Callaway MAVRIK Irons

They were the Project X Catalyst R - so their stock shaft. My Steelheads are Mitsubishi Fubuki AT55 R
Got it. So, not that far off then.

Hi There... thanks for taking a look if you care to. I've been a member here for a while and mostly lurk in these equipment forums, taking your reviews to heart and occasionally finding gold for my ragtag game. Before I begin, let me say that yes, I know about proper fitting and no I have not followed this path in this instance (actually for some time now). I generally shop the 'bay and big box second hand - and pick up a few years old tech at prices I'm more comfortable paying. Pretty good at picking winners and I try clubs at the big boxes at times if I'm really interested in something.

I'm aging a bit, play around 12-15 hdcp - I can shoot an 80 one weekend and a 90 the next. I'm pretty strong off the tee and have a good game around the greens that save me a lot of strokes. My iron game, once my strength has struggled in recent years. I'm a bit flat and a little over the top which I'm sure has caused me to become leery about my penetrating draw becoming a pull hook. I know it's the Indian, not the arrows however I've still managed to hit enough quality irons to position a good number on the card throughout the round. On to my Mavrik story...

I was intrigued and excited about both the Epic Forged and the Mav releases and thought what a great time to move away from my Steelhead XR's with two great options to choose from. I hit the Mav's and Epic's in the booth at GG and although a little stage fright didn't produce great quality, I could see improved numbers for distance, height, spin, etc... without my best swings. The Epics feel really smooth on contact, the Mavs a little harsher but still great distance and forgiving for how I was sending them into the screen.

So I did my thing and starting watching out for deals on Preowned for the Epic's and 'bay for the Mavs. I ended up purchasing a lightly used set of Mav's for a good price on upgraded graphite and couldn't wait to get to the range and course as soon as possible.

Fast forward a month and I have about half a dozen rounds and another 3 or 4 full range session in and I'm kinda lost. I don't know if anyone else has seen this or it's just my dumb luck but these forgiving, distance super clubs are anything but in my hands. I'm having trouble getting height out of anything over an 8 iron, not seeing the distance gains I was at GG and generally just can't feel the sweetspot that I've always seemed to be pretty good at finding. I've been up and down the Callaway lineup from X12's - Steelhead XR's. I'm sure it's me, but I think HP is a very honest group that can fill me in on some of the bad. I'm seeing high marks everywhere I look but I'm not feeling it. I thought transitioning to the Mav's from the XR's would be cake with a similar topline and size. Even off the tee, 5 and 6 irons come of low and clicky with good dispersion but no feel, no height and lost distance. Is anyone out there having trouble finding these hard to game? I'm considering the Max since I didn't try them but haven't ever needed to game SGI since I've been playing. I have always moved up the ladder in the Cally GI category with no residual negative effects. Is it the strong lofts that are too different for me? I'm close to putting the Steelheads back in the bag but really hate to give up on something I found so promising.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions... as always, it's great to have HP to bounce ideas off of.

I am not sure whether you saw what I shared and my experience between both sets. I used to be like You, just go for the stock and try to get it off the Deck.

Our swing changes with time and the condition of our body. I had injury due to service and I've been working on getting consistency with the ability to work around some problems (swinging to fast, path changing with time etc). Building up strength and stamina from the physical end as well.

The " low and clicky with good dispersion but no feel, no height and lost distance " is likely due to shafts that are paired with the heads are notnmesnr for you.

I got good distance with the epic forged, but lacked the height or launch needed to carry it as I paired it with a previous shaft from the rogue (it's low to mid launch and mid spin). With the mavrik, I choose the head only option forcing me it to get fitted, pairing the right shafts to the head (high lauch, mid spin) and I achieved what I wanted.

The mavrik cg positioning should help you launch it, while getting consistent distance. So if anything is bringing it low, it is likely the shaft or that you take a big divot before impact.

My two cents worth. I hope you give it time, change the shafts and will get on well with the mavriks.

I am not sure whether you saw what I shared and my experience between both sets. I used to be like You, just go for the stock and try to get it off the Deck.

Our swing changes with time and the condition of our body. I had injury due to service and I've been working on getting consistency with the ability to work around some problems (swinging to fast, path changing with time etc). Building up strength and stamina from the physical end as well.

The " low and clicky with good dispersion but no feel, no height and lost distance " is likely due to shafts that are paired with the heads are notnmesnr for you.

I got good distance with the epic forged, but lacked the height or launch needed to carry it as I paired it with a previous shaft from the rogue (it's low to mid launch and mid spin). With the mavrik, I choose the head only option forcing me it to get fitted, pairing the right shafts to the head (high lauch, mid spin) and I achieved what I wanted.

The mavrik cg positioning should help you launch it, while getting consistent distance. So if anything is bringing it low, it is likely the shaft or that you take a big divot before impact.

My two cents worth. I hope you give it time, change the shafts and will get on well with the mavriks.

I think most fitters will tell you the shaft is not the culprit when it comes to launch and spin issues. The biggest ways to manage launch and spin are with a different head and/or a different ball. Shaft is for timing.

They were the Project X Catalyst R - so their stock shaft. My Steelheads are Mitsubishi Fubuki AT55 R

Similar weights but different nature to them.

Your current gamer is fubuki at55R stock which was paired with the steelheads. They are midtorque, midkick shafts. A middle-of-the-road shaft.

Project x catalyst - is a low to mid launching shaft and mid spin. It is mid to higher kick pt. Mileage varies on the person. But I find they launch low for me despite getting the best shots.

The attas speed 55 series are high torque and high launch shafts. Kick pt is lower. So this are supposed to help you launch it.

1. Having one previous model shaft fitted into a newer model doesn't always necessary work and won't get you off the Deck. I learned that the painful way, thinking the catalyst shafts with my rogue could pair with epic forged irons.

2. It seems like due to the nature of your swing, the type of shafts you become accustomed to, you need to look at those that are mid kick, mid launch shafts. Not the low kick, high launch type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most fitters will tell you the shaft is not the culprit when it comes to launch and spin issues. The biggest ways to manage launch and spin are with a different head and/or a different ball. Shaft is for timing.
I agree 100%. But, with that being said, the shaft can be causing impact issues which I would suspect is likely the main culprit. If the feel isn't there, he's likely not catching the center of the face. And the shafts can be the reason why. Just a thought since what he hit and what he has now are not a 1 for 1 comparison.

I just liked the picture we took haha.

Fitters have different ways and methods so to speak. There are so many factors when it comes to launch and spin. As everyone has a different swing, that variance can differ person to person.

For me, it was the shafts. I did one for ones to eliminate the causes. I could have had the perfect swing, but my trouble was with launch and spin was dangerously low. Once I swapped from the catalysts to steelfiber shafts. Boom I got the launch and spin I needed to achieve.

The most important thing for us is that the fitter facilitates our process of getting the most of the iron heads based on our swing nature or current make up. Ultimately, to enjoy golf more in the green once we hit those milestones.

I agree 100%. But, with that being said, the shaft can be causing impact issues which I would suspect is likely the main culprit. If the feel isn't there, he's likely not catching the center of the face. And the shafts can be the reason why. Just a thought since what he hit and what he has now are not a 1 for 1 comparison.

Well put. That was the chain of thought I was working at.

Fitters have different ways and methods so to speak. There are so many factors when it comes to launch and spin. As everyone has a different swing, that variance can differ person to person.

For me it was the shafts. I could have had the perfect swing, but my trouble was with launch and spin was dangerously low. Once I swapped from the catalysts to steelfiber shafts. Boom I got the launch and spin I needed to achieve.

The most important thing for us is that the fitter facilitates our process of getting the most of the iron heads based on our swing nature or current make up. Ultimately, to enjoy golf more in the green once we hit those milestones.

but you can even talk to shaft manufacturers and they'll tell you shafts don't make big changes in launch or spin numbers when comparing similar swings/strikes. so the guys who stand to make the most money off consumers chasing numbers by buying different shafts aren't saying that.

i'll concede what @radiman says, that an ill-fitted shaft could be causing delivery issues whether that be face-to-path or quality of strike if you're not timing it well. but the launch monitor data would show the inconsistency of delivery that is causing the launch/spin issues. it's not like the person will have the same path, face, angle of attack, dynamic loft, etc and get drastically different results.

I don't mean to take this conversation a direction not related to the mavrik irons; i'm just trying to save someone some $$$. buying different shafts and paying for labor and grips a few times will equal the cost of a new set. it's not a cheap endeavor when we're talking a full set of irons.

but you can even talk to shaft manufacturers and they'll tell you shafts don't make big changes in launch or spin numbers when comparing similar swings/strikes. so the guys who stand to make the most money off consumers chasing numbers by buying different shafts aren't saying that.

i'll concede what @radiman says, that an ill-fitted shaft could be causing delivery issues whether that be face-to-path or quality of strike if you're not timing it well. but the launch monitor data would show the inconsistency of delivery that is causing the launch/spin issues. it's not like the person will have the same path, face, angle of attack, dynamic loft, etc and get drastically different results.

I don't mean to take this conversation a direction not related to the mavrik irons; i'm just trying to save someone some $$$. buying different shafts and paying for labor and grips a few times will equal the cost of a new set. it's not a cheap endeavor when we're talking a full set of irons.

1. That is true
2. Yes, it seems like the pairing of the shaft doesn't work with his current swing.
3. Yes, it isn't cheap. Best scenerio in this case is to do a one for one. Put the steelhead shaft or something similar on sheet into the mavrik

So I'm launching at 21 or 22 degrees, spin rate is 4300, so I'm not trapping correctly. And my miss hits are thin, my fault not the clubs. But pretty straight.

I just wanted to thank you all for the replies. I'm going to take the Steelheads out for a spin today and see how I fare. If my suspicions are correct and some of your feedback is playing out the way I think it is, I guess I'll be back at the fitter before trying again (I know - the classic cautionary tale). Stay well and hit em straight!

after 7 months with my mav pros, i wanted to do some comparisons with my apex cf19 i was gaming this time last year. data was derived from arccos usage.

mav pro have stock elevate 105 stiff. loft 1* weak, lie 1* flat.

cf19 had kbs tour 90, standard loft, 1* flat (iirc).

Iron distances
Mav ProApex CF19
5i192204
6i180193
7i169168
8i159164
9i148155
PW132136
GW122125

GIR %

Mav ProApex CF19
5i23.1%37.5%
6i31.2%38.5%
7i50.0%31.8%
8i51.4%30.4%
9i67.9%66.7%
PW70.4%57.6%
GW57.7%60.0%

so what do i conclude from this? maybe i was generating more speed with the lighter shaft in the cf19? maybe the 1* difference in loft is the reason for some of the distance differences? i was playing a different ball last year, maybe that contributed to the distance difference. maybe apex cf19 are faster? hard to say. but without a doubt the mav pro are very accurate for me. and with my game, nothing leads to better scores like more gir. so for now, i’d say the mav pro are working much better for what my game needs.

Last edited:
after 7 months with my mav pros, i wanted to do some comparisons with my apex cf19 i was gaming this time last year. data was derived from arccos usage.

mav pro have stock elevate 105 stiff. loft 1* weak, lie 1* flat.

cf19 had kbs tour 90, standard loft, 1* weak (iirc).

Iron distances
Mav ProApex CF19
5i192204
6i180193
7i169168
8i159164
9i148155
PW132136
GW122125

GIR %

Mav ProApex CF19
5i23.1%37.5%
6i31.2%38.5%
7i50.0%31.8%
8i51.4%30.4%
9i67.9%66.7%
PW70.4%57.6%
GW57.7%60.0%

so what do i conclude from this? maybe i was generating more speed with the lighter shaft in the cf19? maybe the 1* difference in loft is the reason for some of the distance differences? i was playing a different ball last year, maybe that contributed to the distance difference. maybe apex cf19 are faster? hard to say. but without a doubt the mav pro are very accurate for me. and with my game, nothing leads to better scores like more gir. so for now, i’d say the mav pro are working much better for what my game needs.
You have quite consistent gaping with the Mav Pros compared to the CF19s. ~10yds gap from 5i to9i with the Pros. The 7i/8i for CF19 is 4yds?!
Between that anomaly with the CF19 and the GIR with the Pros I can see why the Mav Pros suit you better.

You have quite consistent gaping with the Mav Pros compared to the CF19s. ~10yds gap from 5i to9i with the Pros. The 7i/8i for CF19 is 4yds?!
Between that anomaly with the CF19 and the GIR with the Pros I can see why the Mav Pros suit you better.

i completely agree! who can say for sure, but i really think that’s the ai at play in the mav pros. each iron face at each loft is specifically designed to help the golfer achieve the intended result. proper gapping and increased gir is kinda the perfect testament for that.

C1BFF32D-FD9B-4A50-BB00-4019580FFA71.jpeg

Another range session this afternoon with just the irons. Really starting to find the groove with Mav standard and hitting some shots that I am really happy with. I still have a hard time beleiveing the results on of center shots, the forgiveness even with range balls has been remarkable. On vacation the next week, so hoping to get several more rounds in with them.

I was fit into these today with Fujikura Pro Iron 75R shafts. They should be in hand in 3 weeks. Can't wait!

I was fit into these today with Fujikura Pro Iron 75R shafts. They should be in hand in 3 weeks. Can't wait!

which ones? standard? max? pro?

Nice. Hope you love them!

I've never tried Fuji iron shafts but definitely want to someday.

Nice. Hope you love them!

I've never tried Fuji iron shafts but definitely want to someday.
We tried quite a few steel shafts with those and none of them worked as well for me as the Fujis.

Popped out to the range again today to work on some swing changes and have been able to really dial things in. Who knows if it’ll translate again to the course Tuesday but I’ve bee extremely happy with the ball flight as of late.

my mav pros seriously impressed yesterday. I moved back a set of tees, so had longer distances into each hole. I hit the green twice with 5i in my hand, each time from about 195. cleared a tree with a 6i out of the rough. carved a low 9i punch cut under a tree to a green on a par 5 after 2 poor shots and was able to save a par. I really only flushed one shot all day though, and it absolutely exploded off the face. the forgiveness in these irons continues to seriously impress. there are a few releases coming out this year that have my interest, but i'm struggling to think of what newer irons could do for me that the mav pros aren't doing. they're just so good.

Back