Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

I hit my Mav against the TSi2. Not exactly a fair battle, and I just went stock configuration in the TSi2, but I thought the Mav looked better at address and felt much better. Hit the TSi2 high and straight, but not quite as far, at least on a consistent basis. Test was a great reminder of how much I love this driver.

Last edited:
played the Mav SZ for the first time today...first callaway driver i have gotten along with from swing one...let's see how long this honeymoon lasts

So I did a thing at the range today that goes against my swing. I put the max into -1/D with the weight in the back and proceeded to hit long straight bombs!

this is so surprising because my miss is a fade/slice and everything I know and read states that reducing loft opens the face= rightward shot.

I think taking lift off had more of an affect on spin and did very little to shot shape.I also put the hzrdus smoke black in @70gr over the evenflow black, heres to hoping it continues to play like this on the course!

So I did a thing at the range today that goes against my swing. I put the max into -1/D with the weight in the back and proceeded to hit long straight bombs!

this is so surprising because my miss is a fade/slice and everything I know and read states that reducing loft opens the face= rightward shot.

I think taking lift off had more of an affect on spin and did very little to shot shape.I also put the hzrdus smoke black in @70gr over the evenflow black, heres to hoping it continues to play like this on the course!

Thats fun.
Here is to hoping it carries over for you.

Okay so had a little issue today where I was fading everything but hitting center face and couldn’t figure it out. I always play my 9* driver at +1/D. Got home and cleaned my clubs and noticed it was set wrong. Must have not set it right when I changed shafts. Now I know why there was no height to my tee shots and why I was fading everything. I had set it to -1/D 🤦🏻‍♂️
07A6A260-F096-4C79-A96E-9FD74F82D63D.jpeg
who says it doesn’t pay to clean your clubs? I would have not thought to look at the settings.

Last edited:
Okay so had a little issue today where I was fading everything but hitting center face and couldn’t figure it out. I always play my 9* driver at +1/D. Got home and cleaned my clubs and noticed it was set wrong. Must have not set it right when I changed shafts. Now I know why there was no height to my tee shots and why I was fading everything. I had set it to -1/D 🤦🏻‍♂️
View attachment 8988675
who says it doesn’t pay to clean your clubs? I would have not thought to look at the settings.

Now I gotta go back to the range because that makes sense, my settings do not?!

It’s been asked in this thread before but is anyone played with heavier weights on the Max? I.e. 16/8, 16/16?

It’s been asked in this thread before but is anyone played with heavier weights on the Max? I.e. 16/8, 16/16?
Not that much, I pretty much left mine stock. Keep in mind when going up in weights it will change the swing weight.

So having the driver set to what I needed +1/D made a huge difference today and hit 11/14 FIR. Most drives where just nice and straight or a small 5 yard draw. I did slice one to the next fairway but that was all me on a lazy swing.
Overall quite please with the Mavrik SZ and it stays in the bag for this year. No reason for me to change at all.

View attachment 8988675
I did that too, when I first got mine! Lol

I’m pretty sure golf clubs have feelings. I’ve got a Srixon ZX5 on the way and the Mav Max came alive today. I put in the Ventus Blue and it is such a good combo. Stable yet active is the best way to describe the feeing. I hit some of my best drives today and it felt effortless. Both drives were around the 270 range which is plenty long for me. Nice baby draws that had some Texas Roll help.

My local Golf Headquarters is pretty slow to get in demos, so all I have really been able to test against the Mav is the TSi line. So far it has stood up to both the 2 and 3. Last sim session, tho, my longest drive was with the TSi2. The Mav must not have appreciated how I had not yet eliminated the TSi2 because the first drive of the day, on a downhill hole, the ball finished at 307... The Mav is not going anywhere.

Hello, I have a problem and am a club ho!

ok now that we have that out of the way, I purchased a 9* standard and hit it compared to the 9* max... let the games begin!

Hello, I have a problem and am a club ho!

ok now that we have that out of the way, I purchased a 9* standard and hit it compared to the 9* max... let the games begin!
Haha, welcome to the club. Let us know what you think of the two.

Range session this afternoon, I put an 8 gr weight in the back instead of stock 5, s/d position, 70 gram, 6.5 hzrdus smoke black standard length.
ball flight was much flatter and compared to max, appeared to be hitting further down the range. Sound and feel is better with the heavier weight. Misses seemed longer and less spinny, but a little further offline, overall I liked it better and think if I can stay committed to this head then may have a winner for at least a year.

Range session this afternoon, I put an 8 gr weight in the back instead of stock 5, s/d position, 70 gram, 6.5 hzrdus smoke black standard length.
ball flight was much flatter and compared to max, appeared to be hitting further down the range. Sound and feel is better with the heavier weight. Misses seemed longer and less spinny, but a little further offline, overall I liked it better and think if I can stay committed to this head then may have a winner for at least a year.
Sounds like a good session. You might play with it a bit more just to see if it will change anything for you. There could be some fine tuning in there.

Question for you experts.
After playing both the Max and Standard with the Rogue White shaft, there is no question I hit the Max longer, but the Standard straighter. This seems to be the opposite of what I would expect. Any insight? Play to a 5.4 and natural ball flight is a slight fade. Thanks in advance.

Question for you experts.
After playing both the Max and Standard with the Rogue White shaft, there is no question I hit the Max longer, but the Standard straighter. This seems to be the opposite of what I would expect. Any insight? Play to a 5.4 and natural ball flight is a slight fade. Thanks in advance.
I played the Max also, and if I had to guess it is because the Max is more forgiving across more of the face. Have you tried changing out the weights? Are you playing both at the same loft?

Thanks for your quick response. Sold the Max to a friend as he loved it and when I replaced just went with Standard as I was told I would like better. Set both at +1 D. Really prefer the Standard as finding fairway is much more important than a few extra yards. Was just wondering tho, why my results were different than the norm. Could it be the standard spins more and that fits my game better? Both were 9 degree.

Thanks for your quick response. Sold the Max to a friend as he loved it and when I replaced just went with Standard as I was told I would like better. Set both at +1 D. Really prefer the Standard as finding fairway is much more important than a few extra yards. Was just wondering tho, why my results were different than the norm. Could it be the standard spins more and that fits my game better? Both were 9 degree.
What's your default miss/ball flight? I believe the Max is more draw biased than the Standard, so if your default miss was to the left, the Standard would probably provide a straighter ball flight for you.

That could be the issue, but natural shot ( go to ) is slight fade. That being said, a fade really does not fit my eye so unless a narrow fairway I swing more inside out to produce a draw. Another odd note, my natural iron pattern is a draw. Driver miss therefore, is a pull hook.

i actualy dont like this driver, i like the cobra and the ttitlesit and the rogue better, buti noticed it doesnt have grooves across the face

So yesterday I booked a fitting for irons and driver next Tuesday.
Forward to my round yesterday and the Mavrik Max came alive :) Had my 4 longest drives of the year. Beautiful high baby draws. I have been struggling off the tee all year but today was in the mid 60°s, fairways where dry for this time of the year. So got a lot of run-out.
On #2 I cleared the corner bunker on a dogleg left at 240 yards and must have got a good kick off from it as it ended up being a 298 yard drive.
I've only been averaging 230 yards all year, so I'm trying to figure out in my head what I was doing correctly yesterday.

So yesterday I booked a fitting for irons and driver next Tuesday.
Forward to my round yesterday and the Mavrik Max came alive :) Had my 4 longest drives of the year. Beautiful high baby draws. I have been struggling off the tee all year but today was in the mid 60°s, fairways where dry for this time of the year. So got a lot of run-out.
On #2 I cleared the corner bunker on a dogleg left at 240 yards and must have got a good kick off from it as it ended up being a 298 yard drive.
I've only been averaging 230 yards all year, so I'm trying to figure out in my head what I was doing correctly yesterday.
Bottle that swing up!!!!

Bottle that swing up!!!!
Trouble is my short term memory sucks as well as my long term.:banghead:

Might have to do to listening to the THP Showcase yesterday as I walked the course and didn't have any swing thoughts.
Or I was getting my inner @Canadan swing from him as I listened.

Back