if these show up in the bag in the 54/58 you might see a grown man cry.

Well, a lot of grown men are going to cry on Staff Sponsor day. But these being in the bag would cause an extra tear or two.

Have to bump this to say this wedge was everything I hoped it to be and fit beautifully in my bag at the seemore event. James was kind enough to let me snag one for the weekend and I found myself going to it more than my 58 degree MD2 that I've owned for year now. The grind is just so inviting at address and I found getting under the ball just effortless. I was playing with it a lot opening the face up or closing it more than usual and it still remained playable.

yma3ypap.jpg

Plus the finish with that highlighter yellow fill is spot on to my style of club. Thanks again James!

I know you were hoping I'd forget to come get it before I left! hahaha

They're extremely solid and extremely versatile, to me, these are what the MD2's SHOULD have been from the start, but that is extremely personal I know.

I know you were hoping I'd forget to come get it before I left! hahaha

They're extremely solid and extremely versatile, to me, these are what the MD2's SHOULD have been from the start, but that is extremely personal I know.
Haha mayyyyybe a little inside! I think it would have been a great start to the MD2 to start with this grind and then offer others as options. but this one just makes sense to be the default grind. I can't complain though because I've loved my original. this one just was eye opening

Not sure what to but, wanted the chrome so it would be close to same color as my apex irons, but the green yellow color looks better to me on the slate color, I'm getting one either 58 or 60 I mainly use mine for chips pitches and from the sand, but oh well I'll get something

Not sure what to but, wanted the chrome so it would be close to same color as my apex irons, but the green yellow color looks better to me on the slate color, I'm getting one either 58 or 60 I mainly use mine for chips pitches and from the sand, but oh well I'll get something

I think these will serve you well for that purpose, I know I've seen better chipping results already from it and sand play had never been easier. I don't think you can go wrong with either finish, the slate looks darn good with that paint fill and the smoke chrome is phenomenal looking as well.

I had the pleasure of hitting Tyler's in OC. First shot, out of the car. Nice little 40 yard shot to an elevated green out of the rough. Snuggled it up close and instantly fell in love with the tour grind MD wedges.

I'm excited to try these out, for my money the MD2 58C is the best wedge I've ever owned, not much this club can't do.

Back