Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

I agree on the 3w being particular, but with Callaway and their woods it has always been an easy transition. They just seem to keep getting better in this category and oftern times IMO are the sleeper of every line release.

These are perfect. Did you go HL for the launch help or was it performing better for you overall?
We went for HL, I was having some issue getting the regular launching in the right window and the HL just fixed it for me. I was thinking I'd go 5W for forgiveness, but the 3HL was perfect and gapped where I needed it between driver and 3H

I thought you were talking about distance and gave us a nice little visualization about how much further you hit the AI Smoke :LOL:
I like this. They should do this for all distance measurements moving forward.

Man, the 3HL FW and I are getting along so well. It's such a reliable, predictable club, both off the tee and off the deck. It launches easier for me than the Paradym 3HL did, and just wants to fly straight even with my sometimes janky swing.

I see several on here that went with the 3HL in the draw version. May I ask why instead of just lifting up the 15 degree? Yes ...I know lofting up closes the face. I'm firmly decided on getting the max draw as my 3 wood is annoyingly the only club I cut instead of hit straight or a small draw. I know I could use a little height boost but undecided on a lifted up 15 vs the HL.

I see several on here that went with the 3HL in the draw version. May I ask why instead of just lifting up the 15 degree? Yes ...I know lofting up closes the face. I'm firmly decided on getting the max draw as my 3 wood is annoyingly the only club I cut instead of hit straight or a small draw. I know I could use a little height boost but undecided on a lifted up 15 vs the HL.
Also my phone apparently changes lofted to lifted...lol

I am at a fork in the road on what to do with the top of my bag. The Paradym X is performing well and giving me all I need off the tee, but the Smoke forgiveness/distance gains over Paradym are tough to be ignore.

My 3w is a Mavrik Max 3+ and is the most consistent/reliable club in my bag. I hesitate to move on from it, but I know I am leaving some distance on the table by not considering a newer option. I rather like the deeper look at address from the Mav Max 3+and need to go see if the Smoke Max or Smoke Max D presents the deeper look at address
I have a Max 3HL with Ventus red S of you want to try it in a few weeks

I went with the 3HL Max D on the advice of my fitter.

They are pretty darn fun. If it slots into the right spot for you, I would definitely recommend it!
does it go high and far?

what did you have in that spot before?

I personally went with it because I got to hit them side by side. The MaxD HL went straight as an arrow shot after shot with my swing compared to the standard max. It was really low and slow.

My best guess lifting up would make it close to a 4 wood and I already struggle with distance so I didn’t want to take that chance. This HL is an absolute screamer.

does it go high and far?

what did you have in that spot before?
What was in the slot before? Lol VSeries Heavenwood.

Result right now? Unsure of actual outdoor results

5W is very consistent for me. In my fitting, it really came down to the 3HL FW lofted up versus the 5W and we settled on 5W because it was a tad more consistent, probably due to it being shorter in length

I went with the 3HL Max D. Prior to being fit at a Callaway Demo day, I had read and followed this thread and took advice from people here who had been fit into the 3HL. During fitting, I asked to hit the 3HL and it literally took me three swings to confirm that the Max D 3HL was for me. Launched them high straight and long for me. The fitter didn’t even suggest hitting a 3W.

Last edited:
Curious if most are going with a different shaft/weight in their Smoke FW than driver. I know typical is FW a bit heavier and I’ve done that in the past. Was fit today into Smoke Max driver with Tensei Blue 55R shaft. That shaft is also working out in a HyWood 3+, and that’s part of why I had that in the mix for the fit. Makes me think maybe the 55R would work for me in a 7W. I may do another fitting but I hate hate hate hitting anything off a mat so I’m thinking semi-informed guess might be the way to go.

Last edited:
Curious if most are going with a different shaft in their Smoke FW than driver. I know typical is FW a bit heavier and I’ve done that in the past. Was fit today into Smoke Max driver with Tensei Blue 55R shaft. That shaft is also working out in a HyWood 3+, and that’s part of why I had that in the mix for the fit. Makes me think maybe the 55R would work for me in a 7W. I may do another fitting but I hate hate hate hitting anything off a mat so I’m thinking semi-informed guess might be the way to go.
I have the same shafts, just a little heavier in the fairway.

Curious if most are going with a different shaft in their Smoke FW than driver. I know typical is FW a bit heavier and I’ve done that in the past. Was fit today into Smoke Max driver with Tensei Blue 55R shaft. That shaft is also working out in a HyWood 3+, and that’s part of why I had that in the mix for the fit. Makes me think maybe the 55R would work for me in a 7W. I may do another fitting but I hate hate hate hitting anything off a mat so I’m thinking semi-informed guess might be the way to go.
I have same shafts (from TSR3 driver to TD 3w), but driver is 6x and 3w is 8x

Curious if most are going with a different shaft/weight in their Smoke FW than driver. I know typical is FW a bit heavier and I’ve done that in the past. Was fit today into Smoke Max driver with Tensei Blue 55R shaft. That shaft is also working out in a HyWood 3+, and that’s part of why I had that in the mix for the fit. Makes me think maybe the 55R would work for me in a 7W. I may do another fitting but I hate hate hate hitting anything off a mat so I’m thinking semi-informed guess might be the way to go.
I was fit to the same shaft in my driver, 3HL and 7W (Tensei Blue 65R).

I was fit into the 55R driver, and 65R fairway woods.

Do I think the 55R would work in the 7W? Probably. I think some testing/trial would be needed to see if I would actually see a difference, or what that difference was. Bonded head makes it a more difficult/pain in the butt change.

In my Smoke hl3W and Smoke 7W I went with a 65G R in both of them. The driver is a 55G R. I trusted the fitting (off of real turf). And not my otherwise wonky winter mat results. Getting back on to the grass proved my fitting correct. I would imagine the lighter shaft would work just fine. I know it doesn’t help much but my .02

Last edited:
I went heavier in my 5W, but the 70g range in fairway woods seems to be the sweet spot for me. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work offhand, but always hit it first if you have a chance.

The AI Smoke 7W. What a gem of a club.

Got to hit outside a bit!! Just so much easier than attempting a 4H or long iron. I had a choice of this OR a 5W in the bag. The versatility won out.
This post will talk about hitting from the rough a bit.
As a short hitter, there’s nothing getting me home from 180+ yards away from any lie but the fairway.

This club is Amazing so far from the short rough. It has a low enough profile to feel like a cheat ALA the old “tight lies” clubs of days past without looking like it will slide under the ball because it’s so thin and the added weight that those had.
This is weighted really well so that even a low to moderate swing gets through the rough without having to work at it.
I’ve really grown to like the “smoke” pattern on all of the clubs but this one is really striking in its chrome and grey feel.

IMG_4088.jpeg

Have my first full nine hole round scheduled for next week on short course. Really looking forward to hitting the 7w off the tee a few times!

Quite certain once there's a Callaway trade in and trade up bonus, .I'll be upgrading the D, 3w, 5w.

Last edited:
The AI Smoke 7W. What a gem of a club.

Got to hit outside a bit!! Just so much easier than attempting a 4H or long iron. I had a choice of this OR a 5W in the bag. The versatility won out.
This post will talk about hitting from the rough a bit.
As a short hitter, there’s nothing getting me home from 180+ yards away from any lie but the fairway.

This club is Amazing so far from the short rough. It has a low enough profile to feel like a cheat ALA the old “tight lies” clubs of days past without looking like it will slide under the ball because it’s so thin and the added weight that those had.
This is weighted really well so that even a low to moderate swing gets through the rough without having to work at it.
I’ve really grown to like the “smoke” pattern on all of the clubs but this one is really striking in its chrome and grey feel.

View attachment 9250724
This one is next on my list - just ordered an HL 7H today. I think I may be able to go 7H - 5H - 7W but we'll see. Just trying to decide 55R or 65R Tensei Blue. May come down to a coin flip 🙃

I have the same shaft in my Max D Driver, 3HL and 7W. However, the shaft in the fairway woods is heavier.

This one is next on my list - just ordered an HL 7H today. I think I may be able to go 7H - 5H - 7W but we'll see. Just trying to decide 55R or 65R Tensei Blue. May come down to a coin flip 🙃
That is a tough call for sure. I like the 65g because I know I might be hitting from less than optimal surfaces. Though AI smoke is stupidly forgiving, the extra heft and stability in the shaft should help with the way I plan on using this club.

Back