Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Determined to pick one of these up from pre-owned with some tournament credits I have. I've been with my g400 max for 2.5 years but could go for a change. Torn between the Max and regular Mav. Anyone coming from the G400 have some insight?

One of the reasons I want a change is distance. I did pick up a EFSZ 5 wood last year and have it turned down to a 4 but I can bomb that thing consistently 240. My G400 Max averages 255 according to Arrcos. I'm thinking a lower spin driver might get me some yards but don't want to give up too much forgiveness. Also seems the regular Mav has better shaft options on pre owned currently.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Well I have a mavrik 9* on the way with the rogue white 60s. I've been hitting my epic flash solid with the smoke 70 and the launch monitor showed a small uptick in swing speed with the rogue while keeping my other numbers in check. Looking forward to trying it on course. It should be here Friday!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I played in a scramble today, and it may have been the first time I was the "big hitter" of the group. After a few holes, the guys wanted me to go last and swing hard, which was such a blast with my Mavrik driver. My favorite swing of the day was on a 547 yard par 5 that doglegs right. With balls in play, I took a super aggressive line and cleared the trees. When we made the turn, we saw my ball in the middle of the fairway, leaving only 200 yards in and leading to an eagle. I assume the drive was 280ish, but I would NEVER have taken that line in the past. Just a lot of confidence in the Mavrik/Ventus Red combo.

Well this showed up today. Looking forward to seeing it's results on the course!
0e01bbac9d6d3dacff2e155c9893c62f.jpg

Took my new Mavrik 9 degrees out on the course yesterday for the first time. Ordered it from Will Peoples with a Ventus Blue 6R, tipped 0.5”. Coming from a Ping G410 LST, I feel like the Mavrik is more forgiving, but what I’m really enjoying so far is the sound and feel of the club. Thought I’d share because browsing through the 130+ pages of this thread is what really got me interested in the Mavrik in the first place. I can see this club staying in my bag for a long time (famous last words).

Played in a 4 person scramble yesterday. The Mavrik and I were putting on a show. I may have to play with some hosel settings as I'm drawing this fade biased driver a little more than I'd like.

Pretty sure it's in the D setting now. Going to adjust it to N and maybe even look into a red dot adapter to flatten it more.

Struggled for a few rounds but swapped the weights back round on the Max and was much better. May have to go from draw to neutral setting too.

Had a good day with the driver, 11/14 fairways, misses all playable within a couple steps of the fairway. One thing I did do was tee up the ball a bit higher and was able to hit up on it a bit more than normal for me. I had some longer drives today and found that small 3-5 yard draw again. Paired with the blue Ventus and the 9° Max head it is hard to beat.

Had a good day with the driver, 11/14 fairways, misses all playable within a couple steps of the fairway. One thing I did do was tee up the ball a bit higher and was able to hit up on it a bit more than normal for me. I had some longer drives today and found that small 3-5 yard draw again. Paired with the blue Ventus and the 9° Max head it is hard to beat.
Lately I have been teeing the ball a bit higher than I have in the past with the Mav Max and I have gained some yards also! Love my Mavrik Max / Ventus Blue combo!!!!!!!! MAGIC!

It's been nice feeling like I'm back in my comfort zone since having the Mavrik in the bag. I'm finally keeping the ball in play off the tee and the best part is I'm not seeing big hooks like I was afraid of. To my eye I'm getting pretty much the same performance I saw with the Flash but with a better sound.

Took my new Mavrik 9 degrees out on the course yesterday for the first time. Ordered it from Will Peoples with a Ventus Blue 6R, tipped 0.5”. Coming from a Ping G410 LST, I feel like the Mavrik is more forgiving, but what I’m really enjoying so far is the sound and feel of the club. Thought I’d share because browsing through the 130+ pages of this thread is what really got me interested in the Mavrik in the first place. I can see this club staying in my bag for a long time (famous last words).

That's great. Will does wonderful work.

As to forgiveness. that's odd because the Pings have a greater MOI and are known as fairway finders. My son has a 10.5 Mavrik and love the sound and feel. And when it's fit for you and you are hitting center face, it's gonna do great things. But I find my Max easier to hit straight although the Mav is doing better after more time with it. It requires a better swing from me to go straight. I can get careless with the Ping. But that's why I'm retooling the swing. No time for getting careless. Enjoy your club!

Last edited:
I hit the mav side by side with the epic flash both set at 10 degrees and I used same shaft and the flash was just better for me. I like the weighting on the flash more.

There’s nothing wrong with that! The Epic Flash is a fantastic driver that wasn’t made obsolete by the Mavrik.

Screenshot_20200830-182712_TheGrint.jpg

Mavrik. Sub. Zero.

Driving was the weakest part of my game last year. I'm no speed demon, but I needed more fairways. I hit around 62%. Worked hard on it over the offseason, and then the Mavriks came out. Pulled the trigger fast because it reminded me of the GBB Epic SZ I loved. Played around with different shafts until I found what worked. Then when on a run of 90% fairways over about 125 shots, and settled overall at around 80%. Started messing around with a SIM, because I felt like the Sub was hard to cut. Accuracy went straight down. Learned to cut the Sub, ditched the SIM, and went right back to 80% at around 278 yds. Decided to ramp up the SS a couple mph about 8 rounds ago. And this is the result. That head is so fantastically neutral no matter what, and I love it. Best head I've ever tried, and it's not even close. It does exactly what it should do with whatever you give it. I could never say enough about it. Huge, huge, fan.

Last edited:
Got the mavrik 9* with the rogue white on the course today and for not hitting a single ball with it I was impressed. I've been hitting the epic flash hazrdous smoke combo very well but the mavrik felt effortless to hit good drives to me. I don't think I'm any longer than with the flash but it just seemed so easy to hit the ball with the mavrik. It's hard to explain but it just felt right. I will say the sound was definitely different but I did start to get used to it as the round progressed. I never realized how loud the EF was until I hit the mavrik today. The sound seemed in between the rogue and EF flash to me.

We played a par 5 today that was around 480 and I was sitting at 160 out after the tee shot which is a tremendous bomb for me (got a little help from the wind). Even made the eagle on that one. Can't wait to get some more rounds in but I'm very impressed with what I saw today and not hitting a single ball with it before I got on the course. It does feel a little lighter than the EF combo I was playing but I was more than comfortable using it today.

8/12 Fairways and 1 pull OB. It isn't exactly the nicest fairway to hit for a Par 5, but whatever.

I customized my search from when I bought the driver and I'm at 56% fairways hit in 2020. 59% fairways hit in my last 20 rounds of Golf. Obviously this isn't hitting driver every single time but fair to say it's a strong majority of the time I'm hitting driver.

Really just ecstatic at how often I'm finding the fairway but also I can count plenty of drives where I may have missed a fairway but I still have a 2nd shot. MavMax!!

View attachment 8961031

Mavrik. Sub. Zero.

Driving was the weakest part of my game last year. I'm no speed demon, but I needed more fairways. I hit around 62%. Worked hard on it over the offseason, and then the Mavriks came out. Pulled the trigger fast because it reminded me of the GBB Epic SZ I loved. Played around with different shafts until I found what worked. Then when on a run of 90% fairways over about 125 shots, and settled overall at around 80%. Started messing around with a SIM, because I felt like the Sub was hard to cut. Accuracy went straight down. Learned to cut the Sub, ditched the SIM, and went right back to 80% at around 278 yds. Decided to ramp up the SS a couple mph about 8 rounds ago. And this is the result. That head is so fantastically neutral no matter what, and I love it. Best head I've ever tried, and it's not even close. It does exactly what it should do with whatever you give it. I could never say enough about it. Huge, huge, fan.

I'd love to get to 10 yards shorter than your average distance with the same dispersion so now I have a goal! I just got home from my 4 day golf weekend and my Mavrik SZ from CPO was patiently waiting for me. I'm excited to get it to the range this afternoon. What difference did you see with the heavy weight back. From what I'm reading, weight back increases spin about 300 rpm and peak height about 7-10 yards. I've been a heavy weight forward guy with my GBB Epic SZ so it will be interesting to see what difference the Mavrik makes.

BTW, I've already been out to my workbench with my 3,000 grit abrasive and change the glossy finish to that satin look that I like, lol.

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 11.09.00 AM.png

Last edited:
I'd love to get to 10 yards shorter than your average distance with the same dispersion so now I have a goal! I just got home from my 4 day golf weekend and my Mavrik SZ from CPO was patiently waiting for me. I'm excited to get it to the range this afternoon. What difference did you see with the heavy weight back. From what I'm reading, weight back increases spin about 300 rpm and peak height about 7-10 yards. I've been a heavy weight forward guy with my GBB Epic SZ so it will be interesting to see what difference the Mavrik makes. The next step before I get to the range is to take it to the workbench in the garage and shorten the shaft and turn that glossy paint on the crown to a satin finish with some of my 3,000 grit 3M sandpaper, lol.
I played the heavy weight forward in the OG Epic SZ as well as the Rogue SZ. It was the best fit for me based on trial and error. With the Mavrik, I am getting the best results with the heavy weight back. I did have one great round when I had the weight forward. I was hitting the center of the face consistently and had these really nice flat draws with it. But, it does feel a little harsher with the weight forward. I find that I am just a bit straighter and get a little higher more controllable ball flight with the weight back. But, of course, your results may vary.

Something I keep coming back to with the Mav Max is confidence. I know this can be said with any driver that might be in play, but for me standing on the tee box I am swinging as freely as I can knowing well struck shots will get out there to a respectable distance and poorly struck shots are not penalized in terms of distance loss. I am 100% confident in my ability to scramble from a bad tee shot that I don't worry about it. On the tee i am focused on my line and shot shape I am trying to execute.

I'd love to get to 10 yards shorter than your average distance with the same dispersion so now I have a goal! I just got home from my 4 day golf weekend and my Mavrik SZ from CPO was patiently waiting for me. I'm excited to get it to the range this afternoon. What difference did you see with the heavy weight back. From what I'm reading, weight back increases spin about 300 rpm and peak height about 7-10 yards. I've been a heavy weight forward guy with my GBB Epic SZ so it will be interesting to see what difference the Mavrik makes.

BTW, I've already been out to my workbench with my 3,000 grit abrasive and change the glossy finish to that satin look that I like, lol.

View attachment 8961118
For me the weights standard vs switched was just under 300 spin (250 or so maybe) and just a little different ball flight. I didn't like it with 14g up front anymore than I liked it with 14 in the back. With heavy in the back it amplified my left miss. Always does. I do not like the CG max distance from the club face in just about any driver. Low and deep is not my thing. 14 front, like @radiman said, is pretty harsh. Sound and forgiveness. You have to live on the button. Great when I do, seriously not great when I don't. Misses are wild. I thought that's how I played my Epic SZ, and played my M5 double front some, so that surprised me. Also surprised me how heavy the swing weight with my favorite shaft was. The Riptide 60X I bought it with didn't suit, but with my Hzrdus it was too much SW. So I tried a TON of configurations - gbb Epic SZ weights fit (and epic flash), and settled on 8 front, 5 back as my sweet spot. And it turned out that was basically how I had my old epic sz too. 9 and 7 I think. And I switched from a smoke black to a regular Hzrdus black along the way while testing. The flight and spin differences can probably be handled with minor swing adjustment, but the sound and stability really changed for me with the weight forward. And weight back, for some reason, consistently makes me keep my weight back, dip my right shoulder more, and hit more hooks. I don't know why. It's not dramatic, but it shows up.

Hope you had fun with it at the range. The head looks good! I like it a little duller like that.

I continue to get asked what driver I’m playing when I’m on the course. Some still haven’t heard of the Mavrik but every person who has actually hit it either loves it or plays it already. It’s just that good.

9° Max driver (+1/N) with Ventus blue is just a perfect combo for me. Just a perfectly calm night and had a long drive of 267. I know that doesn't sound long for most but for me that is a huge drive. I have been teeing the ball just a bit higher and catching the ball on the upswing finally and I think that is where some of the distance is coming from.

View attachment 8961031

Mavrik. Sub. Zero.

78% at that distance is impressive!

yeah I'd say so. That's kind of insane. Hell I'd take 78% at any distance with my driver.

Please, golf gawds, please...

Back