Callaway MD5 JAWS vs. Ping Glide 3.0 - Anyone compare these?

Newman21

Reaction score
Handicap
Can anyone compare these 2 wedges? I have yet to play the MD5's but currently play the Ping Glide 3.0's (56* and 60*) and have had a lot of experience with the Clevelands before. Would really like to hear the comparisons between the PIngs and the Callaways if anyone has some thoughts. Wanting to see if the JAWS is must try out wedge. Anyone of you try both the Ping and Jaws?

Thanks!

Newman

Played the 56 of both. Prefer the more grind options available of the MD5 and they definitely sound different.
Both are good wedges.

Glide 3.0’s are the most under appreciated wedges on the planet.

Both are solid though.

I have them both, but the MD5's are in the bag. Feel and spin is better for me.

I have been on a hunt for new wedges, thought the Ping’s were the one* until I hit the Jaws. Ordering custom 54 and 58 tomorrow. Pings might be a bit more forgiving (though not much) but the MD5s felt a lot better. What sealed the deal was I just felt I had way more ability to take bit off or get on it a bit with the Callaways whereas the Pings always sort of seemed to go the same distance.

I have been on a hunt for new wedges, thought the Ping’s were the one* until I hit the Jaws. Ordering custom 54 and 58 tomorrow. Pings might be a bit more forgiving (though not much) but the MD5s felt a lot better. What sealed the deal was I just felt I had way more ability to take bit off or get on it a bit with the Callaways whereas the Pings always sort of seemed to go the same distance.

callaway absolutely nailed the feel with the jaws md5. i love them. too bad i was fit into a loft/grind combo that is apparently not available. otherwise i’d just buy the same thing again when the grooves wear out.

MD5 is the best 54 and 50 wedges I've ever had. I absolutely love them on full shots. They really are perfect. My hi-toe bigfoot is my 58, so cant comment on the higher lofted.

Glide 3.0’s are the most under appreciated wedges on the planet.

Both are solid though.

I don't love the look of the leading edge on the Glide 3.0s. They may be great but I have shied away because of that and traditionally I love Ping wedges. I am not in love with my Callaway PM 58 for full swings so I constantly have my eyes open for a 58. I have a previous generation MD4 in 58 which I like on full swings but not so much around the greens.

I guess that is a long way of saying make sure you look at both of them because they look different to the eye.

I definitely prefer enjoy the MD5's much more over the Pings. Softer feel. Point and shoot. Spin control.
The Callaways check every box.

My take, having played both out on the course, is that the MD5 Jaws are easier for me to see my expected distance on full shots. The Jaws work Extremely well for me on full shots. I don’t know what it is about them, but they work.

The Glide 3s spin more on partial shots. I think that the claims about the coating repelling water are real.

I agree with @Jman, that the Glide 3s are way under appreciated. I think @OldandStiff would say the same thing..

They both are fantastic wedges, though. I don’t think either one gives me a material advantage overall in scoring.

My take, having played both out on the course, is that the MD5 Jaws are easier for me to see my expected distance on full shots. The Jaws work Extremely well for me on full shots. I don’t know what it is about them, but they work.

The Glide 3s spin more on partial shots. I think that the claims about the coating repelling water are real.

I agree with @Jman, that the Glide 3s are way under appreciated. I think @OldandStiff would say the same thing..

They both are fantastic wedges, though. I don’t think either one gives me a material advantage overall in scoring.

Yeah. Criminally underappreciated.

It's a tough comparison for me. I have limited shots in with an MD5, and I custom set up my Glides (different shafts, SWs, flatten the lie like crazy, etc) the second I get the plastic off. So the Glides do 99% of what I want them to do. I'm with @JB on the lack of grind options. I think their grinds are pretty versatile, but there aren't many of them. And that's the 1% more I wish they would do. I have no trouble spinning them. I can zip the Glides just like any other. I do think the spin on partials might be better for some, because I believe in the extra half groove they have. Especially on flighted shots. I've come to love that. I can make a hundred different shots with a Glide 3.0 SS. And the hydropearl is no joke. I just showed that off for a friend a couple days ago with a new 54, and he couldn't believe how you can even see the difference on someone else's ball flight, much less the spin.

I really liked the few times I've had an MD5 in my hand too, and I would agree with those saying the feel is a little better. Less forgiving, but softer with more feedback.

I personally believe way more people would benefit playing a glide over an MD5, but it's just my opinion.

It's been said many times already, and I couldn't agree more. The Ping Glide 3.0 don't get half the credit they deserve. I have nothing against the JAWs wedges, as a matter of fact I started the year playing them before being fitted into the Vokeys, but the Pings were a better playing wedge all around IMO. The Forged wedges are even better, but I prefer a forged wedge.

I prefer the straighter edge on the Callaway, but really enjoyed the Glides when I used them in a rental set. The little cavity on the Glides I think gives them a bit of an edge on full shots, while I prefer the Callaway wedges around the green. BUT... I've played Callaway wedges for a few years now, so there's a familiarity there.

Back